Saints Row 2 Official Thread

• Page

of 46 First / Last

Previous
  • convercide 20 Apr 2008 09:45:26 6,163 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, I know people are getting psyched about GTA IV right now but I thought I'd make the thread for this anyway. It seems Volition have decided to bring the Ultor Corporation into the mix. These are the same guys who you worked for in Red Faction. Good to see them tying stuff vaguely together.

It's 2 minutes of gameplay footage there and isn't looking too shabby. When we've all exhausted GTA IV, might be worthwhile to look into it.

The weapons look over the top and they've really improved the range of vehicles.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• sanctusmortis 20 Apr 2008 14:42:08 9,707 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /Watches tumbleweed

Seriously though, I am looking forwards to this.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Apr 2008 15:19:05 15,239 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First game was excellent, so many good ideas on the gta formula. Looking forward to 2

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Derblington 20 Apr 2008 15:39:57 22,129 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was looking forward to this until I saw that trailer, now I'm left kinda cold. It looks like Saints Row 1.5 rather a fully fledged sequel and I can see it sinking with GTAIV to go up against.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2008 19:11:39
    might try this, rather than overhyped GTA4. it might be easier to get hold of than GTA anyways.
  • Derblington 20 Apr 2008 19:18:03 22,129 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not out till Sepember.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2008 19:25:17
    i'll be a tad busy playing NG2.

oh, didn't know it was released that much after GTA. anyways, i've always baught GTA second hand, so i'll wait until its 20-25 spondoolies.
  • SomaticSense 20 Apr 2008 21:16:31 8,989 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure if anyone had already noticed (or even cared...), but GTA has been mentioned 8 times (9 now...) already in this thread. Only 2 posts haven't actually mentioned it.

Not a good sign for the SR devs...
  • Derblington 20 Apr 2008 21:30:57 22,129 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Not sure if anyone had already noticed (or even cared...), but GTA has been mentioned 8 times (9 now...) already in this thread. Only 2 posts haven't actually mentioned it.

This was my point, I didn't just bing it randomly. Saints Row was great at the time and it improved on or added things that GTA needed. Watch any GTAIV trailer and then that SR2 trailer and you can see that R* are miles ahead in terms of, well, everything. I will get SR2 but I don't think enough people are going to care about it this year, SR was released at a time when they filled the gap in the market for this type of game.
  • convercide 20 Apr 2008 21:35:35 6,163 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm thinking GTA has gone the slightly more realistic route this time but Saints Row has gone for the outrageous one. I'll be getting both anyway.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Benno 20 Apr 2008 21:36:50 10,229 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:

This was my point, I didn't just bing it randomly. Saints Row was great at the time and it improved on or added things that GTA needed. Watch any GTAIV trailer and then that SR2 trailer and you can see that R* are miles ahead in terms of, well, everything. I will get SR2 but I don't think enough people are going to care about it this year, SR was released at a time when they filled the gap in the market for this type of game.

Spot on.
  • SomaticSense 20 Apr 2008 21:46:53 8,989 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched the trailer, and it looks utter rubbish.

Not played GTAIV yet (obviously, I'm not Piro you know.... *ahem*...), but assuming that GTA has progressed at all from what came previously, then it'll absolutely cream this pile of shite.
  • SomaticSense 20 Apr 2008 21:53:27 8,989 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto IV.
  • steoc4 20 Apr 2008 21:55:16 1,665 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    Lol, 12 mentions of GTA already

This forum is fucking fail

Well it's not like Saints Row is just similar to it, it's practically a carbon copy in every area.

If we were talking about, say, Crackdown or Prototype there'd be the odd comparison here and there, but it's just impossible to talk about Saint's Row without the GTA comparisons.

For what it's worth I liked the original game. Little things like mission restarts, how the garage worked, and grouping up with gang members were all nice improvements over GTA.

But it failed horribly when it came to the humour and creating a living city, which is where GTA really wins out. On top of that GTA has far better car handling and just feels better overall.

So assuming GTA IV really is the improvement it looks like over the previous games, it'll be in a different class to Saints Row 2, which I'll probably still pick up at some stage.
  • Deleted user 29 May 2008 14:20:27
    cant wait for october. :)
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2008 14:29:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Co-op.

There's co-op being shoehorned into it.

• Deleted user 29 May 2008 14:31:45
    after GTA4 online, SR 2 looks more apealing. =p
  • Benno 29 May 2008 14:38:45 10,229 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a feeling I will have more fun with this game than the latest GTA.
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2008 14:40:14 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Judging by the last few comments I bet THQ / Volition are really kicking themselves for bottling their release date now.
  • Deleted user 29 May 2008 14:42:11
    not really, as it gives them breathing space to fix more bugs and stuff. (hopefully)
  • HardToast 29 May 2008 16:27:08 383 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think there will be more 'fun' and things to do in SR2 than in GTA4, can't wait.

Hopfully Co-Op will be a blast.
  • MangoBen 30 May 2008 14:56:53 49 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really looking forward to this. Especially looking forward to what extra side missions they might put into this one(Insurance Fraud ftw).
  • JaysonG 31 May 2008 01:52:38 828 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GTA IV was a little too realistic, causing it to be mundane at times and lacked on the customisation side of things which it sacrificed for it's admittedly quality narrative.

If SR2 goes the other way with a looser story and more of a San Andreas feel to it they'll be room for both.

Until Rockstar put all the stuff they removed back in and still have a brilliant story and fine tune the awesome RAGE (game engine).
  • Psychotext 5 Jun 2008 02:02:50 54,822 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SR2 vs GTA IV Activities:
    http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/882/882586/vids_1.html

lol
  • Inquisitor Moderator 5 Jun 2008 02:14:37 14,559 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    SR2 vs GTA IV Activities:
    http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/882/882586/vids_1.html

lol

Seems much more humble towards the end 'Now we know you're doing all that other stuff right now, but when you're done we'll be right here'.

Anyway, looks really good fun, it's a different game to GTA now though, really is more of a sandbox, GTA 4 isn't really a sandbox game, there isn't really much to mess about with in the world to be honest.
  • LetsGo 5 Jun 2008 09:49:19 5,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That video was funny :)
  • pjmaybe 5 Jun 2008 10:28:31 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Up till I saw that trailer - http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index/1516

I thought this game was going to have an incredibly hard time at retail. Now I've completely changed my mind. WANNNNNT!

• corstick 5 Jun 2008 12:39:40 3,263 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While GTA4 is overall a superb game, the activities and side missions are mostly a joke. So much fun stuff was cut out from previous versions and what remained was ridiculously watered down (taxi missions... seriously, what the fuck?).

Conversely, in Saints Row most of the fun was provided by the activities. Almost all of which were excellent. The perfect comparison is both games drug dealing minigames - GTA4's is a ponderous drive sometimes ending with a minor shoot out. While SR sees you riding shotgun, fending off hordes of police and rival gangs with an arsenal of rifles, grenades and rpgs at your disposal.
  • Page

of 46 First / Last

Previous