2D Platformer Games

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2008 15:17:08 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like many different types of games, including 3D platformers. However, my gf loves 2D platformers. She really enjoyed the DS version of Super Mario World but hated Super Mario 64 as she does not enjoy the 3D world as much. We have a Wii and the only games she really likes so far have been the Wii sports, WarioWare and recently, Mario Kart Wii.

Can anyone advise me which console to look at for 2D platform games so I can get one for her? I don't mind which console it is and realise we would be looking a a retro console now but thats fine. Also, a few recomendations for games to look out for as well please.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Jul 2008 15:18:48 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gameboy Advance? Or a SNES?
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2008 15:28:36 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Gameboy Advance? Or a SNES?

I was thinking along the lines of a SNES but haven't got a clue which games to look for. I was never really into Mario (or Nintendo games) myself.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Jul 2008 15:29:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neither did I. I'm really not the person to ask. :-D
  • Razz 2 Jul 2008 15:29:59 61,199 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You need to play Sybon

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2008 15:32:07 14,714 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have a Wii check out LostWinds.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• L42yB 2 Jul 2008 15:32:32 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your best bet is to get a chipped Xbox (the original, not a 360 - they're really cheap now) and then load up a ton of emulators on it.

Of course, you need to legally own the catridges/roms in order to do this... I would never suggest doing anything illegal...
  • Deleted user 2 July 2008 15:33:54
    Seeminsg as you have a DS stick with that you could easily buy both 2D DS and GBA platform games eg Super Mario world, Yoshis island, Yoshis Island DS, Ghouls n ghosts, CAstlevania games for both DS and GBA, Metroid GBA, Mega Man, Astro Boy GBA, Mickeys Magical Quest GBA etc etc.

If 2D is ya thing then stick with the DS.

The PSP also has some good 2D action eg the new ghouls n ghosts remake, Megaman powered up, Exit, Castlevania etc.
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2008 15:38:49 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L42yB wrote:
    Your best bet is to get a chipped Xbox (the original, not a 360 - they're really cheap now) and then load up a ton of emulators on it.

Of course, you need to legally own the catridges/roms in order to do this... I would never suggest doing anything illegal...

I think I have one in my garage somewhere but seems like a lot of hassle to go down this route. The alternative being just buying SNES with some cheap platform games on it.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2008 15:40:02
    Fonzie wrote:
    L42yB wrote:

I think I have one in my garage somewhere but seems like a lot of hassle to go down this route. The alternative being just buying SNES with some cheap platform games on it.

Most of tehd ecent platform games from teh snes got ported to teh GBA so will play on teh DS.
  • jellyhead 2 Jul 2008 15:41:11 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was going to say that the DS or Retro 16bit consoles are your best bet. Also have a shufty for the old Atari ST/Amiga games as most of those were 2D platform yumminess too.

mmmm, SNES Star Wars platformers...
    / drools
    UniRally...
    / drools more

This signature intentionally left blank.

• L42yB 2 Jul 2008 15:47:07 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    L42yB wrote:

Well, the biggest advantage is that you can have *all* previous consoles emulated on this one single console. And you can stick a massive hard disk in it so you can run all of your games without the need for any disks/cartridges.

You can also use it to stream media from your PC and play DVDs... and it also plays Xbox games :)
  • Kay 2 Jul 2008 15:47:10 17,880 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest, a Game Boy Advance would be the perfect console for 2D platformers. You get decent ports of some of the greatest ever SNES platformers (Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country Trilogy), as well as the decent Sonic Advance trilogy.

Alternatively you can get a DS - as well as being able to play all the aforementioned GBA games, you'll also have access to the newer Mario/Sonic titles.

K
  • Deleted user 2 July 2008 15:47:14
    2D platform games on DS or GBA

Castlevania dawn of SOrrows (DS)
    Castlevania portrait of ruin (DS)
    Castlevania harmony of dissonance (GBA)
    Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
    Castlevania Cicrle of teh moon (GBA)
    Ghouls n Ghosts (GBA)
    The Amazing Spiderman (GBA)
    Yoshis Island (GBA)
    Yoshis ISland (DS)
    Metroid Zero mission (GBA)
    Mickeys magical quest 1, 2 and 3 (GBA)
    Astro Boy Omega Factor (GBA)
    Gunstar Heroes (GBA)
    Metroid fusion (GBA)
    Super mario world (GBA)
    SOnic Advance games (GBA)
    Donkey kong games (GBA)

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Jul 2008 15:51:38 7,010 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely the Wii Virtual Console sorts you out? Or am I missing something?

