Commute to work, how long is acceptable? Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• sport 24 Mar 2013 12:43:18 12,775 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mowgli, you tell that judge to come to you!
  • ibenam 24 Mar 2013 12:43:29 1,472 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    20 minutes drive, 15 of which is on one traffic laden road.

Ive refused jobs which are more than 30 minutes away as i bloody love sleep.
  • elstoof 24 Mar 2013 12:44:34 7,728 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you can book a b&b for the consecutive days in the same town or en route to the next one the day after, you should be alright. I'd be happy to do there and back in one day if I had a day at home the next day, no problem.
  • disusedgenius 24 Mar 2013 12:48:22 5,400 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the day off inbetween should make it bearable. You just have to completely write off 3 days in the week - which is a pretty good ratio, of course. Also I'm assuming that your job pays enough for the amount of petrol/B&Bs you're going to need.
  • Khanivor 24 Mar 2013 12:49:07 40,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My current commute takes me about 45 seconds.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2013 12:49:19 8,309 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did not know making your own SCATter cushions was illegal?
  • jetsetdemo 24 Mar 2013 12:59:13 31 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the moment I getup at 5:10 and hit the road around 15 mins after. I drive from Mid Kent on the m2 through blackwall tunnel and them right through central London past Bank of England, St Paul's ect. I arrive in Camden town at 6:45 most days. Best time recorded was a speed run at 1:02! My journey is 47 miles. Now getting home on the other hand is usually a nightmare. I usually vary my times. So on a Monday I go around 3:30pm and make it home around 5:15. Otherwise it's better to stay till after 6pm and with a bit of luck I am back by 8pm. Traffic out of London on a Friday is unbelievably heavy. I aim for a 2pm escape and get home for 3:30pm turn the laptop on and finish working over a few beers. I stay in town usually once a week so I can cover pm tasks at work. I guess I am lucky my company pick up most of my expenses and I have a nice Merc for a company car. I don't work weekends. I have been living in Kent and working in London for just over 6 years, I have been with my company for 17 years this year.
  • warlockuk 24 Mar 2013 13:06:11 19,185 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    45mins - 1hr each way with the car, if I have to get the train it's around 90 mins - 2hrs.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 24 March 2013 13:32:02
    Yeah I'm thinking b&b for consecutive days is definitely a good , thanks.

The party isn't great but that is because I'm part time, but the idea is that I wouldn't be paying much living with her folks.

I need to somehow sell this to my boss!
  • chopsen 24 Mar 2013 13:44:16 16,125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 hrs each way?!
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 13:49:39
    Yup! This b&b and Travelodge thing makes a lot of sense, would cost the same add travel but without the torture.
  • teamHAM 24 Mar 2013 13:53:15 3,042 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A few years ago I had to drive to Gatwick every day to work. It took about 1hr 40 in the morning and about 2hrs in the evening. I told myself constantly through the process that led up to me getting the job that it'd be fine, and that the money was worth it. After a few weeks though it became soul destroying so started looking for another job. I even decided on a few occasions to just pack an overnight bag and spend the night in a travelodge close to the Airport.

Not a lot worse than having a shitty day at work and then spending an hour afterwards sat in a traffic jam 70 miles from home.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• StarchildHypocrethes 24 Mar 2013 13:53:51 26,138 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did 2.5hrs each way for year a while back and it was the shittest of shit.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 13:54:03 24-03-2013
  • chopsen 24 Mar 2013 13:54:49 16,125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I don't think commuting 3 hrs each way every day is doable, even if you are only working 3 day weeks. How long is a working day?

Personally, I'd put the max reasonable commute to just over an hour, maybe 1:30 if you're guaranteed to get away in time and not have to ever take any work home with you ever, etc. 6 hrs of commuting a day! You'd go mental, or probably kill yourself from crashing due to driving exhausted.
  • Madder-Max 24 Mar 2013 13:57:11 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    5min drive or 26 min walk to the pub each way. Any longer would be unnacceptable

99 problems and being ginger is one

• FortysixterUK 24 Mar 2013 14:57:33 391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Upto an hour each way is just acceptable, with 30 mins each way being the ideal. Fortunately, for the last 6 years I have worked just under 4 miles from my home address, sometimes it takes longer to find a parking place on a side street than it does driving there( the drive, if I catch all the lights, is about 12 minutes). When the weathers nice I tend to cycle. Of course with the weather as it is, cycling will probably amount to around 2 weeks this year....if that ! There are currently light snow flurries outside, near Heathrow.
  • Maturin 24 Mar 2013 15:07:10 3,094 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had some long commutes in my time due to how rubbish public transport is in the UK. Quite annoying doing temp jobs in parts of Manchester where a 20 minute car ride would take 90 minutes via two buses with long waits and changeovers. And when I worked out in Glossop I had to get a train into Manchester - opposite the direction I wanted - before getting a train where I wanted to go.

