• Page

of 7 First / Last

• angeltreats 8 Jul 2008 16:58:29 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Where is the D700 improved over the D3?

Well in the self-cleaning sensor for one. Also has more button customisation or something.

What's been said about the high iso performance? I know the D3's is superb, is the D700 as good?
  • Deleted user 8 July 2008 16:58:30
    smoothpete wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Whiny Nikon fanboy moans aside ;) where are D3s down to £2,500, please?

:)
    Ebay you nikon beeyatch
    I'll eBay a lens, but I don't think I'd eBay a body - if anything goes wrong while it's under warranty I want someone in the UK to sort it out, not have to send it away or worse, lose my warranty altogether.
  • smoothpete 8 Jul 2008 16:58:44 31,010 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I can imagine right now there is a little devil on your shoulder saying "hey, £2300 is a great price. Sure, you were supposed to pay for the wedding with that money, but that's a bargain! Think of the ISO!"
  • smoothpete 8 Jul 2008 17:00:03 31,010 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Whiny Nikon fanboy moans aside ;) where are D3s down to £2,500, please?

:)
    Ebay you nikon beeyatch
    I'll eBay a lens, but I don't think I'd eBay a body - if anything goes wrong while it's under warranty I want someone in the UK to sort it out, not have to send it away or worse, lose my warranty altogether.
    Check this first, but I believe some have global warranties
  • Deleted user 8 July 2008 17:02:29
    smoothpete wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    I can imagine right now there is a little devil on your shoulder saying "hey, £2300 is a great price. Sure, you were supposed to pay for the wedding with that money, but that's a bargain! Think of the ISO!"
    Sadly as the late-summer lull in work kicks in (I got nothing whatsoever booked in after the middle of July!) I know it'll be a long time before I pick one up, but falling prices are always exciting news. Means I'll hopefully pay even less when I get around to it.
  • smoothpete 8 Jul 2008 17:04:25 31,010 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My problem right now is I'm just too frigging busy at the weekends to take pictures, I really need to put the 5D and spangly lens through their paces but it's proving tough
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 17:07:05 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the best reason not to get the D700 is that within a year they’ll be a new low end (D90 or whatever) version and a new high end (D3X or whatever) version, and so D700 owners will find themselves with a halfway house that they’ll have spent loads on.
  • smoothpete 8 Jul 2008 17:17:31 31,010 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not talking to you coz you said I had a small penis
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 17:18:59 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not talking to you coz you have a small penis!
  • smoothpete 8 Jul 2008 17:40:36 31,010 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah well that's not what your girlfriend/sister/mum/grandma said

;)
  • GingerMagician 8 Jul 2008 17:46:04 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think the best reason not to get the D700 is that within a year they’ll be a new low end (D90 or whatever) version and a new high end (D3X or whatever) version, and so D700 owners will find themselves with a halfway house that they’ll have spent loads on.
    No way is the D90 going to be FX format. Not a cat in hell's chance.

Problem with D700, for me, is the lenses. I have the Nikkor 18-200 VR and the Sigma 30 f/1.4, neither of which work fully on full frame sensors (not sure if third party lenses specifically designed for 1.5x sensors work at all on D700/D3 in crop mode).
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 17:48:24 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GingerMagician wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Whatever they call it, Nikon will release an FX format camera in the £1000 bracket to compete with the Canon D5. They have to.
  • GingerMagician 8 Jul 2008 17:53:52 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    GingerMagician wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Whatever they call it, Nikon will release an FX format camera in the £1000 bracket to compete with the Canon D5. They have to.
    Since when has the 5D been £1000? It's still around £1350 best price, and that's only cos it's about the oldest DSLR in their range and everyone knows the 5Ds/Mk II is imminent.

Can't see them doing it personally. DX up to £1000, FX £1500 upwards (when the D700 comes down a bit).
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 17:57:28 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The point is that there is very big price difference between the D5 and the D700 (and actually you don’t have to look very hard to get a D5 for not much more than a grand, seriously).

Nikon are very big on making sure all price points are covered, that’s why they released the (slightly pointless) D60.

I’m willing to bet there’ll be a Nikon FX camera for a grandish in the next year or so.
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 17:58:14 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also it won't be too long before none of them are releasing new DX format cameras full stop.
  • GingerMagician 8 Jul 2008 18:01:19 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The point is that there is very big price difference between the D5 and the D700 (and actually you don’t have to look very hard to get a D5 for not much more than a grand, seriously).

Nikon are very big on making sure all price points are covered, that’s why they released the (slightly pointless) D60.

I’m willing to bet there’ll be a Nikon FX camera for a grandish in the next year or so.
    But the 5D isn't what the D700's really competing against - it'll be the 5Ds/Mk II whenever that lands (soon).

And I'm willing to bet that the D700 & 5Ds are almost identical in price and features.

(apologies for pointing out your Canon D5/5D thing - it just always confuses me)
  • GingerMagician 8 Jul 2008 18:03:27 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Also it won't be too long before none of them are releasing new DX format cameras full stop.
    I doubt wildlife photographers would agree with you on that - a third of the reach of their existing lens collections would be just gone.

I see where you're coming from, I just don't think full frame is the be all and end all unless you're a dedicated landscaper or low-light photographer.
  • kalel 8 Jul 2008 18:08:11 83,795 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I take your point on the 5Ds competing against the D700, but I still think Nikon will do a midrange FX model before too long.

