The World's End - new Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright film Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • Duffking 24 Jul 2013 23:29:40 7,559 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That was very different to the other two. Still very silly, but also felt a bit more serious in the end as well? Great stuff anyway.
  • johnson81 24 Jul 2013 23:48:15 391 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully going to see this at the weekend but I wish they hadn't released trailers showing robots. I think it would've been much better it the robot's were a surprise.
  • TheSaint 25 Jul 2013 00:21:21 14,829 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wasn't expecting much after hearing some of the reviews but I really enjoyed it. Bit weird seeing a few of the local towns all over the big screen.
  • YenRug 25 Jul 2013 00:22:43 2,438 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @johnson81 It would have been interesting to see the film without having seen the trailers, but I didn't think it detracted from the film knowing about it beforehand, the way they're introduced doesn't really give you a chance to think about it all that much. At the same time, if they hadn't included footage of them in the trailers, it would have been a bit of a push coming up with something that would have been compelling enough to get people into the cinema.
  • binster 25 Jul 2013 01:24:26 542 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seen it twice now. Better and better.
  • Iain815 25 Jul 2013 04:21:16 441 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be honest, while I thought The World's End was good, it was nowhere in the same league as Shaun of The Dead or Hot Fuzz.

Edited by Iain815 at 04:26:23 25-07-2013
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Aug 2013 01:51:05 2,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just been to see this. I enjoyed it, but I felt the ending was really weird. Not sure if I liked the ending at all.
  • Raiko101 3 Aug 2013 02:52:04 6,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought it was a good film. I'd happily watch it again sometime. I didn't think it was on par with the first two, though. Hot Fuzz remains my favourite of the bunch.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jimnastics 3 Aug 2013 08:34:33 312 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was ok, but I concur with others, absolutely nowhere near the quality of the first two. I'd give it 6/10 if I was being honest, 7/10 if I was feeling generous.

One thing which quickly became apparent was that the whole robots thing had nothing like the impact of a) zombies or b) gruesome murders. The over-the-top comedy gore of the first two was such a big part of the films, but when you literally replace humans with robots and it's just non-beings with blue liquid, it completely loses everything.
  • TarickStonefire 3 Aug 2013 11:20:42 3,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought Hot Fuzz was a pale reskinning of Shaun, personally, and it's not a film I care if I ever see again whereas Shaun is easily in my top 5 films of all time, so to hear from almost everyone that this isn't as good as Hot Fuzz is pretty damning.

I think the work of Pegg and Wright was never better than when they were struggling newcomers, bursting with ideas. Then they used them all up on Spaced and Shaun, and it's been downhill ever since.

I'll never forget just how disappointed I was at the snoozeathon that was Wright's film with Michael Cera about those boyfriends, Pilgrim something. Good lord that was boring.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• RichieTenenbaum 3 Aug 2013 12:25:04 2,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked Scott Pilgrim. Although it's based on a comic, so you can't really blame Wright.

I actually think that until the last 15 mins TWE is better than Hot Fuzz. It's funny and the fight choreography great.

It just feels like it needs another draft. A better ending and a macguffin to quickly explain why they need to keep on the crawl.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Aug 2013 13:13:11 1,779 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought The world end's was terrible, completely agree it really needed "another draft. A better ending and a macguffin to quickly explain why they need to keep on the crawl."

heard others on other forums defending Gary King's character, he was very unsympathetic character, only reason you could have to be a bit sympathetic is taken away. SotD is one of fav films of all times and Hot fuzz is good although not as good as the last film)

Someone I use to work with is major "cornetto trilogy" fanboy as was defending it when he had never seen it" says it all really
  • Gambit1977 4 Aug 2013 13:29:14 10,384 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    It was ok, but I concur with others, absolutely nowhere near the quality of the first two. I'd give it 6/10 if I was being honest, 7/10 if I was feeling generous.

One thing which quickly became apparent was that the whole robots thing had nothing like the impact of a) zombies or b) gruesome murders. The over-the-top comedy gore of the first two was such a big part of the films, but when you literally replace humans with robots and it's just non-beings with blue liquid, it completely loses everything.

Similar feelings from me. If anything, it felt like they came up with a title then desperately tried to find a story that fit their style. The jokes were hilarious, laugh out loud, but the story, characters and film as a whole was barely servieable to me.
  • ProfessorLesser 4 Aug 2013 13:34:56 19,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you sure the jokes were hilarious? How many laughs would you say were actually due to jokes, and not just swearing, Nick Frost being a lad, and amusing casting choices (Mark Heap, Pierce Brosnan)?

Think back to Shaun and even Hott Fuzz - full of actual jokes, puns, clever comic timing. The World's End - Double-you tee eff.

I'm not saying it wasn't funny. But I think it'll only prove funny once.
  • Rusty_M 4 Aug 2013 15:28:57 4,929 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just saw this last night. The fight scenes were fantastic and I enjoyed the film overall, but I don't think it's quite as good as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz overall. I'm still going to get it when it comes out on Blu Ray/DVD.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• binster 27 Aug 2013 21:40:50 542 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tell you what, I really wish they had the cinematic version of "20 Seconds To Comply" (with the orchestration and that) on the soundtrack CD. That bit was awesome.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Aug 2013 22:47:18 3,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ProfessorLesser
    'm not saying it wasn't funny. But I think it'll only prove funny once.
    That's my take on Hot Fuzz actually...

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next