It has a good range of classic platformers with more to come I'd imagine; Mario, Sonic, Wonderboy, Bonk, Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Yoshi etc.

There's also the Castlevanias/Metroids/Contra games too but they are less platformy than the one's I've already mentioned.

Get a classic controller and bob's your uncle. No extra boxes or cables, relatively cheap games and a console she's already familiar with.
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2008 16:57:16 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Surely the Wii Virtual Console sorts you out? Or am I missing something?

It has a good range of classic platformers with more to come I'd imagine; Mario, Sonic, Wonderboy, Bonk, Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Yoshi etc.

There's also the Castlevanias/Metroids/Contra games too but they are less platformy than the one's I've already mentioned.

Get a classic controller and bob's your uncle. No extra boxes or cables, relatively cheap games and a console she's already familiar with.

It would be greats to be able to use the Virtual Console stuff but for some reason, the Wii will not connect to my wireless setup - keep getting an error message. My PC and 360 are connected fine.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Jul 2008 17:05:47 7,010 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get yourself a Wii LAN Adapter. Sorted! ;)
  • tenofspades 2 Jul 2008 17:15:09 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah DS is good as it will play a load of GBA games which has a wealth of the kind of games your gf would like. Can also do it on the Dreamcast, XBox, PSP as you can emulate on all of them if you have the backup roms and that but it's a bit techy.
  • matrim83 2 Jul 2008 17:16:39 5,587 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    N+ is coming to the DS and the PSP in a weeks time. Probably the best 2D platformer to come out in years.

Its also free for the PC.

Valar morghulis.

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 2 Jul 2008 17:28:32 7,010 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are other ways of playing retro games on the Wii too, just search the forum/internet for Wiibrew.
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2008 17:29:57 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the info everyone. Time to go game and idea hunting.
  • AuthenticKaizen 5 Jul 2008 12:51:08 280 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    on the SNES i think your girflfirend would enjoy these titles:

super mario allstars
    super mario world 1+2
    plok
    popn twinbee 2 - rainbow bell adventures
    sparkster
    magical quest starring mickey mouse
    mega man x1,2,3
    prehestorik man
    umi hara kawase
    do re mi fantasy
    magical popn

some of them can be found reviewed here
    http://www.super-nes.com/

yeah and additionally as said castlevania series (on snes, playstation,gba and ds) ,metroid series(on nes, snes and gba) and contra series(on nes, snes, playstation 2)...

and for the pc she should definetly check out the best freeware jump n run action adventure metroid/castlevania style plattformer:

cave story
    http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

and this one is also worth to check out
    rerscue: the beagles
    http://www.16x16.org/2008/06/03/rescue-the-beagles-public-beta-is-out/
  • GrandpaUlrira 5 Jul 2008 13:00:29 3,753 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know it's a Nintendo game, but the single player in Smash Bros is actually a reasonably decent platform brawler.

Also, Kirby games are great fun, although usually a bit on the easy side, although the Kirby Fun Pak on the Snes (coming soon to DS!) lasted me bloody ages.
  • kinky_mong 12 Jul 2012 10:59:21 10,274 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you have a Wii you've already got access to Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Kirby's Epic Yarn which are all good 2D platformers.

But a DS is definitely a wise purchase as the vast list of games above shows.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Kay 12 Jul 2012 11:01:44 17,880 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rayman Origins is great, a nice throwback to classic 16-bit platformers. For anything else though, you'll have to look at the indie/PSN scene, or Nintendo consoles.

Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Braid, A Boy and his Blob, Spelunky, Kirby: Epic Yarn, DKC Returns, NSMB etc.
  • kalel 12 Jul 2012 11:02:33 87,599 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Braid, Limbo and Super Meat Boy are all excellent, although none are strictly speaking that traditional.
  • HisDudness 12 Jul 2012 11:05:27 979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Braid, Limbo and Super Meat Boy are all excellent, although none are strictly speaking that traditional.
    I second this. These all run on modest PC specs as well. PC is a great place for stylish puzzle platformers.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous