Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Page 27

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 19 Sep 2011 16:11:18 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, still sticking with it. Multiplayer is still enormous fun, working my way towards 200 assists so I can wear the full Corvus Mk6 set that takes me right back to the first set of plastic marines I bought, studded shoulder pads, beaks and all.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• L_Franko Moderator 19 Sep 2011 16:13:13 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finished the campaign over the weekend and am planning to go back and try getting the level achievements, like complete a level with only the bolt pistol and chainsword one.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Sep 2011 16:18:17 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't think that's one, is it?

Stalker Bolter and Chainsaw.
    Something something and power axe.
    Only plasma weapons (looks tricky).

So close to the whole chapter on Hard without dying and in one sitting last night. Cocking Ork dropship.

• L_Franko Moderator 19 Sep 2011 16:22:21 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, if it's Stalker Bolter that is a whole different ball game. Still, interested to see how I get on with it. Flat Mate robbed my copy before the end credits had even stopped so need to wait for him to finish it now.

Yeah, that Plasma weapons one looks like a test of skill. Quite enjoy the Plasma rifle myself.
  • Restart 19 Sep 2011 17:17:35 4,706 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is an achievement for completing a level with only the Bolt Pistol & Chainsword.

I've started playing Gears today, & frankly, I'm finding it nowhere near as fun & satisfying as this. Infact, all the complaints levelled at this in the reviews are accentuated 10 fold in Gears. It really is quite boring.
  • RedSparrows 19 Sep 2011 17:23:19 22,070 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this game better than the demo? Cos I found the demo really quite dull.
  • QotSAfan 19 Sep 2011 21:39:42 1,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    I've not even got to the Chaos bit yet, but I'll be trading it for Gears next week, I'm not loving it enough to warrant finishing it off. There should be a way of getting health back if you're inflicting ranged damage.
    I think the Fury Ranged Mode does that!
  • LeoliansBro 20 Sep 2011 10:12:55 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Made it to level 17 last night and got to 50 assists - just 150 more to unlock the Corvus armour.

Also don't know what everyone is moaning about with the online melta gun being overpowered. It's a nerfed Gears shotgun with a shorter range and a reload as long as the lascannon. Won't one hit kill devastators either, although it's a mean counter to raptors / assault marines.

I like the double weapon unlock, but you die so frequently that I can't see it being useful enough to merit taking up a slot.

Also: fuck plasma cannons.

• LeoliansBro 20 Sep 2011 10:19:42 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Learning the levels is a major help, as they're proper warrens. The bridge is probably the most straighforward, I was loving teefing through the undertunnels with a raptor before raping the static devastators from behind, was my favourite trick until I came up against a properly coordinated team who stuck a heavy bolter chap down there. Spoiled my fun.

• telboy007 20 Sep 2011 13:51:21 428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It gets better, there are some amazing set pieces later on in the game.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• L_Franko Moderator 20 Sep 2011 13:54:18 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Honestly, I didn't notice anywhere througout the whole game infinitley spawning enemies.
  • Buztafen 20 Sep 2011 14:01:45 16,072 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Honestly, I didn't notice anywhere througout the whole game infinitley spawning enemies.

Pretty sure the only place was when you restart the sentry guns about half way through...but they're just there to give the guns something to shoot at. You can move on regardless.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Sep 2011 14:20:24 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah yes, you are correct. Still, doesn't become a problem as the section is done before you notice.
  • LeoliansBro 20 Sep 2011 15:49:52 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gotyourmoney wrote:
    Honestly, I didn't think anyone could fail to miss the infinite spawns early in the game. For example, when you meet up with your second squadmate (I forget which order you meet up with your squad in).

Anyway I've only just started, having to cover Leandros as he pushes the shell, died twice to a big mass of green including one of those big fuckers and at least one exploding squig. The first time it happened I basically spazzed out and started mashing keys. The second time I spazzed out and mashed keys again, but slightly less wildly. Clearly I need to rethink my strategy. You'd think it wouldn't surprise me the second time, oh well.
    First infinite spawn is stopped by you running close enough to the Sergeant, which isn't tricky.

Second is on a timer, shoot the squigs, stay out of the way of the shooters (by gong round the corner to the left of the room as you face it) and save Fury for the Nobs. PoP.

• LeoliansBro 21 Sep 2011 10:33:00 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The one thing I've noticed is that there are several areas which are completely empty, as if they ran out of time to populate all the maps with enemies. It's never overlong and you're never out of the fight for more than half a minute, but they are there.

Last battles on the spire are brilliant :)

Completed on Hard. Now for the challenges.

