Giving Dev/Publisher feedback...anyone else do this?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 14:05:24 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I make it a point to try to contact developers to let them know when I really enjoy a game -- especially one that gets a bad/mediocre review or no coverage at all. I also do it to publishers to express my desire for sequels to games I enjoy or request localisation for Japanese titles.

Sometimes this takes some effort as the majority of developers and publishers seem to not want any feedback from customers having no kind of feedback submission form: only being focused on getting mail for product support. Midway is the only company I can think of that has a feedback form and they also respond within a matter of hours -- you do have to register an account, however.

I've had direct response from an individual in a development house once (Farsight Studios) or from PR people (Eidos, Sunsoft). Most of the time it might fall on deaf ears or go into a mailbox that never gets checked, but I still think it's worthwhile to let people know directly that you liked their game and give some constructive feedback. I know I like hearing thanks, etc. from the customers on my job.

Anyone else go through the effort to make direct contact and express an opinion (hopefully constructive/positive -- I don't see the point in telling someone their game sucks, frankly)?
  • morriss 1 Jan 2009 14:05:53 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No.
  • Duffking 1 Jan 2009 14:08:32 7,556 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    No.

Haven't you written some reviews for this website before?

:p
  • Deleted user 1 January 2009 14:09:06
    No but I sometimes want to. Like when ass creed was being slammed and I thought it was one of the beat games I'd played I wanted to email them. But then I remenbwree that it wasn't exactly a small studio and it sold pretty well so I didn't bother.
  • morriss 1 Jan 2009 14:09:33 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. How is that the same as writing to the dev/publisher and telling them what I think?
  • silentbob 1 Jan 2009 14:12:41 29,026 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    No but I sometimes want to. Like when ass creed was being slammed and I thought it was one of the beat games I'd played I wanted to email them. But then I remenbwree that it wasn't exactly a small studio and it sold pretty well so I didn't bother.
    They probably agreed with the reviewers deep down so you'd have looked like a suck-ass.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Duffking 1 Jan 2009 14:15:16 7,556 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yeah. How is that the same as writing to the dev/publisher and telling them what I think?

I'm going off the topic title, which doesn't specify writing to them. :)
  • Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 14:16:08 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:

See you should write them and say "Hi I liked your game so much I wrote a review!"

It would warm their hearts, I'm sure.
  • silentbob 1 Jan 2009 14:16:47 29,026 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He gets paid to do it you muppet.

• Oh-Bollox 1 Jan 2009 14:21:03 5,425 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And you're a cunt, RetroJB.

Anyone seen that feedback thing Nintendo have set up on their channel? Bit odd, very limited in scope but I suppose it provides basic demographic info.
  • Anasui 1 Jan 2009 14:24:38 437 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    no, because it'd be pointless. They don't listen to official forum feedbacks, let alone personal emails
  • Deleted user 1 January 2009 14:24:56
    O noes, sock caught?
  • Deleted user 1 January 2009 14:25:59
    Oh and RetroJB is right. The whole developer rockstar bollocks is tiring because 90% of the time they're boring assholes who stare at computer screens all day masturbating to Hentai whilst the talent does the work.

/whistles
  • Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 14:39:45 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RetroJB wrote:
    No. There's already this pretentious air of 'I'm a celeberity' from many developers who feel their projects are above mere criticisms, (Alex Ward, Denis Dyack to name but two), so why fuel it?

Sean, you're a sad man.

Hmmm, my mails are usually along the lines of

"I really enjoyed game X; here's a review I wrote on a forum "

I fail to see how that could encourage pretension...
  • Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 14:40:26 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    silentbob wrote:

morriss gets paid to write reviews? Who knew? Is he published on any website I may have heard of?
  • Anasui 1 Jan 2009 14:44:13 437 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    silentbob wrote:

well I've heard worse.
    But not today.
  • merkdot 1 Jan 2009 14:48:03 1,836 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I write fan mail to Cliff Richard
  • Hunam 1 Jan 2009 14:49:19 20,674 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've wrote once or twice. Once to request widescreen support in BF2142 (got a response the next day \o/) and once to let take 2 know that Irrational had a loyal following and branding them 2K boston/australia has ruined their pedigree, which didn't get a response :(
  • Deleted user 1 January 2009 15:08:52
    As a dev it's actually really nice to get stuff like this, doesn't happen often but when you get a genuinely heartfelt letter saying how much someone really enjoyed your game, it's really flattering. Reviews aren't quite the same really, they're trying to explain the good and the bad and they're rarely as heartfelt.

That said, it cuts both ways - I'll never forget the letter we got about Haze that just had the words 'EPIC FAIL' printed in giant red letters in the middle of the page. :)
  • Hunam 1 Jan 2009 15:11:18 20,674 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Square who put a little card in their games asking for feedback. They also have a link to a website to do just the same. I did so for Crisis Core and let them know that I adore the game more than I should admit in public.
  • caligari 1 Jan 2009 15:19:35 17,194 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like to write letters to them - using my favourite wax crayons and my best 'forever friends' paper.
  • silentbob 1 Jan 2009 15:22:39 29,026 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    X
    ^ Caligari's signature.

• DFawkes 1 Jan 2009 17:40:43 24,050 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never considered it before, but I think I will from now on, especially small games from small developers that I really enjoy, despite negative reception.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Lexx87 1 Jan 2009 17:42:49 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I contacted Rare about how much I loved Banjo because i'm a big saddo.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 17:44:19 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disc wrote:Reading how a disabled kid is playing the game and loving it because it isn't using a standard controller for example.

Is this some kind of veiled insult?

I also write to make requests. For example I make it a point to write Midway every quarter asking for yet another version of Midway Arcade Treasures for the Wii (with a PAL release this time!). I get told it will be sent to the right people.

I wrote Factor9 about both Monster Lab and the Godzilla/Rampage games to their respective devs (Factor9 is some kind of umbrella corp or something?), but no clue if they got to them or not.

For Farsight I couldn't find anything on their site so I just tried support@theirdomain.com and it ended up getting routed to the team lead for Gottlieb Pinball Classics. I've been bugging the guy ever since, so I guess answering was a mistake on his part.

Also, glad to see some actual developer response in this thread. What's the deal with publishers/developers (or really any company) that don't have an email address for feedback? Or developers/publishers that cannot be bothered to update their websites (I'm thinking of System 3, here)?
  • Sean.Aaron 1 Jan 2009 17:45:23 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I've never considered it before, but I think I will from now on, especially small games from small developers that I really enjoy, despite negative reception.

Yeah, writing the small devs seems the most rewarding; I think you'd be more likely to get your mail read and/or a response.

I was quite impressed that Eidos replied as quickly as they did when I wrote them about Monster Lab.
  • Phily50 1 Jan 2009 17:50:18 2,219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    disc wrote:Reading how a disabled kid is playing the game and loving it because it isn't using a standard controller for example.

Is this some kind of veiled insult?

I think disc is refering to that story about that kid who was bed ridden, got a controller made that he could play games on even though he was so handicapped, he could hardly move. I'm not sure he meant it as an insult to anyone though.

/could be wrong.

*edit*

here
  • morriss 1 Jan 2009 17:57:28 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I doubt it was a veiled insult but it was very funny in the context Sean understood in anyway.
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 Jan 2009 17:58:07 20,647 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have once or twice, but nowdays I get the impression the development team just stealth read all the internet forums anyway so what is the point?

Bungie probably read something like NeoGAF then cry to themselves for 2 hours muttering 'but the reviews...'
  • morriss 1 Jan 2009 17:58:45 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Bungie listen to GAF (and not me) they're retards.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous