Aion Online The Tower of Eternity Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Hunam 3 Jul 2009 21:57:07 20,674 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing this all afternoon, have to say I'm rather impressed. It's basically half Western MMO and Half Eastern MMO and gets the mix just right. Got quests and story and a bright, brash and lovley world to explore (well, for the side im on :) It can be a little goofy in places but it all works out well.
  • kestral 6 Jul 2009 13:55:55 70 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep bored of wow and the universe and architecture is breathtaking. Smooth interface and its not about elves and orcs and the story flashbacks are fantastic. Then I bought a cowboy hat and a monocle and knew I was sold.
  • Hunam 6 Jul 2009 13:58:26 20,674 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The flying was really good... except that there is bugger all places to actually fly. Whats the point in giving players wings if you're just going to make most zones none fly? Stupid game.
  • DFawkes 6 Jul 2009 14:06:23 24,069 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried to race up to level 10 to fly, but I got bored already. It's alright, and certainly better than most Eastern MMOs, but I can't see me playing it up to 1 in the morning like other MMOs I've loved in the past.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Hypercube 6 Jul 2009 18:48:21 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had real fun playing the demo, but what really pissed me off is the kill stealing. One quest required killing some Sentinels and collecting a drop, and the whole area was teeming with players. As soon as one sentinel popped, everyone swarmed on it and the classes that did the fastest damage for the drop.

Playing a priest felt vey depressing :(

Looked gorgeous though, and I loved the environments. The skill chains were cool too.
  • JediMasterMalik 6 Jul 2009 20:36:28 11,820 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked it too. My biggest concern is the interface, and I hope they improve it, cause as it is, it's no where near as good as the WoW interface, or indeed most good western MMOs.

The combat mechanics could take some smoothing out too, but otherwise the combat is good. Only played to lvl 18, so don't know about later, but there wasn't much variety in equipment which is something many MMO's seem to have a problem with.

Kill tagging is something they definitely need to look at carefully too. It's a shame the environments aren't as good looking as the characters, but the graphics are very nice overall.

Looking forward to trying out the PvP and later levels in the other betas. (which I assume we're automatically in.)
  • Gaol 6 Jul 2009 20:59:02 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked it too.

First mmorpg in a while to get the basics right in terms of combat response and feedback. The world felt cohesive and interesting, and the game looked and sounded good.

My main concern from the low level stuff is the fact that there only appears to be one route through the game, including one starting area per faction. This makes alts repetitive and can lead to rather busy and laggy areas. Flipside is the world feels populated.

Ofc whether the game has legs depends on the endgame system which I'm still none the wiser on.

/cautiously optimistic
  • JediMasterMalik 6 Jul 2009 21:03:10 11,820 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that was annoying as well, I like to play lots of different classes to have some variety, but the only story variation was playing either Elyos or Asmodian.

Also, I didn't feel the classes did much to set themselves apart from each other if that makes sense, they look very similar to each other, and while they do play differently, the mechanics are pretty similar. If that makes sense.

It's better than I expected, but still not as good as it could be, and may well become later on.
  • Megapocalypse 6 Jul 2009 21:31:34 5,518 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played it for a little bit but didn't get round to giving it a proper go. Made me realise how much wow needs a graphics update though. :(
  • Dizzy 7 Jul 2009 07:24:27 2,762 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played it for one hour and fell asleep. Does nothing for me.

Back to LOTRO and WAR.

/uninstall
  • mathyoubis 15 Jul 2009 10:27:39 65 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm interested in this one, though I couldn't get into the beta yet. I appreciate the feedback you folks have left though - it makes me like the sound of the game already.
  • Hypercube 16 Jul 2009 11:00:20 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the next closed beta starts tomorrow night - Play have actually sent me a key that (apparently) gets me into all the closed betas until launch, so I'm going to see if it works.

This time, instead of trying every class through the early levels, I think I'm going to stick to a maximum of 2 - a warrior/templar and maybe mage/sorcerer or priest/chanter.
  • Hypercube 16 Jul 2009 16:58:44 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Play.com are a bunch of retarded cock monkeys. I pre-ordered the CE over a month ago, and today they've emailed me telling me they can't get hold of any more so they've cancelled my order.

Fuck you Play.
  • DFawkes 16 Jul 2009 17:07:03 24,069 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, I tried to pre-order that one morning but had second thoughts, went back and it wasn't there. I was quite gutted, but not it seems like they fucked up even the people that ordered in time. That's not fair on anyone, you'd have thought they'd have a fixed amount that wouldn't suddenly reduce.

It has to be a manufacturing thing for the extras, so I wouldn't be surprised if others shops do similar.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• FooAtari 16 Jul 2009 19:35:10 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I pre-ordered this from Amazon so hope I get a key to try it out. Looking forward to this, I think I missed a lot by not getting into WoW at the begining so looking forward to getting into a new one from the start.

