PS3 WiFi Signal!!! How can i improve it???

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • stinkbomb 16 May 2009 20:34:00 65 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey,

Every time i check my ps3 status i get a max of 50% connection to wifi, and that is at max, i use a bt homehub which is not that far away. Is there anything i can do to boost the wifi signal to the PS3 i am fedup of getting cut off midgame!

:(

Cheers
  • stinkbomb 16 May 2009 20:36:33 65 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thats not an option as the wire would have to cross the stairs ...
  • gohda 16 May 2009 20:41:54 6,642 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    for your ps3?
  • wayneh 16 May 2009 21:45:13 2,334 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Powerline adaptors?

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• George-Roper 16 May 2009 21:48:00 704 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    stinkbomb wrote:
    Hey,

Every time i check my ps3 status i get a max of 50% connection to wifi, and that is at max, i use a bt homehub which is not that far away. Is there anything i can do to boost the wifi signal to the PS3 i am fedup of getting cut off midgame!

Cheers

Its not just that you're on wireless, although that won't help of course. Connection to the PSN is just ropey, simple as that. I'm on wired now, after also having quality problems on wireless (in the same room, no less), and I find many occasions, still, where i'll get d/cd from games.

PSN connectivity is shit and while wired might improve it, on your end, it wont eliminate the problem.
  • TurboBailey 16 May 2009 22:27:53 687 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use a BT Homehub and the connection on wifi is lame at best. buy yourself a decent router the connect via that
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 22:36:35
    With wireless, there is simply too many variables that will reduce the strength of your signal... from walls, glass metal to the obscure, microwaves etc, and one major caveat is phones.

Unless ( i think ) your using N+ tech which utilizes 5ghz signals. I dont agree with George Roper, the majority of connections to PSN is good. But you will always get a few deviants. I guess hardware is also a major factor.

Other than that... Ethernet is the way to go.
  • morriss 16 May 2009 22:37:02 71,000 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get a Microsoft USB wireless adaptor. :)
  • gohda 16 May 2009 22:38:45 6,642 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaemonB wrote:
    With wireless, there is simply too many variables that will reduce the strength of your signal... from walls, glass metal to the obscure, microwaves etc, and one major caveat is phones.

Unless ( i think ) your using N+ tech which utilizes 5ghz signals. I dont agree with George Roper, the majority of connections to PSN is good. But you will always get a few deviants. I guess hardware is also a major factor.

Microwaves affect WiFi signal?
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 22:41:13
    THey work on 2.4 ghz frequency or so im lead to beleive.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 22:41:56
    also, fridge condensers have been reported to also interfere with wifi signals./

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

tips on wifi crap.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 23:05:10
    I have a homehub which is in the room directly below me and I get about 75-90% most of the time which is fine, except for Fifa 09 which is terrible to get an online game going because of "this game session is no longer available".

I never get disconnected from PSN and get pretty good download speeds.
  • S4MST3R 18 May 2009 23:53:16 10 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I use a BTHomeHub that's in the same room as the PS3, direct line of sight no more than 15 foot away. Hub is the latest black one, and I get 95-100% signal strength however still get ropey PSN connections.

I ended up using a couple of those mains plugs with RJ45 sockets in them, patch lead from Hub into one on one side of the lounge and then another behind the TV cables to the PS3 - not had an issue since doing this (touch wood!)

Baby monitors kill wireless too, they're also at 2.4GHz
  • mrpon 19 May 2009 10:40:26 28,927 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard making a tinfoil deflector works, ie: deflecting the signal to the direction you require.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Widge Moderator 19 May 2009 10:44:11 13,614 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gohda wrote:
    DaemonB wrote:

Microwaves affect WiFi signal?

Yeah, my microwave will kill the wifi, PS3 streaming, laptops, the works.

\o/ for brain tumours!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Tonka 19 May 2009 11:00:10 20,446 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    long Ethernet cable

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Kill_Crazy 19 May 2009 11:02:43 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    stinkbomb wrote:
    Hey,

Cheers

Its not just that you're on wireless, although that won't help of course. Connection to the PSN is just ropey, simple as that. I'm on wired now, after also having quality problems on wireless (in the same room, no less), and I find many occasions, still, where i'll get d/cd from games.

PSN connectivity is shit and while wired might improve it, on your end, it wont eliminate the problem.

Since going to Sky for my ISP i've not had any problems with disconnects. Wireless is fucking dodgy on the PS3 though so I drilled a hole in the wall between kitch and lounge and voila! job done. Think i may get wireless interference from my TV Sender but changing the wireless channel sorted that out for my laptop.
  • StixxUK 19 May 2009 11:19:00 7,255 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another wifi tip... Always use WPA, never WEP!
  • Jonsend 19 May 2009 11:24:39 708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My Wifi to PS3 connection has always been rock solid - I have a launch 60GB
  • riceNpea 19 May 2009 13:23:32 592 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jonsend wrote:
    My Wifi to PS3 connection has always been rock solid - I have a launch 60GB

me too. no probs with my belkin. it's 'n' technology but i havent a clue what that means or how to use it. any tips? i'm on talktalk & get speeds of about 7 meg
  • niteninja 19 May 2009 15:54:24 528 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had the same problem with my old router,got a netgear wireless hub top end gear was like 150 quid.
    Signal strength never drops below 95% now.
    Spend big and get the best router you can afford.
  • mrpon 19 May 2009 15:55:55 28,927 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a conspiracy.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • chris1000001 14 Nov 2011 06:48:10 1 posts
    Registered 3 years ago
    homeplug adaptors... this is what I am currently considering. I bought a Ps3 on Saturday and although it can log into the Playstation network, it keeps breaking when I am playing online games.

I have about 40% connection, and I connect to my landlords router which is about 20 metres away in the house next door. Any better suggestions will be appreciated.
  • Gormless 14 Nov 2011 21:54:57 5 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My PS3 with an n wifi signal = shit, my PS3 with a g wifi signal = 100%, conclution use Homeplugs is simpler lol
  • Carlo 14 Nov 2011 22:02:08 18,063 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    buy a couple of homeplug adaptors and your problem will be solved.
    This, but it you want to buy an airport express,I have one for sale, and its the latest model.

Pm me for a price.it's mint.

PSN ID: Djini

• Page

of 1

Previous Next