5.1 surround sound headphones Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 August 2010 11:22:21
    I'm thinking of getting these, can anyone that has a pair recommend them. How noticeable is the surround sound?
  • mikew1985 26 Aug 2010 11:24:21 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They certainly look awesome, i think you can get ones with a 360 headset built in though no?
  • mikew1985 26 Aug 2010 11:29:42 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, here's a newer revision with PC/PS3 compatible USB mic included for about 20 cheaper.

dit: Actually mic looks to be 360 compatible too.
  • Fab4 26 Aug 2010 11:33:43 6,018 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnt get the ones you link to, but I recently got a set of Turtle Beach X41s, which are 7.1 surround sound (although fuck all supports it ;). The difference it makes to games is amazing (especially online FPS). I cant believe I have sat for years with just crappy stereo.
  • Deleted user 26 August 2010 11:33:54
    I really want the Tritton AXPRO but they are sold out everywhere so these look like a good alternative.
  • Deleted user 26 August 2010 11:37:17
    Fab4 wrote:
    I didnt get the ones you link to, but I recently got a set of Turtle Beach X41s, which are 7.1 surround sound (although fuck all supports it ;). The difference it makes to games is amazing (especially online FPS). I cant believe I have sat for years with just crappy stereo.
    So there was a noticeable difference then? Did you get the Astro mixamp with it?
  • mikew1985 26 Aug 2010 11:37:47 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:

I have a pretty ok 5.1 system but I'd love to get a pair of these sort of headphones for the later night gaming and I'd say they also enhance the sound quality even more so as they cover your entire sound field more effectively due to the blocking out of everything else.

So basically another gadget I'm stupidly lusting after when I don't really need it.
    Though anyone who isn't already in glorious 5.1 land needs to join us.

/wants
  • Fab4 26 Aug 2010 11:50:28 6,018 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    So there was a noticeable difference then? Did you get the Astro mixamp with it?

Big difference. I normally play CoD3 and the gunfire is excellent. You can tell where the vehicles are, and where they are heading. Plus you can hear people flanking you.

I only got the headphones...no amp.

I'm sure my neighbours now think I'm going crazy though, because now the TV is muted and all they hear is me swearing at other players in the game :-D
  • Deleted user 9 September 2010 10:32:02
    These arrived yesterday, and I was blown away with how good they're. You can hear exactly where things are coming from and the build quality is excellent.

I love them already.
  • KingOfSpain 9 Sep 2010 10:35:51 5,187 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    These arrived yesterday, and I was blown away with how good they're. You can hear exactly where things are coming from and the build quality is excellent.

I love them already.

I've had a pair of them for a couple of years and they're bloody fantastic!

My only issue with them is that the mic broke. It was after a good 18 months of heavy use so it's not too bad I guess.

EDIT: After a 2nd look, mine are in fact a little different. Either way, 5.1 headphones rule. It's the only way to play games now.
  • mrpon 9 Sep 2010 10:36:44 28,781 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:

I love them already.

My only issue with them is that the mic broke. It was after a good 18 months of heavy breathing so it's not too bad I guess.
    :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• KingOfSpain 9 Sep 2010 10:39:03 5,187 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:

I love them already.

My only issue with them is that the mic broke. It was after a good 18 months of heavy breathing so it's not too bad I guess.
    :D

Oi!

:)
  • Deleted user 9 September 2010 10:43:21
    Apparently the mic has been improved, I haven't used it yet though.

I'm going to rent Dead Space just to hear how awesome it will be with these.
  • MrDigital 9 Sep 2010 10:50:31 1,866 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:

I love them already.

How exactly do they work? Wirelessly obviously, but have you got a kind of base device which connect to the power, USB (for the mic) and the digital optical output (for the sound, durr)? Also, here's one I have no idea if you or anyone can actually be sure of :D Will it likely be compatible with next generation consoles? I would hope so as I would definitely see it as an investment.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 9 September 2010 11:08:07
    Geesh wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:

I love them already.

How exactly do they work? Wirelessly obviously, but have you got a kind of base device which connect to the power, USB (for the mic) and the digital optical output (for the sound, durr)? Also, here's one I have no idea if you or anyone can actually be sure of :D Will it likely be compatible with next generation consoles? I would hope so as I would definitely see it as an investment.
    They're not wireless, in fact it has loads of different wires depending on what you want to connect it to. It has an adaptor that connects into the 360 controller itself to use the mic and a usb connector for the ps3. I'm pretty sure it will be compitable for the nect gen and I think Tritton said they will release adaptors if they're not compatible.

Hope that answers your questions.

EDIT- it has both ditigal optical and the usual audio components.
  • Deleted user 9 September 2010 11:15:54
    Heres a good write-up about what they can do and include....

