Crysis Warhead Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• StixxUK 19 Oct 2008 17:06:09 7,232 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not on maximum - just on what it told me to go for which it called "gamer" settings.

The one higher is "enthusiast".

I think graphics have pretty much lost the power to impress me with technical prowess now, it's got to be art direction.
  • silentbob 19 Oct 2008 17:24:00 28,950 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For those pissed off with texture pop-in, try turning texture streaming off. Google the settings (I'm at work and can't be arsed). Should help things immeasurably.

It's a glorious looking game, the frozen battleship section was just mind blowingly gorgeous.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• ChthonicEcho 19 Oct 2008 17:24:14 410 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just started playing this, against my better judgement.

And, I have to say, I'm going to fire my 'better' judgement first thing in the morning. Crysis Warhead is marginally better, even if the AI is still thick, and since it isn't compensated with things like scripted events (to which the AI could react in a unique manner that might require a player to think unconventionally), the game again becomes boring long before it ends.

Yeah, you could say I lack creativity to play sandbox games. But would it be a crime to put in some stimuli in there, something to light up the spark of creativity? Besides, it would liven up the game.
  • silentbob 19 Oct 2008 17:25:30 28,950 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Should 40+fps on a Core2Extreme with a single 4870 card, on enthusiast with 4XAA in DX10 mode 1680x1050 be possible?
    Probably not no.

• silentbob 19 Oct 2008 17:27:29 28,950 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disc wrote:
    I heard this was a disappointment compared to the original Crysis where they break the balance.
    I'd say it was different, no worse or better. I personally loved the open nature of Crysis. However, they have fixed the nigh-on indestructable nature of the grunt NPC enemies. It's a more satisfying shooter for that alone.

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2008 10:58:09 77,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished this recently and thought it was short as hell.

The ending was most annoying: Oh, it's the end... Oh wait, I'm going to get captured again and lose this sweet gun... Oh no, it's the end... Oh wait there might be more.. Oh no, this is dragging on too long to be a cut scene... Etc.

Wank.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 20 Oct 2008 10:59:43 77,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Should 40+fps on a Core2Extreme with a single 4870 card, on enthusiast with 4XAA in DX10 mode 1680x1050 be possible?
    Probably not no.
    Not far off. I was getting between 30 and 40 with similar settings/hardware, only during the last scenes did it dip a bit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• UncleLou Moderator 20 Oct 2008 11:07:07 35,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CoD 4 was a very nice looking game, but this is really in a different league. No complaints about the art direction, either - the areas are designed gorgeously.

I think it's a blast, just finished the train section last night. It's much more a linear action-romp than Crysis was, but it does it really, really well.

My main complaint is the same I had in Crysis - it's too easy, and I am already playing on Delta. The AI does some really, really clever stuff if you give them some time (and don't snipe them from afar with a silencer, they still haven't fixed this), but they keel over a bit too easily.
  • samk 20 Oct 2008 13:30:48 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else have mental framerate problems in the snow sections? I'm using a custom autoexec.cfg and it looks the absolute business, generally getting around 40-50 FPS in the green jungle bits. But with the same settings in the snow sections I can count on one hand the FPS it's getting, it really is that bad.

I find the default setups have too much ambient light and a nasty speckly tree canopy but gave them a go anyway, but again the snow sections run appallingly.

StixxUK: "I don't really see what all the fuss is about. CoD 4 on the 360 looks more realistic."

There are loads of settings to mess around with in Crysis which can drastically change how it looks. Originally I myself also thought that Crysis didn't really look appreciably better than CoD4 and a few other games, but then I tried out a few custom autoexec.cfg files some folk had posted to the internet, further tailored one I liked and imo it really does give other shooters a good kicking in the looks department.
  • theCardinal 20 Oct 2008 20:53:43 40 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played through this yesterday. I really enjoyed it, having not played the original beyond the demo. The suit powers are a lot of fun to play around with.

