Must Have PS3 Games Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Triggerhappytel 15 Mar 2013 00:35:35 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair, you can't call Halo generic without giving Killzone the same label (I actually think Halo isn't that generic and has excellent style and ideas of its own). I think it has terrific AI and some of the best level design of any FPS, although they've never quite been able to match the brilliance of the first game. The combat also feels dynamic and varied, in large open environments, and generally the characterisation is understated and spot-on. Killzone aims for something very different in almost every regard, but I don't think it's as successful in the things it sets out to do.
  • king26 15 Mar 2013 16:10:38 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find Halo to catoon like and childish for my liking, can't touch Killzone. The feel of the weapons and weight of the character are perfect. The MP can only be matched by Battlefield. The graphics are superb too. Halo is incredibly overrated.
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Mar 2013 16:13:28 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Either way, I'm looking forward to Killzone: Shadow Fall. Colour! Where have you been all my life?!
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 16:19:28
    king26 wrote:
    I find Halo to catoon like and childish for my liking
    This boy hates colour.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 16:21:38
    Halo Big team slayer is really fun. Put a lot of hours into Killzone 2 and 3 also.
  • king26 15 Mar 2013 23:57:58 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CrispyXUK The whole Halo experience just seems like the sort of saturday morning cartoon series I would have loved when I was a kid. KZ is a more mature gritier experience that I enjoy.
  • Triggerhappytel 16 Mar 2013 00:11:08 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough, but I can't agree. Halo is a much more mature and contemplative series than Killzone; you just have to look past the excess colour and silly enemy designs (I've always thought Grunts look like extras or rejects from The Muppets).

Just because Killzone has gore and swearing and is 'gritty' does not hide the terrible storytelling, characterisation and wafer-thin premise. Halo is rich and deep; Killzone is dumb and shallow.

Let me be clear that I have bias or agenda though - I enjoy both series, although both have had their share of shitty instalments too.

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 00:13:14 16-03-2013
  • Syrette 16 Mar 2013 01:51:04 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Getting a PS3 next week, going to get these initially over the next few months:

- the Uncharted games (might still skip 1 though)

- the PS3 Yakuza titles (any worth skipping?)

- Heavy Rain (already know the ending though)

- Ratchet and Clank

Plus a few others (and whatever is on Playstation Plus), but they'll do for now. Really not bothered by FPSs in general these days so don't care for Resistance/Killzone and don't like simulation racers so have no interest in Gran Turismo.

I really want Ni No Kuni too but I can't see when I'd actually have the time to play it/any RPG.

• King_Edward 16 Mar 2013 02:02:19 11,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Halo is rich and deep;
    O_O
  • dominalien 16 Mar 2013 06:11:43 7,039 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Syrette

I recommend not skipping UC1, if anything it's a perfect build up to two. Also, I believe the story is better in one.

Yakuza 3 is a bit underwhelming technically, perhaps (although still impressive), but they all come recommended. Dead Souls is a spin off, so you might want to read up on it a bit - maybe you'll prefer it to the main series.

Heavy Rain: which ending do you know? Anyway, it's the journey that counts.

PSN: DonOsito

• drhcnip 16 Mar 2013 08:50:16 2,599 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    id play all of the uncharteds and all the yakuzas.....dont ply the yakuzas back to back, though....theyre too similar to do that....take a couple of games break inbetween
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Mar 2013 09:01:30 8,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The gameplay on the first Uncharted is a little clunky but the story is a good enough reason to play it.

Oh and you want Valkyria Chronicles!!!

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 09:02:05 16-03-2013
  • Syrette 16 Mar 2013 09:32:51 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

I do want Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni but they're both right at the bottom of the potential pile, unless I get a long holiday/sacked and then have a lot of time to play such lengthy titles :|

• dominalien 16 Mar 2013 09:34:17 7,039 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    VC is not lengthy. Neither is it an RPG, as many people seem to think. :-)

• Syrette 16 Mar 2013 09:40:18 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @dominalien

I thought it was a tactical RPG? How long is it?

• dominalien 16 Mar 2013 09:47:30 7,039 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a strategy game in my book.

Internet wisdom seems to suggest it's around 30 hours. Not short by any means, but far from a full-length RPG.

• Syrette 16 Mar 2013 09:51:33 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, not too bad. I'll get it eventually, it's just that I play all my games one at a time. Never have 2 on the go, need to complete the current first.

