Rate the last book you read Page 2

• Page

of 49 First / Last

• FHUTA 21 Apr 2009 13:48:17 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    FHUTA wrote:

just save yourself the trauma of reading the third book - it's pretty bad and kind of belittles the interesting things in the first two.

not that the first two are great - interesting premise and characters, but ever so slight and with little charm to the writing quality. (though I did read all three in about a week so they are a bit moreish, just nowhere near as well written as the spin-off TV series)

Nonsense imo. The 3rd is just very different and less about him as someone going about murdering people, and more about what makes him tick. I prefer the books myself, the TV shows are too drawn out and have daft sub-plots that are utterly irrelevant.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the new series on Friday though (in HD too!)

really?

fair enough I just think the books as a whole lack character (and characters), atmosphere and that the third in particular is a bad book in the series as it removes the psychological aspects from Dexter and throws the interesting morality and any subtlety away with the whole - it's demons what make him kill people - angle. As a one off I can see how it works, but it diminishes the series as it makes any struggles or amusing nihilism moot in the previous books.

As for the TV show - it probably does have a few silly subplots, but they're no worse than the few in the books the wedding cake auteur etc. and it brings more depth to the surrounding characters and of course Dex himself.

That said the two formats have diverged a fair bit from the first book / series so it's pretty likely you'll end up preferring one over the other, either way.

I stand by my warning over the third book though - simply because it did dissappoint a lot of Dexter fans and was poorly recieved (just see the differance in amazon reader reviews) and so if someone liked the first two the odds are the third'll be a let down.

/will probably now read the latest one anyway as I'm curious
  • ilmaestro 21 Apr 2009 13:49:35 32,448 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I keep changing my mind about WWZ. I won't deny that it is very entertaining, but at the same time I kept thinking that the whole thing was basically Max Brooks going 'I KNOW LOTS ABOUT ZOMBIES' and little else.
    We know, you say the same thing every time the book gets mentioned.

• Dougs 21 Apr 2009 13:56:39 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FHUTA wrote:
    I stand by my warning over the third book though - simply because it did dissappoint a lot of Dexter fans and was poorly recieved (just see the differance in amazon reader reviews) and so if someone liked the first two the odds are the third'll be a let down.

/will probably now read the latest one anyway as I'm curious

That's a fair point and one I've seen many times here. That it's Demons that make him kill has always been there for me. His Dark Passenger was a constant in the first book (can't remember the 2nd) and it's the one thing I struggled to get to grips with in the TV shows - although I understand the 3rd Season addresses this a bit. The whole Rita/ex-husband thing was silly imo - in the books, I understood that it was all part of the game to appear normal, whilst in the TV shows it portrayed him more as someone who had those feelings, which he went to great pains to illustrate he doesn't. Still better than most things on telly though!

Is there a 4th? That vaguely rings a bell now, thinking about it.
  • FHUTA 21 Apr 2009 14:11:06 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

That's a fair point and one I've seen many times here. That it's Demons that make him kill has always been there for me. His Dark Passenger was a constant in the first book (can't remember the 2nd) and it's the one thing I struggled to get to grips with in the TV shows - although I understand the 3rd Season addresses this a bit. The whole Rita/ex-husband thing was silly imo - in the books, I understood that it was all part of the game to appear normal, whilst in the TV shows it portrayed him more as someone who had those feelings, which he went to great pains to illustrate he doesn't. Still better than most things on telly though!

Is there a 4th? That vaguely rings a bell now, thinking about it.

I saw what I thought was a fourth book on holiday, but I haven't noticed it since, but I only checked amazon the once for it so...

as for the Dark Passenger - it was indeed there from the off, but I like ambiguity I suppose and liked that it could be read as his mind / detachment or something vague and supernatural.

It just became a lot less interesting for me when it removed that layer and made it feel IMHO like a cop out and made Dex seem less dark.
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2009 15:36:13 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4th one is called Dexter by Design and takes place in Paris on his honeymoon.

/Reserves at Library
  • Tonka 11 May 2009 12:01:52 20,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Protector's War by S. M. Stirling
    Second entry in the Change series. The post-apocalyptic theme is almost completely missin in the latter 2/3rds of this book. Shame really. It's not bad at all, it's just not focused on what I would like it to focus on.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• PearOfAnguish 11 May 2009 12:19:14 7,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Candle by John Barnes
    Third in the Meme Wars series. Not quite as unremittingly grim as the second, but still paints quite a disturbing vision of the future.
  • HarryPalmer 14 May 2009 10:30:11 3,321 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

7/10

WW2 - Nazi Germany - Young girl and Death

It's good - I cried a lot at the end - but I felt a bit manipulated - the guy is a capable writer though, and it's written from interesting perspectives.
  • glaeken 14 May 2009 10:52:47 11,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The Protector's War by S. M. Stirling
    Second entry in the Change series. The post-apocalyptic theme is almost completely missin in the latter 2/3rds of this book. Shame really. It's not bad at all, it's just not focused on what I would like it to focus on.

