Google Chrome Page 2

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Huntcjna 2 Sep 2008 16:43:02 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    espy wrote:
    Should be very interesting. Release is appently at 9 in the evening here in Germany, that would be 8pm for you brits. Hunt, where did you get the 6pm thing?

It was on the Wiki that the release was 6:00pm tonight GMT but that seems top have now changed to 7:00pm GMT so who knows.
  • Carlo 2 Sep 2008 16:43:12 18,214 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll give it a go.

PSN ID: Djini

• Whizzo 2 Sep 2008 16:43:14 43,344 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:IE8 does that too.
    The IE8 beta doesn't work with my RAS setup so I've had to bin it!

This space left intentionally blank.

• wobbler147 2 Sep 2008 16:44:30 5,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reminds me a bit of the Wii browser.
  • DodgyPast 2 Sep 2008 16:45:23 8,533 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Not having one tab going nuts and taking down the browser will be lovely. If it lives up to the comic's promises this will be an easy switch for me.
    It'll end up on my machine as a semi debug tool since it can be used to see the load web pages and plug-ins put on your machine.

I'll have to see how all the plug-in development moves on before it'd make it as my main browser.

Still it is designed to make web apps run as well as possible and is the reason that Google have done this.

I suspect they don't give a flying if only 1% use their browser, but IE, Opera and FF all keep up with it's ability to run web apps.
  • L42yB 2 Sep 2008 16:49:24 1,673 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Nothing wrong with IE7

o_O

Have you even used IE7?? It's rubbish! Slow and bloody crashes all the time. And if you have it running for a long time it just keeps on chewing up memory like there is no tomorrow :(

Firefox is good though. Will still have a look at Google Chrome, but not until it's out of beta
  • andijames 2 Sep 2008 16:55:31 2,838 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L42yB wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Nothing wrong with IE7

o_O

Have you even used IE7?? It's rubbish! Slow and bloody crashes all the time. And if you have it running for a long time it just keeps on chewing up memory like there is no tomorrow :(

Firefox is good though. Will still have a look at Google Chrome, but not until it's out of beta

Probably around the turn of the decade then :D

Personally i think IE7 is pretty good. Does chew up memory so only open it when i need it. Firefox i just don't like the look and feel of it. Use safari more than anything else these days. Clean, quick and to the point.

vivir el momento

• Der_tolle_Emil 2 Sep 2008 17:14:54 7,301 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    burns wrote:
    It's based on webkit, which is used by Safari if I'm not mistaken.

That's it then, because if it is true then the google browser is dead to me. Safari on Windows is a failed abortion of a browser.

It's only the rendering engine, not the whole browser.

I only complain about the rendering engine :) It's horrible if you have to concern yourself with corparate design/identity because not even the fonts look like they should.
  • PinkSpider 2 Sep 2008 17:19:14 3,346 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did an acid test on all the browsers not long ago. Opera and Safari were the only browsers to render the page correctly...
  • kdsh7 2 Sep 2008 17:48:03 1,177 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:

I only complain about the rendering engine :) It's horrible if you have to concern yourself with corparate design/identity because not even the fonts look like they should.

I think 'fonts' look better! Not as clear though. The reason is that Safari (and OSX) render fonts with emphasis on the accuracy of the font using antialiasing to render half pixels, whereas other browsers on windows push fonts to the nearest pixel - making them much clearer, but less true to the font.
  • Xerx3s 2 Sep 2008 17:54:59 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't see anything that would make a user switch. TBF, google seems to become the new MS.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 17:56:54
    Do you think they're doing this in response to Adblock blocking their ads? If they make a free, good browser that keeps all ads they may drive their profit back up.
  • Carlo 2 Sep 2008 17:57:05 18,214 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    TBF, google seems to become the new MS.
    You do know this new browser is completely open source right?

Microsoft do that?

PSN ID: Djini

• Xerx3s 2 Sep 2008 17:59:50 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:

Microsoft do that?

MS started much the same way. FAT is a MS IP and they let the OS community use it for nope i.e. MS was once heralded as the 'freedom fighter' against the big evil IBM.
  • Jeepers 2 Sep 2008 18:02:28 13,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That web comic made me spit blood. Fucking Merkin companies and their stupid infantilisation of the whole world.

