Demon's Souls Page 4

• Page

of 504 First / Last

• Aretak 5 Feb 2009 23:13:30 10,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where have you got it pre-ordered, disc?
  • Aretak 5 Feb 2009 23:17:27 10,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, not much good for me then. I find myself wanting this for some reason, even though it looks frustrating as hell. Asian releases are usually freely available on eBay anyway, so I could always get it from there if I do decide to buy it.
  • Cappy 6 Feb 2009 11:05:29 11,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Nicovideo clips are much better. It's an entirely different game when somebody plays properly without running around mashing buttons, you can actually see that combat can be quite tight and tactical.
  • Dr.Haggard 6 Feb 2009 11:19:36 4,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    The guy in the gamersyde video didn't even lock onto enemies and the stream player didn't use parry and dodges.
    Uh oh, hope this isn't a repeat of Severance - I remember reading a lot of criticisism of its combat system (imo one of the best there's ever been) simply because it seems a lot of people didn't realise you could lock onto enemies.

The combat didn't work well at all without locking on (your swings and combos would miss too easily, and you wouldn't be able to circle strafe or easily switch your focus between multiple foes) but the game didn't communicate that very well. If you didn't know, the game would really suck.
  • Dr.Haggard 6 Feb 2009 12:07:50 4,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Selling like hot cakes apparently.

Do. Want.

/blames disc entirely
  • Deleted user 6 February 2009 13:35:26
    So, do we have an english language release date yet?
  • Aretak 6 Feb 2009 13:41:12 10,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    February 24th when the Asian release hits. It has English options according to Play-Asia. As for a proper US/PAL release, no.
  • Cappy 6 Feb 2009 13:45:14 11,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Asian release is on the 25th (I think), that has full english text and menus as long as your PS3 is set to an English speaking region.

No word yet on an official English localisation, though it's probable it will come at some point since Sony went to the trouble of making this an exclusive, they would be silly to not try and get as much benefit from that as they can.

They judged third party support really badly and they've left the PS3 library with some serious gaps with their own first party support so I would expect White Knight Chronicles and Demon's Soul would be a localisation priority if anybody at Sony has any common sense

*edit* Or maybe the 24th as Aretak says
  • Widge Moderator 6 Feb 2009 14:16:34 13,475 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    my GOD, he's up against a glowing GIANT with a huge sword:

http://ja.justin.tv/esegk

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• michaelius 6 Feb 2009 14:22:36 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    February 24th when the Asian release hits. It has English options according to Play-Asia. As for a proper US/PAL release, no.

Which Asian shops sell to EU ?

Becouse play-asia unfortunetly don't.
  • Widge Moderator 6 Feb 2009 14:23:41 13,475 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He just got a trophy for nailing it and I'm SURE I could see ghosts of other players running about.

_ _ _

• Widge Moderator 6 Feb 2009 18:33:33 13,475 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been stirring up interest on the Bethesda forum!

EDIT:

expect TES5 to be a less challenging, more artificial Demon Soul, starring Sean Penn for 5 minutes.

_ _ _

• Dr.Haggard 7 Feb 2009 00:40:07 4,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you can upload messages and 'ghosts' of yourself for other players to see, I wonder how they are filtered, or if it just picks a few random ones for your current location, or am I misunderstanding it?

Nice idea anyway, even though I won't be able to read any of the messages.
  • Dr.Haggard 7 Feb 2009 00:53:53 4,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was about to say the same thing, it's definitely very reminiscent of Severance.

0_0 at that knight boss. Awesome stuff, but the way his attacks barely register on the its health bar is scary, hehe.
  • Dr.Haggard 7 Feb 2009 00:58:19 4,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep watched a bit more now and it doesn't seem as futile as it did at first! Not going to watch anymore.
  • JinTypeNoir 7 Feb 2009 09:32:49 4,383 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Lots of going around nailing people, are there many friendly NPC areas though?

No, not really. Most of the game's story is implied, rather than delivered by NPCs and they usually function as parts of the game (you know, like shopkeepers). It's in keeping with the story's theme though, since most of the world is dead and in a post apocalyptic state. Be careful, because if you attack and kill them, to my knowledge there's no reviving them again.

This game is RAD! \o/

Exactly the kind of spiritual successor I wanted. Difficult, punishing, atmosphere, depressing and full of the freedom to explore and invent your own playstyle. In fact, it's considerably deeper than the older games.

The only disappointment is that it isn't quite as weird and rusted an environment as King's Field was and eases you into the game more than the old games did by giving you something of a tutorial to start, which I'm somewhat against in these types of games. But the tutorial is extremely brief and you only really have to do a very small amount required, the rest of the game is up to your decisions.

Better yet, King's Field developed your character much more on how you played, but Demon's Souls has a much deeper class system and the different stats really make a difference. So one character FEELS like they handle a weapon very differently or can try a strategy much more easily because they have higher luck, etc. (I tried out a couple before I was satisfied with a Wanderer.)

Also, the online elements of leaving notes and trails for your friends is awesome fun. I'm playing with two other guys, but we can't play at the same time, nevertheless it's great to mess around with them. Sometimes I leave them fake hints and make them freak out about something scary.

One time, I read my friend's note that just said "Down." I was like, "Down? What does he mean?" Then I heard a sound and I was like, "What was that?" Not long after that I was dead. :p

The combat is very tactical. King's Field's already was pretty deep, but it seems like From took everything learned from 3rd person action games after the last King's Field game and put some of it into application here. It feels like the tactical decisions of an SRPG mixed into an action RPG. You have to buy yourself time, think your way out of the situation and then consider a pattern of steps or set of actions that will do the trick. It's not good enough usually to just go with simple things like "Dodge this, attack here and heal when necessary."

