Recently-abandoned games Page 99

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 31 May 2013 22:51:07 11,267 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I think seeing it through to end of Chapter 1 is a fair shout - I might flip through the guide book and won't be able to get near it until Sunday night at least, so a break from it.

Make sure to upgrade your Possession in Bioshock and possess those turrets!
    Oh, thanks for that tip.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Raiko101 1 Jun 2013 18:57:02 6,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trine 2

I give up. This has to be one of the worst platformers i've ever played. The controls are awful. Truly awful. Way too floaty and impresice. The wizard can also be too fiddly. Especially when it comes to moving objects around.

I know platforming is not the main focus of the game, but it makes for an unpleasant experience. To top it off, you can exploit most of the puzzles in the game, whilst others have blocks that disapear through the floor or pipes that start spazzing out as if they have become possessed.

Even more annoying, I have been playing this in co-op. Co-op is clearly an after-though as you have to switch characters and repeat steps in order to progress. It's tiresome.

A shame really as the game looks stunning as is well presented.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• andytheadequate 1 Jun 2013 19:27:50 8,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Trine 2

I give up. This has to be one of the worst platformers i've ever played. The controls are awful. Truly awful. Way too floaty and impresice. The wizard can also be too fiddly. Especially when it comes to moving objects around.

I know platforming is not the main focus of the game, but it makes for an unpleasant experience. To top it off, you can exploit most of the puzzles in the game, whilst others have blocks that disapear through the floor or pipes that start spazzing out as if they have become possessed.

Even more annoying, I have been playing this in co-op. Co-op is clearly an after-though as you have to switch characters and repeat steps in order to progress. It's tiresome.

A shame really as the game looks stunning as is well presented.
    I couldn't possibly agree more, such a poor game. I even played it 3 player co op and it was still rubbish. I don't understand why it received such positive reviews
  • javvyman 6 Jun 2013 13:23:47 709 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metro : Last Light

Right, so gave this a go in spite of the average reviews.
    Always willing to give FPS games a whirl, especially ones with supposedly big production values.

The amount of detail that has gone into the presentation is fantastic, rivalled only by the bioshock series. Problem is, it's all ruined by the insistence on shitty dialogue. Everywhere I went there was someone yapping on about how miserable everything was, they just do.not.shup.up!
    Kills the atmosphere.

The main character needs to STFU too, going on with his thick russian accent during the frequent loading screens. I honestly would have preferred actual russian with subtitles.

Also, it's buggy as hell! I walked into a room, and every single soldier bar the armored ones were standing around like statues, saying shit like "what's that noise!.. i'd better check it out" as I repeatedly stabbed them in the face.

Also stealth, WTF were they thinking with the stealth mechanics! I can walked down the side of 4 armored soldiers in what was no doubt supposed to be some big set-piece moment, literally grazing their knees. WORST AI EVER!
  • lordofdeadside 6 Jun 2013 13:32:02 1,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

It just feels so constricting, it's always taking your gadgets away (or even crippling them) or forcing you into all guns blazing or no kills sections for no reason at all. The drone for example, is brilliant, but often not available for no reason at all, even it's range varies wildly whenever the game devs want. Erodes any feeling that you are actually playing.

Coupled with team mates who run ahead and just start firefights it turns into a clunky action game rather than anything tactical. Euurgh.
  • Aretak 6 Jun 2013 13:44:26 10,354 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm just never going to like Dragon's Dogma, as much as I want to. The combat in particular just does absolutely nothing for me. It's just such an unrefined clusterfuck compared to the Souls games for example. I know it's not trying to exhibit that sort of methodical style, but that doesn't make me like it any more. Beyond that, I'm just not a fan of the general structure of the game, the world is pretty lifeless and dull and there's not much of a story to keep me interested (again, by design I know).

All pretty much the exact same reasons that I didn't get on with Skyrim actually. And Oblivion. And Two Worlds II. Time to accept this sort of thing's just not for me in general I guess.
  • Reacher 7 Jun 2013 17:44:23 833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Aretak You're a man after my own heart. I felt exactly the same about the games you mentioned.