After a few years of that kind of thing I never minded long car commutes once I could afford my own wheels. At least I was in my own space, with my own music. Compared to long bus journeys with lots of waiting being in my own car felt like home already. I worked all summer one year in an office near Manchester airport. The traffic home was always awful, but I didn't mind after years of bus hell.

I did then work for a couple of years near Blackburn and commuted the forty or so miles via car every morning. But I didn't mind. It wouldn't have been doable by public transport.

However I spent most of the last decade working from home. Which removes the whole issue entirely, but does bring problems of its own. Now I live in a Dorset village you need a car to get anywhere. Though there are bus services you couldn't really use them to commute.
  • THFourteen 24 Mar 2013 15:37:13 33,815 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    30 minutes by train each way. I'm happy with it because it allows me to read a book for at least an hour each day, which is great.
    yeah that's nice, or some light gaming too if you can get a seat. Often London commuter trains are rammed if you don't live at the end of the line so it can be a less than pleasant experience.
  • THFourteen 24 Mar 2013 15:37:20 33,815 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Mar 2013 15:44:01 11,336 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

So, 3 hour commutes. Am I crazy even if this is only a couple days a week?
    Yes, your quality of life will be shit.
    If you can avoid it, do so

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Maturin 24 Mar 2013 15:48:09 3,094 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Graveland wrote:
    30 minutes by train each way. I'm happy with it because it allows me to read a book for at least an hour each day, which is great.
    yeah that's nice, or some light gaming too if you can get a seat. Often London commuter trains are rammed if you don't live at the end of the line so it can be a less than pleasant experience.
    I used to live in West Finchley - near the end of the Northern Line, which meant a nice seat on the tube in the morning and a chance to read. Coming the other way though it was sardines ofr half the journey. Not fun in summer of 2005 - it was very hot. Thankfully I was working from home at this point and used the tube for short work-related trips into town that weren't necessarily during rush hour. My wife though worked in the city and often looked like she'd been in a fight by the time she stepped off the tube of an evening.

We did live right next door to West Finchley tube station though, which really did make travelling around London easy.

Edited by Maturin at 15:48:48 24-03-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2013 16:53:08 8,309 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a 18 hour commute starting in just over an hour. (Meeting in China at 0830 on Tuesday Chinese time).
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 23:53:31
    I have a fifteen minute walk to work from home. Good thing is is that as I come home for lunch it means I walk for an hour a day which is vital as rest of the time I sit on my arse. It's great being so near.

Mind you you can walk everywhere in fifteen minutes in Inverness it's so damn small.

I'd rather be in China though...
  • mal 25 Mar 2013 00:18:22 22,683 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    15 minutes in Beijing gets you nowhere. And a couple of shades browner thanks to all the crap in the air. But at least the underground is all new and shiny, and still stupidly cheap (though I seem to recall last time I was there, a single journey was about a hundredth of the quoted figure there - basically free for anyone from abroad).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• CosmicFuzz 19 Apr 2013 10:02:16 24,825 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm currently working in Glasgow, living in Edinburgh. Commute isn't too bad though, just under an hour by train, and it's about a 25 minute walk to the station from my flat. The office is about 5 mins away on the other end too. Find the morning one is fine, wake up on it, read book/play game but the evening one is the worst. I've fallen asleep on it a couple times!

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Trane 19 Apr 2013 10:28:31 4,056 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a 5 minute walk. It's great.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 10:41:55
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I'm currently working in Glasgow, living in Edinburgh. Commute isn't too bad though, just under an hour by train, and it's about a 25 minute walk to the station from my flat. The office is about 5 mins away on the other end too. Find the morning one is fine, wake up on it, read book/play game but the evening one is the worst. I've fallen asleep on it a couple times!
    Did this the other way for a while. Morning wasn't too bad - read my book/paper - but standing up for an hour squeezed in on the way home was a nightmare.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 10:43:32
    Oh and handed in notice for flat, we are moving down to engerland in June and thus the horrible commute will start. But boss seems fine with it and currently plan to get train up - stay for two nights - train down. Not too bad.
  • imamazed 19 Apr 2013 10:47:45 5,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    25 minute walk to my office. Planning to work in London (or at least hoping to) come September, so getting ready for a potentially nasty commute if I don't find a place in the meantime
  • Page

of 9 First / Last