Have to disagree with the EG review's point that there is a good emotional scene in the game. To me the scene seemed totally out of place and out of character. In general, the story was an awful waste of time, but it didn't really detract much from the game, as story wasn't what I got the game for. Everything else about the game was really great, even the length, which while short, I found to be quite good. I like a game I can get through in a couple of sittings.
  • gallow 26 Oct 2008 23:26:40 480 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just completed this and I think its the best FPS I have played this year. Now its time for Far Cry 2.
  • matrim83 2 Nov 2008 19:35:18 5,587 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just got this and its a crashathon.

Finished level 1 and its crashed 4 times by now. Updated drivers to the latest from Nvidia (8800GTS) and still same. Using Vista BTW.

Has this happened to anyone else. Google search seems to throw up no concrete answers.

Valar morghulis.

• matrim83 2 Nov 2008 19:35:57 5,587 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

Valar morghulis.

• UncleLou Moderator 2 Nov 2008 20:30:08 35,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hm, no. I've got Vista (32) and an 8800 GTS, too. I don't remember it crashing at all.

Try completely removing your driver with drivercleaner before reinstalling them, it might help.
  • DodgyPast 2 Nov 2008 22:03:27 8,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vista x64 and an 8800GTS ( 320 Mb ) and it wasn't any problems for me.
  • matrim83 2 Nov 2008 22:09:25 5,587 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did reinstall the drivers. Even tried an older version.

It seems a bit more stable at mainstream (although it still crashed on that as well). At least its save anywhere so its not that frustrating.

One thing I didnt know about the DRM was that you dont need the disc to play the game. Thats nice and at aleast it makes the DRM slightly more bearable.

Valar morghulis.

• matrim83 3 Nov 2008 11:30:01 5,587 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy hell the snow level is hard on the GPU. I had to whack everything down to minimum to get a playable framerate.

It still looks stunning.

BTW the aliens are a lot more fun to fight in this one so they got that right.

Valar morghulis.

• samk 3 Nov 2008 13:27:04 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:
    Holy hell the snow level is hard on the GPU. I had to whack everything down to minimum to get a playable framerate.

Yep that's what I found too.

Were the devs just developing each level in isolation, or what? Didn't someone realise during development that the snow levels run considerably worse than the rest of the game and require the user to faff around changing settings? A bit stupid imo.

I enjoyed the game otherwise though.
  • FixedInfinity 9 Dec 2008 21:38:15 1,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The pop in really is bad on this isn't it?
    I'm getting it on objects right in front of me.

I've also found that for some reason the game looks better on Gamer than Enthusiast for me.
    Think it's something to do with the over the top use of that grain effect maybe...
  • Darren 10 Dec 2008 10:00:49 8,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked this game up on the cheap a few weeks back when I found it was a standalone product and that the original Crysis game was still selling for £30+ at Play.com, GAME, etc. The first game has now dropped massively in price to under £18 (about time) so I've now got that as well (finally!) but haven't got around to installing it yet as I'm very low on HDD space on my current AGP system (2 GB and 512 MB RADEON HD 3850 graphics).

I've ordered a new pre-overclocked Core i7-920 PC though with 6 GB of RAM and a 1 GB GeForce GTX 280 card so I've decided I'm going to wait for that before I play both games properly from the start. Admittedly, they do run fine on my current machine on a mix Medium/High settings at 1680x1050 with 2xAA but from what I've seen of them, they deserve better and can look better so I'm happy to wait. I mean I've waited this long to play Crysis, another week or so isn't going to kill me!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• roz123 10 Dec 2008 17:37:34 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didnt enjoy this as much as the original crysis, thought the story was a bit meh and all but wow the graphics are amazing and the action is superb. I dunno why ppl always slating this as needing a super computer, i bought one recently for about £600, e8500 9800gt and 4gb ram. Run and looks superb, i know a better machine would get more out of this but even on an average machine this is miles ahead of anything else.
    Does anyone know of any games that are coming up that will rival this graphically?
  • Darren 11 Dec 2008 11:29:23 8,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well despite being really low on drive space (less than 4 GB free) I went ahead and installed the original Crysis and the v1.20 patch along with the NoDVD hack and the latest Catalyst 8.12 drivers. I was able to play the game fine for over three hours until I quit it at 1680x1050 with 2X AA and everything set to High. The framerate was silky smooth 99.9% of the time with the only the odd bad drop but considering the spec I'm playing on, I was impressed that it ran that well really. I was shocked though to discover with Fraps that the framerate was actually between 15-25 fps as there were no stutters. I even played it with the wireless Xbox 360 controller which works brilliant with it. It made the game feel like the classic FPS that the Xbox 360 will never have, at least not looking *that* good visually, especially as the game was using 700 to 1,000 MB on my system. :o