• Buztafen 22 Sep 2011 12:14:05 16,072 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Hard last night and started mining for cheevs which was actually a very pleasant experience.

Chapter 14 starts with 3 portals opened by Psykers which spawn infinite chaos guardsmen (another infinite spawn area i didn't notice first play through) if you dont close them...pick up auto cannon...1 satisfying bullet per kill...then charge in for the Fury bloodbath.

Also the last boss has to be the most therapeutic battle ive had in a long time. Smash buttons to mash the face of big bad into a pulpy mess. Dodge occasionally. \o/
  • LeoliansBro 27 Sep 2011 09:49:25 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd really love to 1000G this game, the limited weapon achievements in particular are great fun. But there are a couple of achievements I just can't see happening. Shoot 50 raptors out of the sky is far from straighforward as the jumpy buggers are never up thee long enough in my experience. But complete all the weapons challenges... yikes.

• Buztafen 27 Sep 2011 10:02:50 16,072 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Traded this in for Gears 3 (4.99 Game Bargain) but i made the mistake of playing 1 game of multi before leaving for the shops...its rather good online isnt it. Tried a few of different loadouts thanks to the copy function, heavy bolter ftw, and came top in my team on a seize map.

Bit gutted i couldn't keep it as well as getting Gears...stupid purchasing of house making me skint for rest of my life...:(
  • LeoliansBro 27 Sep 2011 10:29:31 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, and getting a 10:1 kill/death ratio in a Deathmatch game? Course I'm gonna be able to do that sunshine, course I am...

Multiplayer (occasional unplayably laggy games aside) is the tits. Long range lascannon snipe is like winning the jackpot on a fruit machine, your screen lights up with a big line of orange skulls celebrating the kill/headshot/extreme range etc and your brain responds by pumping gallons of serotonin into your system.

And people who moan about meltagun defence campers need to get a grip - they've got it wrong, heavy bolter defence camping is where it's at baby! Settle down in a corner and get fly swatting, nothing, NOTHING will beat you in a one on one if you have the iron halo extra armour equipped. Thunder Hammer sir? I'd like to see you try. Lascannon? Don't let the worrying shrinkage on your health bar upset your aim. Storm bolter? Please.

Camping not active enough? Get jumping! Go get an exploding backpack and the extra damage on crashdown perk and ruin everyone's day. Be annoying - steal people's waypoints they've captured, but don't bother capturing them yourself, just scurry away and pester someone else. Rock up out of nowhere pissing plasma to knock off their armour (Halo much?) and then chainsawing them to shreds. Shortcut the hell out of levels as the poor groundbound lunks go the long way around. Laugh at their obvious inferiority, before casually bounding off the edge of the map to your doom. Again.

And tactical marines - ah, rapid deployment? You've a giant killer gun you say sir? Or can fly? Well, I spawn right in the action, twice as fast as you, and my bolter is the utter tits. In fact, it beats out the storm bolter, meltagun, minelaying vengeance launcher, sniping stalker pattern bolter, serrated combat knife and all the other myriad choices this class has to be probably the best weapon in the game. Plus I'm faster than you BITCH.

Sorry, love letter over.

• Tryhard 27 Sep 2011 10:35:43 3,708 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have not played this since I hit Level 41.But my Mrs watched me play and bought some Assault Marines and got the paint brush swirling.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/RavenTd/DSC02840.jpg
  • Knighty 27 Sep 2011 10:39:33 978 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the online for this still active Now gears has been released? Looking to jump back in once I've finished Gears single player, as Gears will be popular for a while yet I'd imagine. Don't want to get back to this to find it takes me forever to get a game going!
  • LeoliansBro 27 Sep 2011 11:15:48 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still just as many people playing it as before Gears came out, from my experience.

Multiplayer especially is really nothing like Gears though.

• Phattso Moderator 27 Sep 2011 11:18:46 13,209 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So basically just you playing it then? ;)
  • LeoliansBro 27 Sep 2011 11:27:29 43,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ba-dum tish!

If I had to compare it, as I've said before it's a 3rd person Shadowrun.

I have run into a couple of occasions where lag ruins any chance of a decent game, but otherwise it's full up and takes about 30 secs to drop me in the thick of things. You need to learn the levels though, they're pretty intricate and a couple are proper mazes.

• Restart 27 Sep 2011 16:53:34 4,706 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played a bunch of matches yesterday afternoon, & there were still plenty of people playing. The game is so much different to Gears that people will just play both (like me!).
  • Page

of 29 First / Last