Going to the cinema alone? Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• DocDawg 14 Oct 2017 02:16:30 161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll go 2-3 films when the time of year is great for movies. This year was amazing. If you are also into art house and foreign cinema you can pretty easily do that year round.

Once upon a time I found it very weird going on your own. But in my late 20s I did it because I couldn't find anyone. It was really weird the first time. I didn't enjoy it. But now I do.

Also, there are cinemas, the boutique ones, where its not weird at all going on your own. Those places, most of the people are actually on their own.

Good thing about going on your own is you can watch what you want, and sit in the seat you want. I hate sitting far back.
  • HarryB 14 Oct 2017 07:25:22 7,235 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    How old are you lone wolf film watchers?
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Oct 2017 07:36:58 22,263 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    I keep thinking of starting to go on my own as there are lots of films especially thrillers that my besiemate doesn't have any interest in.
    He only likes to see films that NEED a cinema experience, which I do kind of get. However this means we see all the latest sci-fi,super hero and such but not a lot else. My home life is such that me and the wife very rarely get to go out, "kids and toons" are covered with my daughter, so that leaves thrillers/drama.
    Age you say, I'm a fun loving youngster of 45 ;)
  • elstoof 14 Oct 2017 07:43:41 19,158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Strange how guys wouldn’t dream of going to the pictures alone but are happy to go on what looks like a date with another dude to see la la land
  • Mfolf 14 Oct 2017 09:00:20 1,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And now the fucking song is stuck in my head again.
  • Nemesis 14 Oct 2017 09:04:27 19,277 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Someone mentioned using a 2 for 1 ticket code to ensure you have a nice gap between yourself and anyone else.
  • JiveHound 14 Oct 2017 09:25:18 9,123 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    HarryB wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    I keep thinking of starting to go on my own as there are lots of films especially thrillers that my besiemate doesn't have any interest in.
    He only likes to see films that NEED a cinema experience, which I do kind of get. However this means we see all the latest sci-fi,super hero and such but not a lot else. My home life is such that me and the wife very rarely get to go out, "kids and toons" are covered with my daughter, so that leaves thrillers/drama.
    Age you say, I'm a fun loving youngster of 45 ;)
    Same here. No one else I know is fussed about Bladerunner. They're more interested fucking Kingsman 2.

Think solo trips are in my future.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 14 Oct 2017 09:37:33 305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm not sure going to see a kids movie alone is the best idea for a middle aged man.
    I meant in terms of the movie being terrible and me not even wanting to see it obviously lol.

Going to see a kids movie, knowing you're a fully fledged peado on the other hand.
  • ghearoid 14 Oct 2017 09:55:56 2,787 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When I lived in London I'd go out to the art house/repertory cinemas on.my own to watch foreign language/old classics that none of my friends were interested in. Never bothered me.

I once went to see little Kenny Branagh's godawful Frankenstein film at the cinema and I was the only person in there. No joke, just me. I was mortified!
  • RichDC 14 Oct 2017 10:03:41 7,616 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I saw Iron Man 3 as the only person in the cinema. It was glorious.
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2017 10:08:51 84,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Someone mentioned using a 2 for 1 ticket code to ensure you have a nice gap between yourself and anyone else.
    I like it.
  • colinmac 14 Oct 2017 10:19:14 773 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have an odeon unlimited card - and take myself off most weeks to see whatever schlock I fancy. Mostly midweek. Love it - actually the best way to watch films. Kids to bed, wife to emmerdale or some such, then off to the cinema at 9pm or so. There's only ever a few folks in during the week, save really popular films.

I do also wife and buddy trips if anyone wants to go, but this is title and childcare dependant.