I am afraid the post apocalyptic bits only get less and less in the books that follow that one.

Really by this point in the series the apocalypse is over and it's more about the new societies getting to grips with one another.

The next books in the series moves on to the next generation as well so the main characters have only ever known the new world. There is some pretty cool stuff though with a big expedtion into the unknown to discover what has become of the rest of the country though and that gets a bit more back in to post apocalypse type themes.
  • Tonka 14 May 2009 11:38:14 20,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers. I was afraid it would become more and more medieval as the series progressed. It's not half bad if that is what you are after. But I'm personally done with it.

• HarryPalmer 27 May 2009 11:05:37 3,321 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

9/10

Awesome surreal anti-war novel, hilariously funny at times, and harrowing too.
  • andywilkie35 27 May 2009 11:24:28 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Third Policeman

8/10

(Deliberately) bizarre in places, funny and a great ending.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Tonka 15 Jun 2009 07:41:30 20,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wastelands - Stories of the Apocalypse
    Great anthology that focuses on post apocalyptic tales. Some are, inevitably, better than others but if you are curious about the genre this is a great place to start. (If you are a fan of the genre you've no doubt already read this)

• BravoGolf Moderator 15 Jun 2009 09:15:02 12,745 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wheel of Time: Book 1.

94%

Brilliant book, I've read the series up until book 10(!) before, about 10 years ago. I'd forgotten how engaging a series it was, how well the world was realised.
  • andywilkie35 15 Jun 2009 09:24:50 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Damned Utd

10/10

Loved every bit of it.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Tonka 15 Jun 2009 09:29:47 20,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    The Wheel of Time: Book 1.

94%

Brilliant book, I've read the series up until book 10(!) before, about 10 years ago. I'd forgotten how engaging a series it was, how well the world was realised.

Isn't this the series that never will be concluded?

• sirtacos 16 Jun 2009 21:09:04 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    The Third Policeman

8/10

(Deliberately) bizarre in places, funny and a great ending.

I remember wanting to get this because of Lost.

Now that Lost has turned shite I have a legit reason to finally buy it.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2009 22:14:27
    b]Rum Diary - Hunter S Thomson
    3rd time read - after hearing that Johhny Dep was doing a film version (of another HST book) - superb prose, great characters, prays that the movie is at least as half as good

/HST = GOD
  • Deleted user 16 June 2009 22:23:22
    HarryPalmer wrote:

9/10

Husss
  • Deleted user 16 June 2009 22:36:06
    richardtock wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:

9/10

Husss

Try Sirens of Titan / Cats Cradle - infinitely more interesting works by Vonnegut Jr

/Has all books by Jr (Player Piano a bit shit tho)
  • Deleted user 16 June 2009 22:41:21
    EDIT - first edition from US of both Cats Cradle and Sirens of Titan - sadly unsigned as he rarely comes to UK = 2 copies of each - none for sale - that be my pension
  • DFective 17 Jun 2009 17:25:19 2,013 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Game Of Thrones : A Song Of Ice And Fire Book 1

10/10

Was awesome. Can't wait to get into the second one, which I've just ordered off Amazon. The massive size of the book was daunting at first, but wasn't really a problem in the end. I would have liked it to have been longer, actually.

I'm guessing Ned isn't dead. The way it was written made it seem like something odd was going on, and just as I was starting to believe he'd actually been killed off, Sansa even points out that the head looks nothing like him.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jun 2009 20:39:51 22,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amis, Koba the Dread

see what are you reading...
  • morriss 17 Jun 2009 20:42:40 70,982 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do Audiobooks count?

If they do, then: Farewell My Lovely - Raymond Chandler read by Elliot Gould 10/10
  • Deleted user 17 June 2009 21:31:10
    Does he read the excellent old fashioned racism?

Also: you Cats Cradle people are wrong. It's not as human as S5.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2009 22:48:13
    Have a Nice Day.

Mick Foley.

Ten out of fucking ten.

http://www.amazon.com/Mankind-Have-Nice-Blood-Sweatsocks/dp/0060392991
  • RMXtreme 22 Jun 2009 15:08:21 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raymond Chandler - The Long Goodbye 9,5/10

Very Noir, very hard boiled, very good. My favourite Chandler.
  • iokthemonkey 22 Jun 2009 15:15:14 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers By J.R. Hartley.

Fantastic stuff. It's a shame the movie - great as it is - doesn't don't do it justice.

9/10

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• RMXtreme 22 Jun 2009 15:30:32 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Films rarely do justice to books. I tried watching the film shortly after reading the book, but got annoyed by the liberties that were taken.

You mean Tolkien, no?
  • HarryPalmer 22 Jun 2009 15:30:34 3,321 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beowulf

Boring
  • Page

of 49 First / Last