"Hiya guys!!1, I'm a great big smiley faced indie guy drawn in a deliberately and cynically low-fi manner and I just can't wait to tell you about multi-threading in an immensely patronising way!"

Cock off you fuckfaced goon.
  • andijames 2 Sep 2008 18:06:26 2,838 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:

Microsoft do that?

MS started much the same way. FAT is a MS IP and they let the OS community use it for nope i.e. MS was once heralded as the 'freedom fighter' against the big evil IBM.

Strange how the hunter becomes the hunted :)

I remember the old days when MS started out. They had a hard job pushing standards on people and so created everything from an open platform but ever since windows 95 which, to be fair, pretty much galvanized most desktops to one environment they have had a monopoly on what formats to use etc and they closed the source code right up. I guess it's natural if someone makes a product they think is so good that they want to protect it but do you think google will go this route too?

I'd be surprised if they're not working on an OS that's for sure..

vivir el momento

• Der_tolle_Emil 2 Sep 2008 18:16:42 7,301 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kdsh7 wrote:
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:

I think 'fonts' look better! Not as clear though. The reason is that Safari (and OSX) render fonts with emphasis on the accuracy of the font using antialiasing to render half pixels, whereas other browsers on windows push fonts to the nearest pixel - making them much clearer, but less true to the font.

That's true, it's still a problem though because when you have images with fonts then you can clearly see the difference. The worse part is that there is no way to influence font rendering at all in any browser to make fonts look the same in every browser.

Most of the time it's not much of a problem but to be honest the Apple community so far could be easily ignored. Safari on Windows didn't have as much impact as I expected but I'm afraid that the Google browser will find much more acceptence so the importance of making sure a webpage looks good in that browser as well will be much higher.

After a while you figure out what you can do that will look pretty much the same in all of the big browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) without having to change anything or just very little. Safari (or WebKit to be more precise) is just something that may have to be considered in the future as well and I don't like that. Especially because from my experience there is so much that the rendering engine is doing a bit differently that I cannot influence at all.
  • Razz 2 Sep 2008 18:22:17 61,651 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beta is for US only :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• DodgyPast 2 Sep 2008 18:33:42 8,533 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    from that it says:
    Google announced Monday that it has been hard at work on an open-source browser known as Chrome, a beta version which will be broadcast in 100 countries on Tuesday.
  • Bloodloss 2 Sep 2008 18:34:00 4,499 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ecu 2 Sep 2008 18:35:19 77,308 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:

It's just that particular site that's only releasing it in the US. Google's official page isn't up yet, and it'll be available over here too.

Even if it wasn't, it'd be available to download from other, international places too, including torrents.
  • meggsy 2 Sep 2008 18:35:44 1,628 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    George W. Google doesn't care about British people.

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• mouse 2 Sep 2008 18:36:31 10,310 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    kdsh7 wrote:
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:

That's true, it's still a problem though because when you have images with fonts then you can clearly see the difference. The worse part is that there is no way to influence font rendering at all in any browser to make fonts look the same in every browser.

Most of the time it's not much of a problem but to be honest the Apple community so far could be easily ignored. Safari on Windows didn't have as much impact as I expected but I'm afraid that the Google browser will find much more acceptence so the importance of making sure a webpage looks good in that browser as well will be much higher.

After a while you figure out what you can do that will look pretty much the same in all of the big browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) without having to change anything or just very little. Safari (or WebKit to be more precise) is just something that may have to be considered in the future as well and I don't like that. Especially because from my experience there is so much that the rendering engine is doing a bit differently that I cannot influence at all.

Are you sure the font rendering isn't specific to Safari and not WebKit?
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 18:37:00
    Aw come ooon I want to try this.
  • NBZ 2 Sep 2008 18:37:34 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:

How web 1.0!
  • NBZ 2 Sep 2008 18:39:33 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The screenshots look interesting.

@mouse - that is the case. The next Safari for Windows will likely have a toggle option for which rendering technology to use.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last