Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (console version) Page 527

• Page

of 533 First / Last

• pinkpanzer 31 Jan 2013 10:26:39 51 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Aftermath map pack in BF3 has redeemed it slightly in my eyes - those maps and Alborez (?) Mountain come closer to the fun of BC2. Was the lack of destruction in BF3 to do with consoles not having the grunt or was it a design decision? Either way it was a retrogressive step. The whole joy of maps like Cold War was in firing RPGs through the sides of buildings and watching the whole thing come shuddering down **is nostalgic**
  • Mr-Brett 31 Jan 2013 10:31:23 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /sues andy for libel

Yeah destruction is a big one, definitely need more of that. The smaller rush maps are great, you get a really good sense of a proper front line, team work becomes extra important for maintaining the line or momentum in attacking the line.

Conquest is alright but when it often involves one or two people capturing a point without any resistance I can't help but think the mode could be improved. I realise there's no real incentive to sit at a base and wait for someone to attack, that's boring. Perhaps more little capture points, maybe even as many as 10* but you can only capture ones adjacent to you own, so it creates a front line.

*well probably an odd number to avoid stalemates.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Mr-Brett 31 Jan 2013 10:39:36 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pinkpanzer wrote:
    The Aftermath map pack in BF3 has redeemed it slightly in my eyes - those maps and Alborez (?) Mountain come closer to the fun of BC2. Was the lack of destruction in BF3 to do with consoles not having the grunt or was it a design decision? Either way it was a retrogressive step. The whole joy of maps like Cold War was in firing RPGs through the sides of buildings and watching the whole thing come shuddering down **is nostalgic**
    Well obvious they had the grunt for it in BC2, I don't know the details since I don't work at DICE (one day perhaps :p) but the most likely explanation is that consoles didn't have the grunt to do it AND all the fancy shiny effects. I hope that isn't the reason but it makes the most sense technically but the least sense in terms of good design. Gameplay should trump fancy effects even if it means releasing a 'gimped' version on consoles.

Portable view - Never forget.

• andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 10:45:34 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The best conquest map I ever played on bc2 was harvest day. Think I was playing with triari, the game went on for nearly an hour as we couldn't break the deadlock. Because of where the capture points were located it was like having a frontline. The worst conquest maps are when you just run around in a circle, capturing points but facing no real opposition. Increased player count does improve this though
  • pinkpanzer 31 Jan 2013 10:52:06 51 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr Brett. Yes that's pretty much what I thought must be the case. You could feel the engine almost pulling itself apart on the console just trying to run some of the original BF3 maps (especially the 'beta' of Metro). But the game feels a lot more locked down now, especially on the Aftermath maps. BF4 will presumably appear on the Durango and Orbis so maybe we can have destruction and eye-candy? But I still agree with the consensus - BC2 was just more fun.
  • andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 10:53:42 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I read the story on the front page, it makes it sound like BF is going to become a yearly franchise...
  • Tryhard 31 Jan 2013 10:56:38 3,485 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good news if they do bring out BC3 with everything that made BC2 fun.

As to taking away Conquest, that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard about doing to a Battlefield game.BF3 was mainly designed for PC and BC2 was mainly designed for console,and the maps reflect that.

BC3 in my mind,should be full destruction of buildings,no guided lock on BS,no legs,they just get in the freaking way :eek:,no jets.Maps scaled to amount of players for console and pc.
  • pinebear 31 Jan 2013 11:01:48 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did someone mention Harvest Day?

• ComradePete 31 Jan 2013 11:03:42 464 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:

no legs,they just get in the freaking way :eek:
    Yeah - stupid legs, who needs 'em!

/starts cutting through legs with butter knife
  • AcidSnake 31 Jan 2013 11:09:51 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It pains be but it'll probably be BF4 they're talking about...BF3 brought in millions so they won't abandon that...

Now with MoH gone there'll be another franchise to alternate between them...My favourite new tactic now has become hiding next to enemy tanks...
    It's like hiding behind a bulletproof wall...And if they know you're there they sometimes stupidly jump out to kill you at which point you just jump in...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• AcidSnake 31 Jan 2013 11:32:28 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @anthonypappa:
    Their premium model is great? Really?
    What about if I fancy a quick go of BF3? I need to download about 16GB of stuff just to be able to have a game right now...Even if I don't want to play on any of the new maps...
    What was wrong with the old way of free map packs every few months?
    (that still had the download problem, but not these insanely bloated sizes)...
    Buying the limited edition because that gave you access to the first map pack, then announcing a premium subscription, then announcing a premium version of the game...

Flourishing isn't a part of it as you'd have to invest hundreds of hours to unlock unnecessary stuff like a new decal pattern applied to the left side of the clip of a single gun...

