Rate the last gig you went to see out of 10! Page 30

• Page

of 30 First / Last

Next
  • dominalien 29 Oct 2017 21:00:21 8,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amaranthe on Friday.

Excellent. The girl has a tendency to be a little off at the beginning of songs, but she finds her footing soon enough. The other band members are spot on. Very nice of (some) them to come out after the show and have a chat and photos with fans, shows they're not spoilt by fame yet. I don't really know how much fame they have, they were playing in a fairly small club, so I'm guessing they're no Ed Sheeran. Would see again, preferably tomorrow.

9/10
  • Technoishmatt 29 Oct 2017 21:34:39 2,134 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phoenix - what a great live show!!!! Interesting set design, cool crossovers and medleys. Terrible warmup act.

Recommended.
  • ModoX 29 Oct 2017 21:39:56 2,923 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had no idea this thread was here, I could've been annoying people with hip hop concerts for ages! Anyways, we went to see Banks this week in Manchester, solid 8/10. We saw her support The Weeknd a couple of years ago and she has really stepped her performance game up.
  • Dougs 3 Nov 2017 12:25:18 83,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Ah, so one of those where they are either all bought by bots/touts or through pre-sale. How disappointing.
    Woot, they added extra dates in Portsmouth, managed to get 2. Hurrah!
  • samharper 3 Nov 2017 12:36:18 905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went to two last week.

Metallica - SSE Hydro, Glasgow 9/10

Played for 2+ hours and a more interesting set list than I was expecting, Harvester of Sorrow and Spit out the Bone were the highlights. In the round stage was cool, as were the descending TV screens and the light show. Crowd was nuts, and the sound was fantastic.

Bury Tomorrow - The Mash House, Edinburgh 9/10

Tiny venue filled to capacity. Crowd was absolutely mental. Opening act Loathe sounded fantastic. Aptly called the "Stage Invasion" tour because almost everybody ended up on the stage by the end of the night. Frontman really knows how to get a crowd going. Would have rated higher if I knew more of their songs, but as it was I really enjoyed it. Perfect performances, mixed really well.
  • Zomoniac 3 Nov 2017 19:25:08 9,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Suzanne Vega - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
    Played Solitude Standing and 99.9 in full, which are two of my favourite albums. Great performance, marred only by the venue being the worst to watch rock music in I’ve ever come across. I’ve been there a few times now and every time the music hs suffered massively because the venue was designed as a symphony hall, which I’m sure it’s great as, but when it’s built to provide huge amounts of echo for orchestral music anything amplified just sounds like a wash of echo.

8/10

Zara Larsson, Leeds O2
    Because my wife wanted to see her. Decent enough performance as that kind of thing goes, I was particularly curious by the fact that it was half backing track and half live band, and the way the musicians kept everything feeling dynamic and energetic despite playing to sequencers was very impressive. Another terrible venue, for very different reasons, but this one was mainly marred by 98% of the crowd being student girls who spent the entire gig with phones held above their heads. I think we were the only ones trying to see the stage.

6/10
  • JoeBlade 4 Nov 2017 06:19:54 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    Metallica - SSE Hydro, Glasgow 9/10

Played for 2+ hours and a more interesting set list than I was expecting, Harvester of Sorrow and Spit out the Bone were the highlights. In the round stage was cool, as were the descending TV screens and the light show. Crowd was nuts, and the sound was fantastic.
    Saw them last night and they've definitely still got it. An energetic, long but varied set; they knew all too well which albums to play and which to avoid (I'm looking at you, Saint Anger) accompanied by visual effects that were relatively simple yet impressive. First time I've seen them indoors - seven or so at festivals - and it was well worth it.

They've also learned to steer clear of the 'Napster is the devil incarnate' and similar political bollocks. They just stick to the music, which is what they're best at.
  • JoeBlade 5 Nov 2017 00:33:18 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The War on Drugs

That was damned excellent. I enjoyed their range, some songs reminded me of Springsteen, at other times I thought they were going to break out in a bit of Dire Straits (which they didn't) Some songs reminded me of the good times, some songs reminded me of the best times.

Um, anyway, it was down to earth but technically pretty solid. The lighting effects were simple yet very effective. Just a straight up great show.

Would recommend!
  • Trafford 6 Nov 2017 00:09:15 7,974 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, looking forward to seeing War on Drugs again next week. Need to get my headband back from the drycleaners...

Tonight I saw Father John Misty at Manchester Apollo. He's a helluva performer, solid 2 hour set and captivating to watch.
    Busy stage as well with about a dozen mixed string and brass players rounding out the lush sounds.
  • RichDC 14 Nov 2017 23:37:28 7,569 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Helloween: Pumpkins United

10/10

I've seen Helloween before and been disappointed but this was an amazing experience. Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen rejoin Helloween to play a fantastic 3 hour set featuring all the greats. Genuinely one of the best gigs I've been to.
  • SuperSoupy 15 Nov 2017 10:12:12 40 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Cadillac Three

3/5

Who doesn't love a show of southern rock songs about drinking, partying, love and...southern stuff?