Did you ever play SW: TOR? There was a user with the same name as you in our guild.

Anyway..

GRID 2. It's just not very good is it.
  • Gunzberg 17 Jun 2013 19:29:12 1,732 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Metroid: Other M

Frustratingly designed bullshit

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• CharlieStCloud 17 Jun 2013 21:30:44 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:

Oh, Other M was easily the most regrettable game I purchased for the Wii.

... blooming terrible, especially the 'story'.

The Metroid Prime games however are utterly superb.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jun 2013 21:34:53 3,988 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Raiko101

I haven't played Trine 2 yet, although I bought it recently on a Steam sale (far too much games in my library), but I felt similar about Trine 1. Looks wonderful, but plays... meh.

Recently, I played The Lost Vikings 1 and 2 again via emulation. So great. Why can't anyone pull that off today?
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jun 2013 21:49:14 3,988 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FUEL

Played it for only one hour, it's not simply shit, but one of those games whose mere existence seem utterly pointless. It isn't that bad, but it also has no qualities whatsoever, and gives you very little motivation to continue playing.

I wondered, is it possible that most overly Americanised games are made by European devs? The redneck fest of Fuel is made by a French developer, Motorstorm by a British, Codemasters is also British (and most notably with Dirt went the Americanising way), Ubisoft seems to have a USA fetish recently too...

One of the few American devs that come to my mind with a great display of redneck culture is Gearbox with Borderlands, and ironically they're the ones making fun of it all.
  • WoodenSpoon 17 Jun 2013 22:00:46 12,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked the Trine games.

I think part of the point is that you can sometimes 'cheat' the puzzles. You've got to use the characters' skills to get to the end of the level, it doesn't really matter how you do it.

Maybe if you were coming at it expecting a 'tight' platformer you'd be disappointed.

At any rate, do they still make platformers these days? I found a PSX copy of Croc earlier, got really tempted to rip it for the emulator...
  • oconnomiyaki 18 Jun 2013 06:11:44 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hitman Absolution. Got to the second chapter and stopped playing for life reasons. Went back to play it and realised I didn't care.
  • Gunzberg 18 Jun 2013 09:25:50 1,732 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Gunzberg wrote:

I enjoyed the Prime Games more for sure. I hate the stand still and aim thing in Other M, the constant forced switching between 2D and 3D just to get a shot off, the whiny story, the crappy checkpointing.

Team Ninja imo do not have a clue about what a game actually is. A game is meant to be an enjoyable experience, this is utter shit by design.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Armoured_Bear 18 Jun 2013 09:51:42 11,267 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Gunzberg wrote:

I enjoyed the Prime Games more for sure. I hate the stand still and aim thing in Other M, the constant forced switching between 2D and 3D just to get a shot off, the whiny story, the crappy checkpointing.

Team Ninja imo do not have a clue about what a game actually is. A game is meant to be an enjoyable experience, this is utter shit by design.
    Yep, it's gash.
    There won't be a proper Metroid game for years, that makes me sad...

• Paulie_P 19 Jun 2013 11:49:35 415 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I hated the way Nintendo forced 3D controls onto the D-Pad for Other-M. Worryingly, it sounds like they've done the same for Super Mario 3D World.

Edited by Paulie_P at 11:50:05 19-06-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Jun 2013 11:51:12 11,267 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Paulie_P wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I hated the way Nintendo forced 3D controls onto the D-Pad for Other-M. Worryingly, it sounds like they've done the same for Super Mario 3D World.
    WIth Super Mario 3D World that's only the case if you choose to play with a Wiimote (If I understand correctly). With ethe Gamepad and gamepad Pro you have full analogue control.

