Motorsport Page 682

• Page

of 845 First / Last

• Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 22:59:51 17,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Also, Alonso and Hamilton were immense at the end, another great race by di Resta.
    I think Alonso will be driver of the year for me again. He's so good.
  • AaronTurner 30 Jun 2013 23:07:48 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watching the interviews now, seems like Hamilton has the answer to the puncture issue, case closed.
  • Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 23:32:02 17,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ferrari/RBR: Young Driver days should be Pirelli test for race drivers

Of course, Mercedes would not benefit from this at all.
  • RobTheBuilder 30 Jun 2013 23:43:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    While recently discussing tickets to races ..

Has anyone been to the Australian race at Albert Park? I hope to go next year and any recommendations would be handy!
  • X201 1 Jul 2013 11:49:07 15,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has Rusty actually made it home yet?
  • Deleted user 1 July 2013 12:07:58
    just caught up with the race today after being out all day yesterday. Crazy. Gutted for hamilton. Through out the race i was calling vettel all names under the sun, and when he seemed to slow through the hangar straight, and then pulled over i went nuts.

Great race for the championship.

Great recovery drives by webber and hamilton.
  • Psychotext 1 Jul 2013 12:30:17 53,946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheering when someone retires or crashes always seemed like the classy thing to do. I'm guessing not many were cheering when Hamilton's tyre went. :p
  • shamblemonkee 1 Jul 2013 15:48:58 14,320 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mixed feelings about Vettel's retirement.

I had found myself thinking over the last couple of races "a vettel incident wold liven up the championship", but immediately the angel on my shoulder would pipe up "if you're wishing misfortune on someone to even out the championship, they probably deserve to be leading the championship"

The car is part of the package though and sometimes that has to mess up. can't say i was too upset for him at the time, understand his pain but enjoying the prospect of a potentially closer championship battle more.

On the tyres - can't agree with Gary "make it up" Anderson. Seems like a more complex issue than just T4 and those kerbs are not shonky they're pretty standard fare.
  • meggsy 1 Jul 2013 16:00:48 1,628 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought Gary Anderson was pointing to tyres being dragged sideways across a very sharp outside kerb edge, combined with the Pirelli tyres having weak and vulnerable side-walls, and possibly the low psi as well?

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 16:13:41
    Pirelli tyres are garbage to begin with. It's a shame tyre manufacturers are monopolised in racing. All teams should have the right to chose their own.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Jul 2013 16:25:47 14,320 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meggsy well possibly but those kerbs were the same last year. but the fact that the failures were not alll at t4 leads me to beleive its a little more complicated.

@feeg such a misinformed opinion. the pirelli tyres are made to be high degradation by design and specific request of the FIA.

the issues this weekend have come to a head through a combination of no ability for pirelli to test the tyres and self interest from the teams in moving to change them.
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 16:47:19 4,367 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While the buck obviously stops with them I think that Pirelli will get more flak than they deserve for this. As others have said they have to work within the bounds set by the FIA, and then deal with whiny fans and even whinier team principles with no capacity to test with current cars on a variety of circuits. Then teams run the tyres on the absolute limits of the guidelines set by Pirelli (or even beyond, as Red Bull did with their camber a while ago) and then you end up with tyres blowing up.

I think that Anderson's interpretation of the causes was plausible. His technical insights generally seem pretty solid to me; he only seems to talk bollocks when he's predicting the future.
  • Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 16:51:58 17,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    @meggsy well possibly but those kerbs were the same last year. but the fact that the failures were not alll at t4 leads me to beleive its a little more complicated.
    I think damage was also reported on the tyres of Vettel and Alonso, only theirs did not fail. What's consistent is that it was always the left tyres failing or damaged. 'cut' was the term Anderson used.
  • PatrickEwing 1 Jul 2013 17:32:15 2,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On a different note, and apologies if this as ridiculous as it sounds, but does anyone think the powers that be at RB gimp Webber's car for the starts to reduce the risk of interfering with Vettel's race?
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 17:37:38 4,367 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's been suggested, but he's always had difficulties with his starts. I've said it before, but I wonder how different his career would've been if F1 had rolling starts.
  • Psychotext 1 Jul 2013 17:42:16 53,946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Webber isn't strong psychologically. It's not surprise to me that he goes to pieces when directly up against Vettel, especially given how much he clearly dislikes him.
  • thelzdking 1 Jul 2013 17:51:58 4,367 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think that's come about from his perception - rightly or wrongly - that the team favour Vettel over him.
  • Mekanik 1 Jul 2013 18:10:07 3,469 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