The technology always filters down. In the same way the D2X (I think it was) filtered down to the D200, which in turn went to the D80, I’m pretty sure the same will happen with the D3 to D700 to whatever the next will be.

You’re probably right about full frame not being the be all and end all as well, but I still suspect all DSLRs will go that way before long, if only to flog a whole new bunch of lenses. It’s not like it hasn’t happened before.
  • ayrtonsenna 8 Jul 2008 20:16:14 1,566 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Why do the Canon fanboys always come into the Nikon threads? I never see the Nikon lot in the Canon thread?

Oh wait, they have very, very small penises.

That’s why.
    I have a lot of time for Nikon, but at the time I bought my first DSLR the camera that suited me best was Canon. I'm really excited by the new Nikon stuff, the D3 sensor should be hailed as one of the all time great achievements in photography, and it boggles my mind to think where it could all end up in 5 or 10 years time, bearing in mind what's been done in the past 10 years.

Oh and my penis is fine thanks, though 3 days after the snip, my bollocks are another matter entirely ;)
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 14:45:23
    Had a job this week in an underground car park and had to whack ISO up to 1250 most of the time to get a reasonably accurate exposure at 1/40th which wasn't ideal, especially as everyone was running around shooting each other! It was hard to get sharps unless they were standing still and the noise does bother me although it's not that bad to be honest.

Still, if I keep getting jobs like this I'm going to want to upgrade again. I'm thinking D700 as D3 would be overkill. It's about 2 grand with a grip and I'd like someone with the D3 or a D700 to show me a selection of images in dark settings at higher than 1600. I know there are plenty out there that already show this but I'd prefer to be able to chat with someone on here (bauhaus?) that's got one and can maybe even shoot a few shots of the same scene at differing ISOs so I can be sure it's going to be worth it.

One other thing - the ISOs over 1600 are still called weird things, right? Like H01 H02 H03 etc? What do they actually equate to?
  • askew 6 Aug 2008 14:49:26 11,447 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owen, I have a colleague at work here who recently bought the D700 to complement (hmm) his D300. Shall I ask him to get some low light photos?
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 15:56:45
    That would be cool, I'm especially interested in the ability to get 1/100th and higher out of a low light photo - think dim tungsten bulb in yer average lounge. If anyone else has got recent sharp, high shutter speed action shots in low light on a super-high ISO that would also be cool.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 20:36:11
    I've just realised the D700 would render my 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens absolutely fucking useless to me, which means I'd need to add the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens to my kit, adding another GRAND to the price of upgrade.

Fucking cunting Nikon.

I don't suppose the D300 improves the ISO noise to any degree that would warrant upgrading from my D200, does it? All its other improvements over the D200 I couldn't care less about.
  • Jeepers 6 Aug 2008 20:41:59 13,151 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the resale value of your 17-55mm f/2.8 DX?

I don't think you can slag Nikon for introducing new tech - as I understand it, Nikon are one of the better manufacturers when it comes to the ongoing support of legacy kit.
  • GingerMagician 6 Aug 2008 20:47:26 3,011 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I've just realised the D700 would render my 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens absolutely fucking useless to me, which means I'd need to add the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens to my kit, adding another GRAND to the price of upgrade.

Fucking cunting Nikon.

I don't suppose the D300 improves the ISO noise to any degree that would warrant upgrading from my D200, does it? All its other improvements over the D200 I couldn't care less about.
    The 17-55 would work in DX crop mode on the D700... ;)

From all I've read, the D300 is another level from the D200 in image quality. Plus the new AF system is supposed to be the bollocks.

From an ISO point of view, I think the mid to high range is supposed to much improved (400-1600). When you get to 3200 and 6400 though, I think the noise does become pretty noticeable (800 upwards on the D200).

I'm seriously tempted, but should be buying glass rather than a replacement for the D200 already.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 21:18:39
    Jeepers wrote:

I don't think you can slag Nikon for introducing new tech - as I understand it, Nikon are one of the better manufacturers when it comes to the ongoing support of legacy kit.
    Yeah I;m not really. Just a bit cornered now and letting off steam.
  • Jeepers 6 Aug 2008 21:22:18 13,151 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh.

With a D200, have you got all the glass you want? A couple of grand on a couple of nice lenses would take the sting away, wouldn't it?

;)
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 21:25:47
    Jeepers wrote:
    Heh.

With a D200, have you got all the glass you want? A couple of grand on a couple of nice lenses would take the sting away, wouldn't it?

;)
    Heh, I see your point - retail therapy, yay.

Thing is, I've got everything I need, lens-wise. Isn't a single lens I need. It's all about the image quality in low-light now, for me.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2008 21:27:54
    Jeepers wrote:
    About £500 if I get lucky on eBay. It's in pristine condition.
  • Tourettes 6 Aug 2008 21:29:52 3 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmmm... so you could replace the 17-55 for £500 - does that influence your choice at all?

From what I understand, the d3/d700 is an enormous improvement in low-light situations. Mebbe you should bite the bullet and go for it?

If nothing else, it'd be tax-deductible, which would probably gain you back the few hundred quid you lost in lenses. And I'll give you a derisory offer for the old lens :)
  • Page

of 7 First / Last