• Deleted user 20 June 2013 23:35:30
    Far Cry 3. Well close too. Just not feeling it, and frankly i find it boring. I can;t remember the last time i abandoned a game.
  • dr_swin 21 Jun 2013 08:32:06 4,890 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Controversial!
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 08:58:23
    joelstinton wrote:
    Far Cry 3. Well close too. Just not feeling it, and frankly i find it boring. I can;t remember the last time i abandoned a game.
    I'm playing this at the moment and i'm sort of feeling the same thing. It's a decent solid shooter but it's far too "busy" with too much extra RPG-lite shite tacked-on. Pretty looking though.
  • zoranzelenika 21 Jun 2013 09:39:47 30 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gave up on Deus Ex Human revolution at the penultimate boss fight.
    Nice game spoiled by horrible boss fights I just can't get into.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 10:13:09
    dr_swin wrote:
    Controversial!
    yeah im not sure if its gaming fatigue or not. I keep at it, theres moments i have enjoyed but its just not clicking. Perhaps its the open world nature, since Oblivion i have seriously struggled to get into them, even Fallout 3 i had to sort of force my self to finish.

PS. Hub Worlds do it more for me, similar but miles apart, but constantly engaging. I.e Dark Souls.

Edited by joelstinton at 10:14:54 21-06-2013
  • Dr_Mech 21 Jun 2013 10:14:42 1,026 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    zoranzelenika wrote:
    Gave up on Deus Ex Human revolution at the penultimate boss fight.
    Nice game spoiled by horrible boss fights I just can't get into.
    Common problem with the game to be honest, all the boss fights in it are shite for one reason.

They're not made by the same company as the main game, the boss fight segments were farmed out to some no name game developer (you can kind of see this in one boss fight where it clearly hints at having an option to save the boss in the ending cutscene but the main game just goes, "nope, dead, sorry" ).

Even the creators of the main game said that the boss fights were fucking awful.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:14:52 21-06-2013
  • zoranzelenika 21 Jun 2013 10:34:04 30 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It shows.
    They're very unbalanced and cheesy, basically begging for spamming of certain weapons, and stand out badly in comparison to the smooth, varied gameplay of the rest of the game. Very 1998. and not in a good way.
  • steve1979 21 Jun 2013 10:41:47 1,997 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can beat each of the bosses in about 10 seconds with an upgraded typhoon. Stand next to them, spam typhoon, get on with the rest of the game.
  • imamazed 21 Jun 2013 10:44:39 5,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    You can beat each of the bosses in about 10 seconds with an upgraded typhoon. Stand next to them, spam typhoon, get on with the rest of the game.
    This.
  • Pumpatron 21 Jun 2013 12:51:20 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Coupled with team mates who run ahead and just start firefights it turns into a clunky action game rather than anything tactical. Euurgh.
    This was my main issue with the game. As an action game it's poor, and it constantly keeps turning into one, when you're allowed to be stealthy and given options, it's actually fun. But it dips into crappy action mode far too often.

Sometimes my twatty squad would sprit off and kill pretty much all the enemies before I'd seen them, so I'm just left to stroll through an empty environment with little to do. Brilliant. It's either that or sprint ahead of them, but then it just turns just a poor, clunky action game.

I hardly ever abandon games but I thought it was just turd. I was about to quit after the snowy level but decided to give it a bit longer, it improved a bit, but then went back to being turd.
  • DFawkes 21 Jun 2013 13:13:11 22,978 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    I've not played it yet, but assuming it's sort of similar to the others, surely taking the Typhoon (and I assume upgrades as you play) isn't mandatory, leaving it entirely possible that you may have chosen to take a different path, making this impossible/harder?

It's not very smart if you have to take certain abilities to counter potentially problematic game design. As I say though, I've not played it so maybe this Typhoon thing is mandatory :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• steve1979 21 Jun 2013 13:39:16 1,997 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can do it a number of ways, but the typhoon is quicker and means you don't have to really play the boss fights, which suck.

They typhoon isn't mandatory, in fact I don't use it at all outside of boss fights.

Edited by steve1979 at 13:39:56 21-06-2013
  • JiveHound 21 Jun 2013 13:48:13 2,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bioshock Infinite.

Utterly boring in my opinion although this is coming from someone who is now fed up with shooters. Especially cinematic ones.

I've given it a fair crack and am reasonably far but I'm just not feeling it.

They've tightened the shooting mechanics from the first game but all aspirations at being an adventure has been stripped out as a result.

A yawn inducing average shooting game that cribs too close to the AAA checklist. Surprised there's no multiplayer.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Page

of 144 First / Last