Currently I would recommend this over White Knight Chronicles for people looking for a new PS3 RPG. The difficulty is not a factor if you're not a modern-coddled pussy. The sweaty tension and fear the game engenders a lot more games could do with.
  • Cappy 7 Feb 2009 10:13:53 11,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From what I've read I'm getting the impression that death isn't strictly the end and you have an opportunity to be summoned by another player to earn your life back, allowing you to return and pick up where you left off. Is that right? You have an option to continue where you left off alongside a save/check point system?

Thanks for the post Jin, this game sounds better and better. It's a strange topsy turvy situation since most of the games that looked wonderful around TGS time last year seem to have lost their shine whilst Demon's Soul has gone from strength to strength.
  • Scimarad 7 Feb 2009 10:29:35 8,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    The Nicovideo clips are much better. It's an entirely different game when somebody plays properly without running around mashing buttons, you can actually see that combat can be quite tight and tactical.

Ahh, but an awful lot of us DO run around mashing buttons:)

@JTN

Can you make up a character for this or is that just for the online part?
  • JinTypeNoir 7 Feb 2009 10:35:25 4,383 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as I know, there isn't a system like that, or at least I haven't used it. I think if you get summoned by other players when you die you can go back to where they are/close to your corpse, but I'm not sure, as I haven't done it yet.

What happens if that you lose your soul with a couple of penalties and must either beat a demon, or get a special item to get it back. You can also invade other people's worlds and try to kill them for said right. If you help your friends kill a boss you can get it back too. It's mostly to get back to being a human being, rather than a wandering soul.

You make up a character, Scimarad. There is no separated online and offline part, it's all melded into the singleplayer and the game is primarily singleplayer. Think of it like those arcade beatemups where your friends can join in if they put in a quarter, except with an RPG-like death penalty system to further complicate matters.
  • Scimarad 7 Feb 2009 10:50:30 8,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had kind of got that impression. Thanks, sound like great fun.
  • deathdealer619 7 Feb 2009 10:52:26 751 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    when is it released?
  • Widge Moderator 8 Feb 2009 11:09:57 13,475 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well word is spreading around the Bethesda forums thanks to my copy and pasting actions! Also making AVForums aware.

_ _ _

• Deleted user 8 February 2009 11:50:20
    One of the guys on my Friends List played it. He now has the comment Demon's Souls=Shite above his name.
  • michaelius 8 Feb 2009 12:19:40 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Well word is spreading around the Bethesda forums thanks to my copy and pasting actions! Also making AVForums aware.

Well i guess they should be happy to see Oblivion done correctly :)
  • Deleted user 8 February 2009 12:43:19
    disc wrote:
    Just get out Kenshin. The game is beyond your meager taste. Also can you please stop acting like such a child, please.

You're bashing a game that you have never played even though it is looking like a very good action rpg.

Ha. I didn't bash it. I just posted the comment of someone who has played it. It's only one person's opinion but he plays every new PS3 game that comes out here, including Gundam games which I abhor. Beyond my meagre taste? What?
  • Deleted user 8 February 2009 12:46:12
    disc wrote:
    Just get out Kenshin. The game is beyond your meager taste. Also can you please stop acting like such a child, please.

You're bashing a game that you have never played even though it is looking like a very good action rpg.

Ah, c'mon Disc, but Kenshin likes Uncharted - the best game evahhhh !!!!

Just kidding of course...

Anyway, the only reason guys i'm on the fence about getting the game or not is the implementation of the online, let me explain :

First of all, 99.9% of the players are going to be Asian (obviously) meaning that the whole online thingie (messages left by dead players and the communication with them) is going to be impossible for the most part ( i can't read Japanese/Korean/Chinese etc).

Second, nobody knows if the Asian version is going to be compatible with the EU one (when and if it comes out) regarding the online aspect, meaning that whoever likes the online will have to get a 2nd copy of the game.

I know, this is a single player experience above all, thing is, the online part sounds really fun,so...

Just my 2 cents...
  • Aretak 8 Feb 2009 12:49:15 10,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the online aspect of it is the reason I'm doubtful about whether I'll buy the Asian release or not. It all sounds like jolly good fun, but it's not going to be much so for someone who only speaks English if most of the messages and such are in Chinese.
  • Cappy 8 Feb 2009 13:08:20 11,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The online side of the game is a side benefit though, they would be insane to release the game in a state where non-online players suffer, it has to work for everybody.

Kenshin's posts do seem to give the impression that he has some sort of grudge against this game. Fair enough, I dislike Bioshock intensely, I did actually play the game myself though, said my piece and that was it, I didn't continually come back to snipe at the game again and again.

Bashing on lower profile niche games is easier though isn't it? Hardly any rabid defenders.

P.S. Uncharted is a bit naff. :p
  • Deleted user 8 February 2009 13:20:04
    I don't have a grudge against this game per se, I just think this game is a good example of how far behind many Jp developers are. TBH, I'd lost interest in this game until I saw the comment of the guy on my Friends List. You can see a video of his here if you wish, just don't read the comments if you find criticism upsetting:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9986_en.html
  • Deleted user 8 February 2009 13:25:33
    disc wrote:
    And yet again you do it. Just get out.

How ungrateful! I thought you would be interested in the comments of someone who has played the game and I even linked to his video for you.
  • Page

of 504 First / Last