• Triggerhappytel 16 Mar 2013 10:31:38 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I couldn't get on with VC. The gameplay is very good and it is visually wonderful, but I found the characters and storytelling very twee.

Never have 2 on the go, need to complete the current first.

Lately I'm trying to do the same. My gaming time is a lot more limited than it used to be, so I'm picking one game that suits my mood and trying to see it to completion. When I've finished Ascension I should have Socom: Special Forces arriving, and then after that I'll choose either an action-adventure (Batman AC or Darksiders 2) or and FPS I think (Rage or BioShock 2). It's working for me so far and makes me feel like I am actually making progress with my backlog.
  • Syrette 16 Mar 2013 10:42:26 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It stops me from having half-completed games, that's the main thing. Plus I rent most of my games so have a limited amount at any one time, which helps encourage me to complete them.

Feels a bit strange getting a console so late into its lifespan (especially when I've had every other Sony console apart from the PS1 since their respective launch windows). Knowing that there's only really The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls yet to come out in terms of exclusives before it's PS4 time. And maybe Puppeteer and Rain too, for me.

• addyb 21 Mar 2013 01:15:14 1,255 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    It stops me from having half-completed games, that's the main thing. Plus I rent most of my games so have a limited amount at any one time, which helps encourage me to complete them.

Feels a bit strange getting a console so late into its lifespan (especially when I've had every other Sony console apart from the PS1 since their respective launch windows). Knowing that there's only really The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls yet to come out in terms of exclusives before it's PS4 time. And maybe Puppeteer and Rain too, for me.
    Well I must be in a very small minority where I'm not bothering with the ps4 at launch. I'll wait a good 12-18 months before I buy one.

The reasons?

Well main one is the wife's expecting our 2nd child this October so going to be busy in that regard.

Secondly I've spent the last 18 months mainly gaming on the 360 and PC so I've missed out on plenty of ps3 titles I still want to play from the past few years. I bought a super slim last October and signed up to PS+. With what I also have on PS+ and what's out this year ive got at least 30 games on my list.

Not April yet though and I've already struck 4 games off (killzone 3, Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider, gow: ascension)
    Next up is Ni No Kuni and Devil May Cry :)

I can honestly say I'm still happy with this gen and I'm in no rush to jump to the next. I've had a brilliant time with those 4 I mentioned above. As much as I love my new toys, particularly consoles I'd rather just wait for the catalogue to grow.

Edited by addyb at 01:18:19 21-03-2013
  • Triggerhappytel 21 Mar 2013 01:29:04 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think I've ever bought a console on release; launch games are usually not great and it takes about 18 months to be enough solid exclusives to justify buying one. Nowadays I don't have the time or the cash for multiple consoles, so I stick with my PS3. My willpower against the Vita is weakening though, and I'll probably end up with a PS4 rather than the next Xbox because I prefer Sony's first party output and business models.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Mar 2013 12:48:01 4,734 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Syrette

If arcade racers are your thing, Wipeout HD is where it's at. It's one of my top 5 games this gen, and despite coming out 4.5 years ago, it still looks amazing.

Some of the races on the Elite difficulty are tough as nails though (it's a decent challenge learning the tracks at a decent speed, but you get to contend with horrible rubberbanding AI - my only negative point with the game.
  • Syrette 21 Mar 2013 19:42:02 44,101 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

I've got 2048+DLC on Vita, so that's not a bad idea.

• addyb 22 Mar 2013 07:45:45 1,255 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone got Joe Danger 2? I have the original and thought it was fun. Just wondered if the sequel was more of the same (game play wise) or its expanded upon in some way?
  • MrSensible 25 Jun 2013 10:14:04 25,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was looking at picking up Yakuza 3 and 4, but had a couple of questions.

1: Do you NEED to have played the previous games to understand who people are, what's going on, etc? I played the first one when it came out but have since forgotten 99% of it and never got to the second.

2: Can the Western versions be played with Japanese audio?
  • oldschoolsoviet 25 Jun 2013 10:19:32 5,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1: If I remember, Y3 has 20min recap/highlight videos for the first two games.
    2: Both Y3/4 are Japanese audio and subs.
  • MrSensible 25 Jun 2013 10:24:37 25,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perfect! Just the answers I was hoping for. Thanks!
  • Deleted user 25 June 2013 10:26:02
    The Sly Cooper trilogy is worth a shot if you like platformers.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last