I agree yearly updates would ruin the franchise and game quality, but the premium model is another horrible thing IMO...If BF4 will have the same premium shit I won't even bother trying it out...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 11:45:23 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't mind the premium model really, but I hate how they put the patch with the DLC. As long as the matchmaking is clever enough so you never end up in a server where there are maps you can't play, and the community is large enough to be split, then I have no problems. It's only annoying when you get kicked from the server every few maps as you don't have the required DLC.

The premium model won't really work with yearly iterations either, as you won't want to buy many map packs if the game will be replaced every year. A new game every 2+ years is far better IMO, otherwise they risk killing the franchise for short term profit

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:46:59 31-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 11:53:22 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @anthonypappa - the problem is that every player has to download the maps as a "patch" whenever the latest map pack is released, regardless of whether you buy them or not. I managed to pick up premium for around 7.50 on the PC and it's great value for that price. If it was around 20-25 instead of 35 then I'd be more in favour of it, but I don't think you save enough to warrant paying full price up front, especially seeing as though there is no guarantee of quality

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:55:05 31-01-2013
  • AcidSnake 31 Jan 2013 11:59:18 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @anthonypappa:
    Premium gives 5 map packs (including Karkand) and a fancy black knife...It more than doubles the maps available...

The comment about the pick up and play is important I feel, as I won't even contemplate having a quick game as I'd be forced to download all map packs even if I don't have premium basically...

If the game is catered to the hardcore though they'd basically lose any revenue after the last map pack comes out (having invested players doesn't pay the bills), so no way they aren't thinking about releasing the sequel ASAP...

So it would lead to hardcore gamers being pissed off their game (that they paid a lot for) being supplanted so soon and casual gamers being put off by the piecemeal releasing of content...

That said I'm sure BF4 will break records...

• andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 12:07:59 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @AcidSnake - Indeed, I imagine BF4 will sell by the tens of millions. I wonder what direction they will take with it, considering the success of 3. There has been so much criticism (a lot of it unjustified) from the "hardcore" on the Origin forums, but then again there is always a vocal minority who moan about everything.

Also, How was Blur?!
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 14:37:18
    are people still playing this?

cba w/BF3 & premium and 300GB worth of downloads
  • andytheadequate 5 Apr 2013 19:30:41 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @cozeny - me and Acidsnake still play a bit on the 360, generally quite late at weekends though.

It's 3.74 on Steam at the moment, I'm really tempted to buy it again...

I just need Acid to hurry up and get his pc!

Edited by andytheadequate at 19:32:42 05-04-2013
  • AcidSnake 5 Apr 2013 19:40:51 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll get it!...

Oh and Cozeny is on my FL I believe, so if I see him on I'll join...
    Hoo'ah!

• Ultrasoundwave 20 May 2013 17:40:43 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decided to fire this up for old times sake today.

Very pleased to report that a) Its still awesome, and b) absolutely rammed full of people.

I jumped straight into a game of rush with two full squadrons of players, played for a straight hour with no drop outs or lack of replacements - it would seem that this game is still as popular as it should be.

Got bored of Battlefield 3 a while back and got rid of it, this game is miles ahead of it.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• andytheadequate 20 May 2013 20:02:22 7,957 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave - do you have the VIP pass? My theory is that plenty of people still play it, just not with the VIP pass. I always end up in half full games, yet I know others don't have this problem...
  • onestepfromlost 20 May 2013 20:48:56 1,966 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I miss eggmilf, played bf3 for about a week. just didn't do it the same.
  • macmurphy 20 May 2013 21:07:16 879 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite liked BF3 in the end. The final maps saved it, it ended up feeling like battlefield again. Still think there's no need for jets and that the reduced player count on consoles hurt the game, but I ended up liking it a lot. Also I agree, the destructive environments in the first were much better

Definitely not much of a Eurogamer community on it, also miss the MILF days. If anyone wants to play BF3 (including coop) I'm always keen - GT: Carpark karaoke.
  • AcidSnake 21 May 2013 08:24:28 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We could try a BC2/EGGMILF reunion night?

• Alastair 21 May 2013 08:31:02 14,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd probably be up for that...
    Although, there's a Double XP event on BF3 this weekend so I'll be playing that as much as possible!
    I got much further with BF3 than I did with BFBC2, possibly because I came to BC2 quite late in the cycle..

Not as nice as I used to be

• AcidSnake 21 May 2013 08:49:35 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't have to be this weekend :)

If enough people are up for it we could do maybe a day of the week?

Just like old times!

• Ultrasoundwave 21 May 2013 08:55:51 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i'll be on most nights - do you guys play the regular MP or Vietnam?

• AcidSnake 21 May 2013 08:58:19 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just play Vanilla...I detest Vietnam...No destruction, no cover, and badly designed maps...IMO...

• Ultrasoundwave 21 May 2013 09:02:21 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thank god, i also prefer the standard MP.

GT is The Big Mull

• Page

of 533 First / Last