Which country to buy Omega watch from?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Rusta 23 May 2008 16:50:28 163 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    New York? Hong kong? anyone know the best country to purchase Omega watches from? obvouisly dependant on the exchange. I can't find a way of getting a price from Hong Kong.

Cheers
  • Stickman 23 May 2008 16:52:49 29,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Kostabi 23 May 2008 17:02:46 4,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dubai, apparently.

I've never been but I've heard their duty free style shops in the airport are uber-cheap. True or not I don't know.
  • gamingdave 29 May 2008 15:16:20 4,121 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you want a new, or a vinatge Omega?

If your not after a brand new one, then here could be a good start.

Swiss prices for new ones may not be cheaper, but the US maybe, due to the exchange, but then you could be stung on import.

Do you have a model in mind?

/strokes collection of Omegas
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2008 15:17:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    China.

Ornega watch very cheap in china.

• Big-Swiss 29 May 2008 15:20:37 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Switzerland.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........
    that was my part!-))
  • Stickman 29 May 2008 15:29:44 29,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hold on then...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Venkman90 29 May 2008 16:18:44 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got my Seamaster from the US, saved 200 approx about 3 years ago.
  • ruttyboy 29 May 2008 16:21:52 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Always been confused about expensive watches, do they do anything different or is it just a jewellery thing?
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2008 16:24:27 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:
    Always been confused about expensive watches, do they do anything different or is it just a jewellery thing?

They turn you into James Bond / Lewis Hamilton.

• Kostabi 29 May 2008 16:25:17 4,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:

It's purely a jewellery thing as they don't tell the time any better than a cheapo market Casio watch.
  • brokenkey 29 May 2008 16:25:54 6,802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its the only way a man can wear an expensive piece of metal.

(obviously a chav man can wear as much metal as he likes. Thank you Elizabeth Duke.)

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• ruttyboy 29 May 2008 16:26:43 7,949 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:

It's purely a jewellery thing as they don't tell the difference any better than a cheapo market Casio watch.

I meant more, do they have titanium workings or something? Do they never break because they're so finely machined? Beyond about 200 it just seems to be flashing the cash.
  • Kostabi 29 May 2008 16:30:44 4,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:

It's purely a jewellery thing as they don't tell the difference any better than a cheapo market Casio watch.

I meant more, do they have titanium workings or something? Do they never break because they're so finely machined? Beyond about 200 it just seems to be flashing the cash.

It depends on the brand. I don't think Tag watches have anything special inside for example but on the flipside it takes something like 10 months to make a Breitling. So at the higher end of the scale I suppose your paying for the craftsmanship as well as the looks and money waving potential.
  • _Price_ 29 May 2008 16:48:03 3,071 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Imagine going out on the town wearing one of those things, it'd be like holding up a huge 'mug me' sign. Although if you can afford one in the first place I guess you'll also have the money to go to more salubrious (sp?) establishments....

....or have a Walther PPK to hand.
  • gamingdave 29 May 2008 16:55:24 4,121 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ruttyboy wrote:

Well for some people its the look, but for many its the craftmenship (?sp) and heritage.

Id rather have a handmade watch, case carved out of a single block of metal, with handmade parts, and a construction of complex enginering, than a simple electronic chip. Even if the latter is more reliable.

Like buying a quality piece of furniture. You could sit in an Eams chair, or sit in a school hall plastic chair.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 May 2008 17:00:58 4,932 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:

Well for some people its the look, but for many its the craftmenship (?sp) and heritage.

Id rather have a handmade watch, case carved out of a single block of metal, with handmade parts, and a construction of complex enginering, than a simple electronic chip. Even if the latter is more reliable.

Like buying a quality piece of furniture. You could sit in an Eams chair, or sit in a school hall plastic chair.

Not really the best analogy. The Eames chair is actually arguably a better product, a clockwork watch no matter how well engineered can't hope to match the accuracy of a simple quartz watch.
  • presh 29 May 2008 17:08:50 1,221 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    ruttyboy wrote:

Not really the best analogy. The Eames chair is actually arguably a better product, a clockwork watch no matter how well engineered can't hope to match the accuracy of a simple quartz watch.

Yeah, but equally a Robin Reliant will get you from A to B the same as an Aston Martin. It's all about the quality of the experience.

I have an Omega Speedmaster that I got 2nd hand from a watch dealer. I was happy to pay for an expensive watch becuase I think it's a beautiful object and is a classic of its kind. I've had it for 3 years and it doesn't need batteries and it doesn't scream 'mug me'.

It runs about 5 minutes fast a month (self-winding watches often do) but apart from that it's perfect.
  • gamingdave 29 May 2008 17:11:22 4,121 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well true, but I was (trying) to use the example that furniture comes in massive price ranges, and yet comfort is not always relative.

OK so really bad example, as the 2 chairs I mentioned are worlds apart in the comfort (and price) stakes.

Generally with products for me its function over form, but once the function is up to a satisfactory level (and for me a watch running within 10 seconds a day is fine) then form really does come into it.