Just saw on Amazon, codes go out Monday before, so checked my mail and had it binned, thought it was just another spam email from Amazon. Lucky I checked...
  • Hypercube 17 Jul 2009 10:15:02 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, those nice people on the AionSource.com forum have been giving me the low down - seems like a hell of a lot of people have had their CE orders cancelled by the incompetent fucking retards at Play.com, but luckily the pre-order codes are still valid.

So I'll be able to get into the closed betas and also into the head start period, but the CE codes for in-game items will only be available now if you order the CE as a download from NCSoft. You won't get the 'hand painted figurine' (which has been described online in not exactly complimentary terms!) or the poster, but you will get the codes for the special wings and hat (and whatever else it is).

The dowload CEs are still limited though. Frankly, I don't care anymore. As long as I can get a copy by release date, I've given up on having the extras. Anyone with a pre-order still needs a retail key to continue playing after the full release date.
  • FooAtari 19 Jul 2009 18:37:05 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well having played this a bit today, so far I'm not sure about it. I don't like the eastern style of it very much and so far it seems a little lifeless....

Edit
    And Im back to playing WoW.

/Uninstalls Aion
  • Hypercube 20 Jul 2009 17:08:05 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been playing it again over the weekend, I love the eastern style of it! Lots of people in the cities as well, I guess stuff like guilds are only just starting, since they'll get wiped at the end of the beta.

Was in Altgard yesterday, looked up and saw something massive flying through the sky, like a big aerial whale. And the creatures standing in the ice lake are great. Enjoying playing a Templar as well, although now I have polearm envy whenever I see a Gladiator go by... Hmmm, massive armour or massive weapon?
  • Gaol 20 Jul 2009 20:05:15 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's it just finished for the weekend again.

Great game, now up to level 16 and it's terrific fun. The world has a lot of attention to detail, whether it's the wildlife, or the NPCs, or just the scenery.

I'll be buying this come Sep/Oct.
  • ZuluHero 20 Jul 2009 23:36:05 4,312 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dizzy

Thats kinda funny, as i just uninstalled both LOTRO and WAR from my PC in favour of Aion. Each to their own eh? :)

Ive had my fill of these beta tests now. I'd already set a max of lvl 10 for myself, but after levelling 6 times (3 on each side and 1 of each base class and 2 on some to check out the class sub branch) i'm going to stop now to wait for launch.

As some have said here already, the game won't hold up to repeat playthroughs, but i think i know the start areas well enough now that i can get to 10 in about 3 hours. So its not much time lost when they wipe...

I know i love the game, the quests the lore, the look - all i have to do now is wait. Besides, we should see a huge improvement between Ver 1.0 (that we are testing) and 1.5 that will be the launch version - with voice overs for cutscenes, localizations and more quests and everything!

Roll on September! :)

• Deleted user 21 July 2009 21:24:22
    I was impressed with the beta, but not sure if I want to play another MMO where nearly everyone is Swedish, Danish, Finnish or Dutch.
  • shamblemonkee 23 Jul 2009 10:00:20 14,656 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    when is the open beta for this?
  • uiruki 23 Jul 2009 10:28:58 3,764 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Next month according to those guys at Eurogamer.
  • Hypercube 23 Jul 2009 10:30:33 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rdysn5 wrote:
    I was impressed with the beta, but not sure if I want to play another MMO where nearly everyone is Swedish, Danish, Finnish or Dutch.

Don't forget that the closed betas have had a cut down list of servers, so when it's fully released there should be localised servers for non-English speakers.

No guarantee that the English servers will be free of Finns, Dutch or Danes etc, but I'm not bothered as long as the general chat is mostly in English.

I've not seen any open beta dates yet though, maybe they're hoping that only having closed betas will drive pre-orders...

Edit: Doh! uiruki delivers the goods! :)
  • JediMasterMalik 24 Jul 2009 01:17:10 11,820 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I preordered from play.com so should be able to play the upcoming betas. If I decide I dont like it, I'll just cancel my order, no loss to me. :D
  • Hypercube 25 Jul 2009 13:03:49 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! Just got an email from Play.com, telling me that the email telling me that they'd cancelled my CE pre-order due to lack of stock was in fact a clerical error!

So I'll still be getting my in game goodies. Woohoo!
  • Hunam 25 Jul 2009 13:09:11 20,674 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you still get the CE anymore, and are the EU beta's still running? Feel like I should give the game a second chance.
  • Hypercube 25 Jul 2009 13:38:29 976 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think all the boxed CEs are sold out, but you can get it from NCSoft or Steam digitally. Still get the in-game items, but not the figurine.

There's two more open EU betas according to this.
  • Hunam 25 Jul 2009 13:41:40 20,674 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm not gonna pay the price unless I get trinkets tbh, so might just wait till it hits the usual 7.99 post release that all MMO's do after a couple of months.

Checked the offical website too, from the EG link and that says:

Overview of upcoming Closed Beta Events:
    Closed Beta Event #5 - July 31-August 3 Focus: Elyos and Asmodian levels 1-30
    Closed Beta Event #6 - August 14-August 17 Focus: TBD

So next weekend basically, will my lvl 10 character still be alive?
  • Page

of 10 First / Last