I actually think RBR and Ferrari should fuck off.

The tyres are a massive issue as just proven in the previous race. Merc are justified in having done the tyre test and still teams argue over whether to improve the tyres or not.

Young driver test is just that. Young drivers. That is mercs punishment (missing the YD test). Further tyre tests with race drivers and current cars can be conducted for the benefit of all the teams at a later date.

Pirelli still not signed a new contract yet? They may just be holding off until it is so late in the season that the FIA and Bernie will have to accept whatever they say. Which may just be unbreakable tyres.
  • RobTheBuilder 1 Jul 2013 18:13:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @feeg86 they are designed to the specification set by the FIA who then give them very little time to test them in a real race scenario.

If Pirelli were allowed to make them as good as possible they would be like the bridgestones, perfect and bloody boring.
  • altitude2k 1 Jul 2013 18:43:17 4,110 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's no way in hell the YDT ban for Mercedes will be overturned, but had the hearing occurred after Silverstone, I can't believe they would have received the same penalty.
  • superdelphinus 1 Jul 2013 18:44:39 8,047 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it wanted to hold any pretence at being a quasi-legal process it would have done
  • AaronTurner 1 Jul 2013 18:56:10 7,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe they should introduce tyre competition again. Obviously there were issues last time, but there are issues now too...
  • altitude2k 1 Jul 2013 19:08:32 4,110 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know about that. The more variables there are, the more likely it is that you'll end up with another tyre lottery.

Although remind me, were they able to change compounds mid-season when they were competing?
  • RobTheBuilder 1 Jul 2013 19:09:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone who believes in complete fairness in FIA hearings really needs to read 'No Angel' - the biography of Bernie.

It's amazing some of the things that went on.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Jul 2013 19:12:29 14,320 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I scored 60pts in the fantasy f1, whoop!!!

i had vettel finishing in 6th (i thought he was due some bad luck as i alluded to earlier) turns out he had worse luck than i anticipated.

got sutil, hulk and di resta spot on though.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 19:13:44 01-07-2013
  • SaucyGeoff 1 Jul 2013 19:25:34 2,574 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

If its not Young Drivers Test, surely Mercedes are free to participate.

EDIT: although the FIA have just announced its now a full on race driver test. merc still banned.

Edited by SaucyGeoff at 19:36:39 01-07-2013
  • Jono62 1 Jul 2013 19:31:34 14,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I scored 60pts in the fantasy f1, whoop!!!

i had vettel finishing in 6th (i thought he was due some bad luck as i alluded to earlier) turns out he had worse luck than i anticipated.

got sutil, hulk and di resta spot on though.
    I got Rosberg, Webber and Hamilton spot on. Don't remember putting Rosberg and Webber 1 and 2!
  • superdelphinus 1 Jul 2013 19:35:13 8,047 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mark noble reckons the young drivers' test is turning into a full blown (#punz) tyre test, proper drivers, the full shebang
  • altitude2k 1 Jul 2013 19:37:26 4,110 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do kinda hope that eliminates Mercedes ban. It seems clear to me that they were trying to help Pirelli improve the situation, regardless of how they may have gone about it.
  • Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 19:41:37 17,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder if RBR and Ferrari were promised this to make up for Mercedes' supposed advantage. If so, I wonder if Brawn agreed to it? If not, I wonder if he'll challenge it.
  • Page

of 845 First / Last