The same with furniture, I've sat in Philip Starck chairs that look the nuts, but are actually uncomfortable so for me are instant fail. I've got an old sofa, that doesnt look much, but is soooo comfortable its a stayer. If when aquring it I could have bought a better (in my eyes) looking one, with the same comfort, I would have.
  • presh 29 May 2008 17:19:00 1,221 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah, that's really true - good design means form AND function
  • mattigan 11 Nov 2012 11:36:12 1,429 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump. Thinking of picking up a Seamaster or Speedmaster, whats the position now. Cheaper in the UK than abroad?

And can anyone recomend a reputable dealer, am also considering used/secondhand options?

ta.
  • BillMurray 11 Nov 2012 11:39:44 7,235 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    50's Seamaster with a black face is pretty much my dream watch. I honestly wouldn't know where to get one though. I've only ever browsed on eBay before.
  • Dante_Cubit 11 Nov 2012 13:47:54 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Luxury automatic watches are the pretty much the definition of luxury. By and large you pay vastly more money for something that is inferior at it token main purpose (i.e telling the time) than a cheap quartz. Expensive thermo-comped quartz are superior in function but account for a vanishingly small proportion of sales.

Some people appreciate the extraordinary workmanship or design of in-house movements but most people buy "fancy" ones for status (see 99% of Tag owners). Omega produce very nice designs that have aged well but are generally bought by people who want not to be seen as Rolex owners or who like James Bond.

Omega are being repositioned in the market at the Rolex level by Swiss watch and so will have more boutique distribution than standard jewellers. However, there isn't a shop in the land that won't give you a 10-20% if you haggle. The mark-up is 50% at their end.

For what it is worth, I like German automatics and would recommend checking out the slightly lesser known Nomos, Stowa, Sinn and Tutima amongst others...

Edited by Dante_Cubit at 13:48:25 11-11-2012
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 14:09:43
    Want this.
  • Dante_Cubit 11 Nov 2012 14:58:12 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BillMurray

Watchuseek is a superb forum and you could probably track one down through there. Great community.
  • Dante_Cubit 11 Nov 2012 15:02:46 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If people want to dabble in slightly nicer watches than Argos can furnish you with, Christopher Ward produce some excellent stuff at modest prices. They have some nice original designs but several "tributes" to Rolex, Bell & Ross etc. Swiss made, recognised movements and 80-90% of the luxury build quality.
  • SuperBas 12 Nov 2012 08:49:13 1,437 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last year I skipped going on vacation in favour of buying a Speedmaster Professional at the jeweller my mother works at. I got it for the cost price. I'm still happy with my purchase. Should I ever feel the need to buy another watch again, it will probably be a Planet Ocean.

A few years before that I bought a Fortis Pilot. Fortis is the brand that cosmonauts use, simular to how astronauts used to wear Omega. Both watches increase in price every year, so when I'm old both will cost a ton of money and I'll have something nice for the family to inherit. :D

I'm no help at all, I just love my watches.

Edited by SuperBas at 08:51:34 12-11-2012
  • Load_2.0 12 Nov 2012 09:23:11 18,193 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Omega, like most of the similair brands, have a fairly universal pricing strategy, it is unlikely you will find a sale or a huge difference in price, unless the watch has been returned to the store.

Also be wary buying online or from overseas, even if you know the watch and your wrist measurements until you see a watch on your own wrist you cannot judge how it will look. The strap and the depth of the watch can really effect how it wears compared to still shots. Not only that but would you really want to spend a couple of grand on a watch that neither you nor I could tell from a good fake? (without pulling it apart)

Personally I love speedmasters I think they are beautiful watches, a lot of them have a case diameter of 40mm, which is slightly too small for me.

After saying all that, there is a beautiful speedmaster on sale that I plan to buy. Though I will need to visit the store in person. I would tell you where but you might buy the same watch and that just wouldn't do!
  • Load_2.0 12 Nov 2012 09:33:05 18,193 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Something to keep in mind about Omega, although they have made some spectacular watches and have precision movement (Omega caliber 1120 is equal or superior to a rolex pre-Parachrom Bleu hairspring version of the 3135)

They are owned by the Swatch Group so even though you will be wearing a lovely watch it will be the older brother of one of these bad boys!

• gamingdave 12 Nov 2012 18:34:46 4,121 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BillMurray Do you know which model you are after? May be able to help you track one down at a fair price.

@mattigan What's your budget, and would you consider other makes?

For second hand you could try these links, not dealt with either but come well regarded:

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk
    http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/

This site is great at aggregating sales posts from various watch forums:

http://www.watchrecon.com/

Not sure what the prices are comparatively across Europe but I imagine pretty similar as Omega are pushing more into their own boutique stores and bumping up prices across the board. This has had a slight knock-on effect into the second hand prices too, though there has also been some slowdown their generally. As Dante_Cubit said though, %20 discount could be negotiated.

I wouldn't recommend joining any watch forums though, it's a slippery slope. 5 years ago I had 1 watch, today there are 21 in the box.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous