Ubuntu Page 18

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• chopsen 19 Feb 2013 19:53:59 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In related news, I tried libreoffice 4 the other day. Very slick, fast, responsible. But object linking and embedding didn't work. Morons.
  • MrDigital 19 Feb 2013 20:24:56 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I used to use Linux mint, lovely os. Isn't it 90% Ubuntu though? Or it was 4 or 5 years ago
    More so in the past I believe. I think Linux Mint was basically Ubuntu but with all the extra software that Ubuntu wouldn't include on the basis that it wasn't open source software.

But I believe there is a greater deal of difference now due to the fact that when Ubuntu picked up Gnome 3, Linux Mint forked Gnome 2 and created Cinnamon. My knowledge is a bit rusty, so that could be a bit off :p

Edited by Geesh at 20:25:32 19-02-2013

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• dominalien 19 Feb 2013 23:26:08 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    In related news, I tried libreoffice 4 the other day. Very slick, fast, responsible. But object linking and embedding didn't work. Morons.
    Oh, is it out already? I won't be updating any Linux machines, but I'll be more than happy to try it out on my Mac.

As for features not working... that's what you get in a new version of free software. Should be all fixed in 4.1. 4.0.2 if we're lucky.

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 4 Apr 2013 09:45:32 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a little go on Raring, or 13.04 if you will, today. They're not even trying to pretend they don't simply want to be OS X any more. It looks nice enough, but that's about it. Some bugs in the interface persist, as always.

As an interesting aside, multiple desktops are now disabled by default. Probably a sane choice, as I've never seen anyone not technically minded using them.

Suspend didn't work, again. And they've been doing so well the last couple of releases.

• AceGrace 4 Apr 2013 14:56:07 1,207 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just tried 13.04 too just now. They still haven't fixed the sound problem present in 12.10 and 12.04.

It makes using Ubuntu useless to me as I cannot use skype.
  • dominalien 4 Apr 2013 15:07:34 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What sound problem? I haven't had any problems with sound on a few machines in quite a few years.

• AceGrace 4 Apr 2013 15:14:43 1,207 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do a search. It is quite common. I have tried ever suggestion but no sound still. It was working fine in 11.
  • MrDigital 4 Apr 2013 15:18:45 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tried switching drivers?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• AceGrace 4 Apr 2013 15:21:30 1,207 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If I knew how to. Bit of a beginner with linux. Its all a bit strange despite having been a software developer for about 28 years (mainly windows/dos etc..)

My sound comes through hdmi so that could be the problem. I tried installing the ATI Radeon driver but all that did was change the aspect ratio to 4:3 which meant I could't see the side menu.
  • dominalien 4 Apr 2013 15:45:08 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hm, it may be the open-source driver doesn't support sound through HDMI. Remember, it's laden with all sorts of DRM, which is a big no-no in open-source environments.

The closed Radeon driver will support all bells and whistles but its quality is less than stellar. Fiddling with it is definitely necessary to get such a setup working. It will, however, definitely not be installed out-of-the-box.

• AceGrace 4 Apr 2013 15:46:44 1,207 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am pretty sure sound worked on Ubuntu 11 through HDMI so perhaps they have removed support for it. I will have to try hunting around.
  • dominalien 4 Apr 2013 16:06:55 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It may be the driver regressed and no-one's bothered to fix it. It's sadly known to happen. You're a developer, perhaps you could do something about it. :-)

• AceGrace 4 Apr 2013 16:37:31 1,207 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thats not going to happen. I don't have a beard and sandals. :)
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 16:43:31
    Ubuntu just seems to get more bogged down with each release. It just feels so horrendously cluttered it makes me actually feel claustrophobia to use the desktop. I whacked Lubuntu on my netbook and the difference is night and day.
  • chopsen 4 Apr 2013 17:34:13 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst thing is they throw in features that nobody really asked for or want (yet another GUI for linux! Ads integrated! A totally different boot process that achieves nothing over init in debian! Woo!) and fail to address basic functionality issues.
  • Rodpad 4 Apr 2013 17:36:09 1,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Linux still great for end users at home then.
  • dominalien 4 Apr 2013 20:04:57 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's OK.

• Ginger 4 Apr 2013 20:27:21 6,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    As an interesting aside, multiple desktops are now disabled by default. Probably a sane choice, as I've never seen anyone not technically minded using them.
    First thing I re-enabled :)

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 9 April 2013 16:45:38
    I swear I just can't win with Linux. Have Lubuntu on my netbook, which works absolutely fine and dandy for what I need it to, I figure I'd try again with a distro on my laptop. Installed the latest Mint, all went smoothly and happily...except for one minor (but hugely annoying) bug. I use a wifi dongle because the onboard wifi is utterly shit, but when I bring the laptop out of standby it automatically switches on all wireless devices (including bluetooth) and automatically reconnects to my preferred network using the internal card, meaning I have to manually disconnect and disable the device before I can connect with the dongle.

On investigating, it seems I can get around it with a bit of command-line shenanigans, but still. Literally every distro I've ever used has had something finicky and annoying like that (ranging from minor connection issues to live CDs actually completely trashing my MBR), and these are the major reasons above all why Linux just isn't adopted by the masses.

I want to love it, but it just won't let me.
  • dominalien 9 Apr 2013 19:45:13 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that's how it can be sometimes.

You basically just need to blacklist the module for your internal wifi card to stop it loading. You may even do it without using the commandline.

Edit: wanted to include the path to the blacklist file you need to edit but the fantastic eg forum wouldn't let me...

Edited by dominalien at 19:48:25 09-04-2013

• dominalien 25 Apr 2013 14:36:12 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ubuntu 13.04 is out now.

Here's an article from omgubuntu about it: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-13-04

It recently struck me that I haven't done a wipe-and-install in 3 years on my laptop; I think I'll do one this time. See you from the other side in a bit (probably 5 hours, looking as I'm doing a backup via USB 2).

• imamazed 25 Apr 2013 14:40:30 5,797 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UVAVU
  • pinebear 25 Apr 2013 15:15:06 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    URANU

• Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:36:58 352 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crytek is looking for a Linux programmer to work on the Linux version of CryEngine. Just thought I would leave that here.

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:40:10 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, and the Ubuntu is bumped as well, I wonder by whom?

I don't think it's necessary to post the same piece of news twice on the same forum, Hex.

Interest in Linux still low.

• Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:42:41 352 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Ah, and the Ubuntu is bumped as well, I wonder by whom?

I don't think it's necessary to post the same piece of news twice on the same forum, Hex.

I don't know, other forums I frequent deem it perfectly acceptable, especially when different crowds frequent different parts of the forum. It just makes sense to me in order to reach all the relevant parties. Hopefully interest in Linux will increase soon!

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:45:37 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep fighting the good fight, mate!

• mal 9 Jul 2013 13:49:11 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Interest in Ubuntu is low, you mean.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Hexagon 9 Jul 2013 13:51:03 352 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Interest in Ubuntu is low, you mean.
    Still the most popular Linux distro! I myself use Manjaro, however.

GOG for Linux!

• dominalien 9 Jul 2013 13:54:09 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You maybe onto something there, but it's still a prominent distro and what happens in Ubuntu has a big bearing on the whole Linux world, so you'd think it would be of interest to people, even if they don't like or use Ubuntu anymore.

If that makes any sense.

• Page

of 20 First / Last