A decent selection of songs except that an understandable push of their latest album material resulted in a setlist of overly 'samey' songs. And for a band with a lot of fast-paced tunes, there were way too many slower tunes here, even their more uptempo tunes were intentionally slowed down to boring effect.

The band themselves also seemed to be going through the motions (replace X-lyric with X-city of show, that old chesnut). It was certainly better than half-hearted, but not quite widely crowd-pleasing (judging by the relatively low numbers of hands-in-air clapping). The band can do better with their stage presence. They have done better before.

That said, there's an undeniable quality of greatness to their live renditions of songs like 'White Lightning', 'The South' and 'Days Of Gold' no matter the vibe of the show. And despite a somewhat downplayed set, the instruments and vocals performing them were on top form.
  • Vortex808 15 Nov 2017 10:28:24 11,736 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd forgotten about this thread. Been to a few of late:

Wild Beasts- I was encouraged to go by a mate and enjoyed it. A really low turnout though and they have since apparently split.

Shellac- I expected them to be more obtuse with their almost anti-rock tunes, but they were much more enjoyable than I expected and i'd certainly go to see them again.

Metallica- quite disappointing to be honest. I had decided to go and see them to tick a box teenage me had missed. I appear to have moved on significantly from then, this tour was quite heavy on their more recent material and the new stuff is very meh and goes on and on too much for my liking. I liked the old stuff much more. 6/10 at best tbh.

Edited by Vortex808 at 10:29:04 15-11-2017
  • JoeBlade 18 Nov 2017 17:54:11 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Queens of the Stone Age - 2 days ago actually, I was too knackered to write about it any earlier

The sound was a bit off at times and I would have to judge Josh's leg separately (he was limping throughout) but overall it was a pretty great show, for someone who likes QotSA.

One thing I found odd was that the album they played most songs off was their previous one, which is neither their most popular one nor, well, the latest. I don't mind, I enjoy Like Clockwork but still, a bit strange.
    Otherwise it was an enjoyable mix of their entire repertoire, popular songs as well as stuff that just works well live. Ode to Clarissa was a standout one, the eclectic guitar play is a real joy during a concert.
  • JoeBlade 23 Nov 2017 01:04:10 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gorillaz

First time for me although I had seen Blur as well as Damon Albarn solo before.
    He definitely still knows his trade, musically there wasn't much to critique. There was some, e.g. the rap in Clint Eastwood not being live despite having several quite proficient rappers on stage during the rest of the set, that was a weird choice.

My main gripe is that the virtual band aspect was almost non existent, anyone not familiar with Gorillaz would't have known that's what they are supposed to be based on the show IMO.
    Sure, they're still a band first and foremost but it's also the one trait that sets them apart from other bands.

But regardless, I had a great time overall, would recommend.
  • JoeBlade 27 Nov 2017 00:23:31 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This thread is becoming a bit of a monologue/inane ramblings of a mad man.

Either way, Depeche Mode

Third or fourth time I've seen them and while I wasn't blown away previously this was outright amazing.
    Couple of new songs I mostly wasn't familiar with and a whole lot of classics mixed in. A fantastic crescendo spiraling towards the big hits off their arguably best album (Violator) with plenty of sidesteps towards both newer and older material.

I personally would have liked to have heard some of their groundbreaking songs (Everything Counts was about it, no Master and Servant or Just Can't Get Enough sadly) but it was a stellar set nonetheless.
    Add to that magnificent execution, fantastic lights and backdrops, excellent sound and this was easily the best concert of the year for me and one of my favorites ever. That's coming from someone who has literally seen thousands.

Sublime, go see them if you get the chance.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2017 00:33:10 20,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    This thread is becoming a bit of a monologue/inane ramblings of a mad man.

Either way, Depeche Mode

Third or fourth time I've seen them and while I wasn't blown away previously this was outright amazing.
    Couple of new songs I mostly wasn't familiar with and a whole lot of classics mixed in. A fantastic crescendo spiraling towards the big hits off their arguably best album (Violator) with plenty of sidesteps towards both newer and older material.

I personally would have liked to have heard some of their groundbreaking songs (Everything Counts was about it, no Master and Servant or Just Can't Get Enough sadly) but it was a stellar set nonetheless.
    Add to that magnificent execution, fantastic lights and backdrops, excellent sound and this was easily the best concert of the year for me and one of my favorites ever. That's coming from someone who has literally seen thousands.

Sublime, go see them if you get the chance.
    Such a shame they gradually went to shit after SOFAD, the 4 album period of BC to SOFAD was cracking though.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.