I've seen 2049 twice at Imax's since it's release, both times with other folks, but would quite happily see it alone.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Oct 2017 10:43:44 1,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    I like it.
    I've seen lone blokes in the cinema on the end of the aisle with a blank next to them a few times and not on the 2 for 1 days though it could be the booking system (Vue) that's left two empty seats and he's just paid for one I guess. Also when you see that though you wonder if he's been blown out by his date/mate which is a bit sad.
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2017 11:17:44 84,260 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Unless it's with the kids, I go to the cinema once a year. Usually to watch the new star wars film. With kids, it just gets too expensive.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Oct 2017 11:29:08 2,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Two to three times a year for me, one of those usually on my own. I'm not actually the biggest fan of cinemas (would prefer to watch stuff at home on Blu-Ray or streaming), so it needs a rare combination of a film I really want to see and me being in the exact right mood to get me to go to the cinema.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Oct 2017 11:30:09 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also I can imagine that with kids you don't really get to watch the film. I remember seeing spiderman homecoming and there was this guy with his son who kept asking questions about the film and kept getting up every 5 minutes to lean on the chair next to me. He sat him on his lap after half an hour.
  • reviewer 14 Oct 2017 11:34:06 4,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I used to go very frequently on my own, I finished work Friday lunchtimes and the cinema is near where I work so it was ideal. The only ones I wouldn't bother with are kids films.

Now I only go a couple of times a year but usually on my own, having a small child makes it too difficult/expensive to go with the wife.

No one cares if you're on your own, they care if you're noisy or on your phone during the film.
  • DukeSilver 14 Oct 2017 13:44:55 2,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Didn't OP go to an orgy where a strange man touched his willy? A lone cinema visit should be easy compared to that.

I wonder what/who he's doing now?
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Oct 2017 13:49:47 5,598 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Isn't Phage the OP?

He's busy this weekend trying to get audio from his 360 to his telly.
  • DukeSilver 14 Oct 2017 14:01:53 2,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You're right. The forum seems a bit flaky on the mobile app today. I was referring to this sexual being.

CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I have never, ever been to the cinema on my own!

... I just cannot do it.

Nearly did when I went travelling for a year when I wanted to see Avatar in the world biggest IMAX screen in Melbourne - the girl who was on top of me (in my room) asked what I was up to that day and decided to tag along.

p.s. Oh, I meant the girl who was on the top of our bunk bed!
  • Load_2.0 14 Oct 2017 14:07:34 25,936 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Going to the cinema alone is glorious.

Immersion without distraction.
  • DaM 14 Oct 2017 14:08:26 16,891 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's funny, you bunch of weirdos, I was just thinking this morning how I could skive off work and go and see Blade Runner by myself, as I don't think the wife will want to go.

Imax at 9.45 or Imax 3D at 13.45, perfect.

TBH I've never really been that interested in Imax, disappointed with it after my first experience in an Imax Omni or something. That was good. Rest is just a big screen.

Edited by DaM at 14:13:02 14-10-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Oct 2017 14:52:45 11,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd definitely recommend Blade Runner on the biggest screen possible. It's like sex in the eyes.
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Oct 2017 15:04:46 6,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My mate would work nights and go on his own in the morning. Really don't see a problem with people going on their own. Have more respect for them if anything.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Oct 2017 15:04:57 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bit annoyed that it's only available in imax 3d.
  • riceNpea 14 Oct 2017 18:21:36 937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like going to the cinema on my own. Usually when I'm supposed to be working.
  • MrFlay 14 Oct 2017 20:10:41 3,639 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to Blade Runner for a second time tomorrow and the Party. I'll be on the lookout for thirty-something weirdos.

I still download movies but I don't really watch many at home anymore. I have about 5tb of movies.
  • foster2007 3 Jan 2018 11:13:50 254 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I go to the cinema alone often enough, its quite relaxing
  • RawShark 3 Jan 2018 14:18:06 178 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah no issue with it. While I'll go see a film with friends if people are interested, they've kind of gotten too cool for school so aren't interested in anything Marvel, for example.

Which is a shame as I could really use some back up when I want to tell the kids in front the shut the fuck up or stop recording the film on Whatsapp...

Late morning screenings - that's the way forward.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.