Steam and direct download sales Page 471

• Page

of 678 First / Last

• kentmonkey 29 Dec 2012 17:39:01 20,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If someone wanted to split FTL (assuming that's not 'pirating', not a PC gamer and therefore not used to these multi-version deals) then I'm up for it.
  • Whizzo 29 Dec 2012 17:43:18 43,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    If someone wanted to split FTL (assuming that's not 'pirating', not a PC gamer and therefore not used to these multi-version deals) then I'm up for it.
    You're serious?!

Fucking hell, it's three quid and it's a great game by a two man indie team, they deserve the cash.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Tomo 29 Dec 2012 17:44:31 13,910 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that's pirating. And pretty smelly.

Actually, probably technically not piracy but anyway.

Edited by Tomo at 18:01:55 29-12-2012
  • vijay_UK 29 Dec 2012 17:51:43 2,148 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    You're serious?!

Fucking hell, it's three quid and it's a great game by a two man indie team, they deserve the cash.
    Any idea what cut the developers get from having their game on Steam?

Buying the game directly from ftlgame.com, I assume all the money goes to them.

I've always wondered how the deals with other parties worked. Any thoughts from anyone is appreciated.

ps. FTL is quite superb, and at a price that shames most triple-A releases.
  • Whizzo 29 Dec 2012 17:53:04 43,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Valve's cut is 30% so they'd certainly get more from buying direct. I couldn't be arsed to buy it myself, I just got it by other means.

I backed their Kickstarter.

• kentmonkey 29 Dec 2012 18:02:03 20,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plenty of games are split on here, some by large developers and some indie, even some humble indie bundles in the past. But if it offends you, you obviously don't have to partake, and if it's pirating, I'm not interested, hence the very blatant question.

Considering a lot of people are buying up loads of stuff 'in the sale', and therefore not paying full price, and in some cases sale packs are being split, questioning the price somebody pays for something is more than a bit rich.
  • Whizzo 29 Dec 2012 18:04:49 43,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's still only three quid.

• kentmonkey 29 Dec 2012 18:10:59 20,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is, you're right, (well, 20p out) but the reaction was bordering on this
  • Rens11 29 Dec 2012 18:13:07 1,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo

Cheetrs I'll get it direct

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Whizzo 29 Dec 2012 18:13:19 43,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No it was more

And in other news, the latest sale update isn't too exciting.

• zisssou 29 Dec 2012 18:16:23 604 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    LOL
  • EvilW 29 Dec 2012 18:28:30 107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    seriously, FLT is an addictive game but nothing more than a space ship that makes random encounters and some text based choises. Oh and rooms on fire, but this is just because i'm a failure as a captain. I'll buy it when the price will drop by 75% on some other sale

Edited by EvilW at 09:45:52 30-12-2012

My English sucks, i know... fell free to correct me

• MatMan562 29 Dec 2012 18:29:19 2,459 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, The Witcher 2? I played the original for around 5 hours and really enjoyed it but then stopped playing for some reason. I think the added benefits a sequel gets could keep me playing for longer and with all the praise it received I want to give it a shot but should I bother? And should I play through the original first or is it not important?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Whizzo 29 Dec 2012 18:30:44 43,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EvilW wrote:
    seriously, FLT is an addicting game
    OK, now that JCVD GIF is accurate.

• Mr-Brett 29 Dec 2012 18:32:55 12,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it was just a simple miss-understanding, kentmonkey probably didn't realise that you're only buying one copy but you can download it drm-free from the dev and/or redeem it on steam. It's not meant to be a multipack deal.