I mean Halo 3... LOL

I'm going to leave Crysis Warhead for now until I've completed Crysis but I'm loving the game so far even if what I've done is just the same as the demo (I reached the point just before the demo ends last night). Performance seems better than the demo though... I guess that v1.20 patch had a lot of optimisations and stuff.

I'm really looking forward to being able to play both these games on Very High settings at 1680x1050 and with 2X or even 4X AA once I get my new PC. It really can't come soon enough! :D

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Phattso Moderator 11 Dec 2008 11:38:37 13,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You played a PC FPS... with a joypad... by... choice?

This is going to be the most unexpected reason to use the EG ignore function ever!
  • Darren 11 Dec 2008 13:56:50 8,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh... you're one of *those*...?

Seriously though why the hell would someone's controller preference mean you'd have to ignore them? It's makes you come across as a bit... well... you know... pathetic really? "Oh, I like blue", "I don't"... ignored... "Oh I like doughnuts", "I don't"... ignored! Erm... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :?

Having said what you said, I think I've got a far more legitimate and sensible reason for ignoring YOU!!!

I often prefer to use a controller in PC games... the 360 wireless controller is superb for racing games and stuff like Tomb Raider, which is obvious, but I only tried it with Crysis because I was flicking through the manual and saw the 360 controller was mentioned.

And surprisingly the game plays extremely well with it as it did with BioShock and it meant that I could lie on the bed nearby and play the game from there in comfort as I have a 22" screen.

Being a console and PC gamer, it wasn't at all awkward for me to switch to using a controller anyway and in many ways I prefer it to keyboard and mouse controls where possible. It might not be as accurate for FPSs, sure, but I don't play games online so it isn't a big deal. ;)

• Phattso Moderator 11 Dec 2008 14:08:20 13,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I wasn't actually serious. Being unable to spot satire comes across as a bit... well... you know... etc. etc.
  • Darren 11 Dec 2008 16:27:53 8,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well how about making it *clear* that you're were jesting then... you know by adding a winky ;) at the end? It's simple internet etiquette really and one that avoids potential misunderstandings. Why presume that someone who doesn't know you and who is only reading your words knows *exactly* how you were saying it or what tone it is meant to be read in?

(And I'm being serious by the way hence NO winky!!!)

• kalel 11 Dec 2008 16:31:50 86,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you need a winky to know someoneís joking then youíre a bit of a berk really.

;-)
  • Darren 11 Dec 2008 16:50:16 8,702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IMO, one should always endeavour to make one's post(s) as clear as possible and not assume *anything* when all a person can see is words. That's what I do but then I'm thoughtful like that. :)

The first paragraph of Phattso's original post I passed off as sarcastic but the second one wasn't unless you consider telling someone that they're going to be ignored is actually funny? If so, then I'd say I'd say they're weird... :p

... before I put them on Ignore! ;)

• Feanor 11 Dec 2008 16:53:36 14,061 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Using a 360 pad on a PC FPS should be a capital crime. No winks.
  • kalel 11 Dec 2008 16:54:27 86,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My last post was a joke, but in all seriousness, I donít agree winkeys and smileys should ever be necessary. I wonít pretend I donít use them, sometime I do, just to be absolutely sure my joke isnít taken the wrong way, but if Iíd written my post well enough then one wouldnít be necessary. The great letters of Keats and co were hardly strewn with winkeys.

So yeah, if you were offended, the onus is on the poster to be clear and not cause offence, so youíre right itís not your fault, but I disagree that etiquette is to use a winkey.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last