True 5.1 Digital Audio Headset
    Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic Certified
    Digital audio connection for DVD, PC, Mac, PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX360, and all other audio sources with digital audio output
    8 precision speakers, 4 in each ear cup
    Backlit In-line volume adjustment for Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer controls
    Removable microphone, XBOX live, Playstation Network, Mac, and PC compatible
    In-line microphone mute and voice chat volume control
    Includes external 5.1 audio controller or can connect with any 5.1 amplifier that uses 3.5 mm inputs
    Lightweight and ergonomically designed for maximum comfort and quality
    Includes soft velvet type ear pads and faux leather pads

External Audio Controller:
    Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic certified decoder
    Fiber Optic Digital Audio input
    Analog 5.1 outputs to surround speakers
    USB microphone connection
    Two AXPRO headset outputs
    Dynamic Range Control/Time Delay audio selection
    Master Volume control
    Power input

AX Pro Headset:
    Center speaker
    Front speaker
    Rear speaker
    Subwoofer speaker
    Removable microphone
    Adjustable head rail
    Inline controller for front, center, rear, subwoofer and voice chat volume control
    Inline microphone mute switch

The AX Pro connects to any audio source using a digital optical port or Tosslink. The AX Pro can also connect to a computer either through digital optical or analog 5.1 connectors. The external 5.1 audio controller can connect two specialized AX Pro headsets, a USB connection for voice chat for PS3 and PC, a 5.1 digital to analog converter output for connecting a powered audio system and multiple adjustments for digital sound processing. Whether you are a casual gamer, a hardcore gamer, or just watching a movie, the AX Pro provides a personal theater experience.
  • mikew1985 16 Sep 2010 15:53:43 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /wants Tritton AXpro's

God damn your testimonial Cheez! God Damn it to hell....
  • Lutz 16 Sep 2010 15:56:12 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a pair of Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1's... very nice, but two flaws

1) Using chat is shit. You have to set it up so that the voice comes out of the speakers, and the music/SE *always* drowns this out. This is more of a critisim of XBL though.
    2) Bass could be a bit better.
  • ecureuil 16 Sep 2010 16:00:25 76,734 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    I've got a pair of Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1's... very nice, but two flaws

1) Using chat is shit. You have to set it up so that the voice comes out of the speakers, and the music/SE *always* drowns this out. This is more of a critisim of XBL though.
    2) Bass could be a bit better.

I have those, too. The chat thing can kinda be remedied by turning the volume up on the front channel and down on the others. It's not perfect, but at least you can chat.
  • Lutz 16 Sep 2010 16:01:10 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just wear the normal head set, then shove the headphones over the top. :D
  • Lukey__b 16 Sep 2010 16:05:44 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I heard that more bandwidth iss going to be allocated to chat on XBL. This may lead to being able to have higher volume due to higher quality, or being able to balance the channels someway on the actual xbox.

Probably not though.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Lutz 16 Sep 2010 16:07:03 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally I think that given the advancement of games it's criminal that every game won't let you set the Music/SE/Voice levels.
  • PenguinJim 16 Sep 2010 16:10:39 5,836 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://kotaku.com/5623236/xbox-360-voice-chat-quality-being-upgraded ?
  • ecureuil 16 Sep 2010 16:12:27 76,734 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    I just wear the normal head set, then shove the headphones over the top. :D

That sounds quite painful! I was thinking a good solution would be a ear bud, a bit like with the iPhone.
  • Lutz 16 Sep 2010 16:13:51 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Admittedly it does get a little sore after a while, but takes a few hours.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2010 16:21:16
    mikew1985 wrote:
    /wants Tritton AXpro's

They're amazing mate, if you're looking to get some get these. The sound is incredible.
  • dr_swin 16 Sep 2010 16:27:14 4,887 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The axpc headphones I got a few years back were the biggest pile of shite ever. Total waste of money as they never bothered to update the drivers for 64bit vista or windows7. Totally useless.
  • mikew1985 17 Sep 2010 00:54:52 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    /wants Tritton AXpro's

They're amazing mate, if you're looking to get some get these. The sound is incredible.

Parents are in the states at the moment, GF needed a bday present idea (they cost about 100 all in) so i said fuck it and ordered them on amazon for next day delivery to my folks hotel.

Only after did i cop that the two power supply things might be a bloody issue being American and all...

Does anyone have any idea if I'll need any convertors or are they dual voltage? (I've done some minor Googling but it's inconclusive

Cheez or anyone any ideas?

I've no idea what i might need to do if they aren't dual voltage...
  • Deleted user 17 September 2010 02:59:39
    mikew1985 wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    /wants Tritton AXpro's

Parents are in the states at the moment, GF needed a bday present idea (they cost about £100 all in) so i said fuck it and ordered them on amazon for next day delivery to my folks hotel.

Only after did i cop that the two power supply things might be a bloody issue being American and all...

Does anyone have any idea if I'll need any convertors or are they dual voltage? (I've done some minor Googling but it's inconclusive

Cheez or anyone any ideas?

I've no idea what i might need to do if they aren't dual voltage...

Edited by mikew1985 at 00:55:51 17-09-2010

Mine came with a 3pin uk plug already, but maybe that's because I ordered them from a uk website.

Sorry it's not much help. I would imagine you might need a converter though. You might be lucky and it they might all come with a uk plug as well
  • mikew1985 17 Sep 2010 09:49:22 12,672 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, what kind of bricks are they?

Just a standard AC power plug or is there a huge power convertng brick thing?
  • Page

of 8 First / Last