I could be wrong, maybe he fully understood and is actually Satan himself.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Moot_Point 29 Dec 2012 18:40:35 4,069 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Its easier than that. When you buy off the developers site, you get a DRM free copy and a steam code.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• vijay_UK 29 Dec 2012 19:04:11 2,148 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As it's free I thought I'd stick it on this thread quickly - you can play Dune 2 online (ported to Javascript).

http://play-dune.com/
  • convz 29 Dec 2012 19:06:21 376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Very tempted, and I feel awful for saying this since the price is so low, but I'll probably wait in hope it becomes part of a Humble Bundle - I already have over 100 games on Steam I've not even installed, let alone played!
  • docrob 29 Dec 2012 19:07:14 289 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    So, The Witcher 2? I played the original for around 5 hours and really enjoyed it but then stopped playing for some reason. I think the added benefits a sequel gets could keep me playing for longer and with all the praise it received I want to give it a shot but should I bother? And should I play through the original first or is it not important?
    I bought Witcher 2 last night. It was on sale for 7.99 and I felt that was too good an offer to miss - though I haven't the time to play it just now.

I've just noticed that it's now 4.99. OK, it's only three quid, but it's still annoying!
  • Arcturas 29 Dec 2012 19:09:47 123 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    As it's free I thought I'd stick it on this thread quickly - you can play Dune 2 online (ported to Javascript).

Nice one - loved it on the megadrive
  • caligari 29 Dec 2012 19:10:32 17,054 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:

Finally! I loaned my Amiga version out to a 'friend' many years ago and never got it back.

Edited by caligari at 19:11:09 29-12-2012
  • captbirdseye 29 Dec 2012 19:11:20 4,969 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Galactic Civ any good?
  • y2rich 29 Dec 2012 19:26:15 1,390 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brilliant game. This sale has reminded me I actually own it and the expansions
  • rtk79 29 Dec 2012 19:30:30 493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    You can skip the first game, The Witcher 2 works fine as a self-contained tale. Whatever knowledge you might be need will be conveyed to you in game.
  • kentmonkey 29 Dec 2012 19:47:11 20,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I think it was just a simple miss-understanding, kentmonkey probably didn't realise that you're only buying one copy but you can download it drm-free from the dev and/or redeem it on steam. It's not meant to be a multipack deal.

I thought (and still do, actually) you got two copies for the price of one. Thought "why would somebody need two copies...I'm either mistaken or it's a multipack thing and as I don't care whether it's on Steam or not, I'd happily buy the other version off of somebody that they didn't want".

Both get the game cheap, nobody has a version they don't need, developers still got the money they intended. I could well have been mistaken about the two copies, hence my piracy question. And obviously the very thought of it has upset some.
  • rtk79 29 Dec 2012 19:51:45 493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:

I thought (and still do, actually) you got two copies for the price of one. Thought "why would somebody need two copies...I'm either mistaken or it's a multipack thing and as I don't care whether it's on Steam or not, I'd happily buy the other version off of somebody that they didn't want".

Both get the game cheap, nobody has a version they don't need, developers still got the money they intended. I could well have been mistaken about the two copies, hence my piracy question. And obviously the very thought of it has upset some.
    I didn't find your question or offer offensive but to clarify : you're not given two copies, you're given a DRM-free download and a Steam code. Two ways to access a single license.
  • andytheadequate 29 Dec 2012 19:51:48 8,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As kentmonkey says, why would you need two copies of the game? Surely it is meant as a multi pack, or are we missing something?
  • rtk79 29 Dec 2012 19:53:49 493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    As kentmonkey says, why would you need two copies of the game? Surely it is meant as a multi pack, or are we missing something?
    See above. You're not given two copies or a multi-pack, you're given two ways to access your single game.
  • kentmonkey 29 Dec 2012 19:58:23 20,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rtk79 wrote:

I didn't find your question or offer offensive but to clarify : you're not given two copies, you're given a DRM-free download and a Steam code. Two ways to access a single license.
    Cheers, that makes sense. I thought it was a two license jobby, or something akin to that. Thanks.
  • MatMan562 29 Dec 2012 21:07:08 2,459 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rtk79 wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    You can skip the first game, The Witcher 2 works fine as a self-contained tale. Whatever knowledge you might be need will be conveyed to you in game.
    Thanks for that! Makes it hard to resist at 5.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Page

of 678 First / Last