*Official* XBLA thread Page 531

• Page

of 631 First / Last

• evild_edd 20 Sep 2012 15:52:43 3,076 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good point Blerk: SotS looks really promising, though I think it's sort of a turn-based and action hybrid, right...? Looks good though :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 15:54:20 22,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    In other news: I really want more downloadable turn-based/ strategy games. I love them.
    Skulls of the Shogun must be imminent now. It's supposed to be launching alongside Windows 8 on PC.
    Forgot that! Woo! More Turn-based! YEAH!

TBH Front Mission 3 HD would sort me out. Oh, and someone to take the Gladius IP and go nuts.

Commanders: Attack of the Genos is around, but also a bit crap. As is that bug game - both really old XBLA titles.

There's a big one I've forgotten, I know it...
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 15:55:07 22,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fact, is Gladius BC comp? Utterly exhausting to play, but so much content.

More games need to embrace turn-based co-op, both local and online. So much nerdfun to be had.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:55:49 20-09-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Sep 2012 16:02:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Good point Blerk: SotS looks really promising, though I think it's sort of a turn-based and action hybrid, right...? Looks good though :0)
    No, it's totally turn-based, it's just not grid-based. Looks like it works a bit like Phantom Brave on the PS2 if you ever played that.
  • agparrot 20 Sep 2012 16:07:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope Skulls of the Shogun doesn't "Do a Fusion: Genesis" and come out on the same day as XCOM, or something utterly, utterly stupid like that.

Not that I'm in the business of predicting release dates.

Hopefully the XCOM sells a bajazillion copies and prompts makers of all games, XBLA ones included, to revisit turn-based stuff properly.

Laser Squad please!
  • dancingrob 20 Sep 2012 16:25:13 1,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    not quite turn based, but I really enjoyed Tropico 3 as well, and would happily recommend that for a strategy type game.
  • andytheadequate 20 Sep 2012 16:27:24 8,119 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Greed corp is an excellent turn based strategy game, probably my favourite on the 360
  • agparrot 20 Sep 2012 16:31:50 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Greed corp is an excellent turn based strategy game, probably my favourite on the 360
    Of course - good call. I completely forgot about that one, even after I got it for a bargainous 160 points, back when MS used to do good surprise sales!
  • Deleted user 20 September 2012 16:36:59
    I think there might be a couple of semi-decent turned based strategy in the indie games section - dont ask me for names though.

Also a big fan btw. The Fire Emblem series on the GBA are probably my all time favourite.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Sep 2012 16:41:20 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Greed Corp, eh? I may have to look at that as I am also a fan of turn based gamplay.
    Don't forget Blood Bowl, that is another good turn based game.
  • agparrot 20 Sep 2012 16:43:38 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    I think there might be a couple of semi-decent turned based strategy in the indie games section - dont ask me for names though.

Also a big fan btw. The Fire Emblem series on the GBA are probably my all time favourite.
    Yup, there is that one.... that begins with an H.... in the indie channel. Oh God....

/goes away and looks.

Ok, not exactly beginning with H...

Miasma

and presumably also

Miasma 2

I am going to download them both, as I'm sure RedSparrows told me about the first game about two and a half years ago, and I didn't get round to buying it. Shameful!
  • agparrot 20 Sep 2012 16:44:25 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Greed Corp, eh? I may have to look at that as I am also a fan of turn based gamplay.
    Don't forget Blood Bowl, that is another good turn based game.
    Yes, been quite tempted by Blood Bowl on GoD, too, especially as it got a permanent reduction to 11.99.

Just.. so much to play!
  • evild_edd 20 Sep 2012 17:24:00 3,076 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    No, it's totally turn-based, it's just not grid-based. Looks like it works a bit like Phantom Brave on the PS2 if you ever played that.
    Ah, thanks. No idea where I got that idea from then!?!?

Never played Phantom Brave. Any good?

Speaking of old PS2 turn-based affairs: anyone remember Ring Of Red? My house mate at uni' had that and we spent a ridiculous number of hours working through the campaign. Came out far too early in the PS2's life cycle though, and bombed sales wise... Apparently Microsoft were such fans that they decided to smuggle their own version of the title into 50% of their launch 360s *ba-DOOM tish*

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• agparrot 20 Sep 2012 17:40:43 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @evild_edd Nicely done, sir!

Yes, Ring Of Red was one of my all-time favourite things about PS2. I would probably murder in exchange for an HD or, well, SD version that I could play on XBLA. Same goes for Disgaea. Might even have my ROR knocking around somewhere, although I have a horrible feeling it went in my giant trade-in of 2007.
  • andytheadequate 20 Sep 2012 17:49:24 8,119 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If anyone does decide to buy or play greed corp then let me know. The multiplayer is great fun but very hard to find players
  • MysteryLamb 20 Sep 2012 19:53:41 525 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I did buy it but found it hard to like - I may well give it another open minded bash.

Edited by MysteryLamb at 19:53:58 20-09-2012
  • AccidentProne 20 Sep 2012 20:06:44 1,162 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I did the same. Bought it in a sale after recommendations on here, but only played the first level or so. Didn't really click with me for some reason, which is weird as I usually love turn based, board game type things. I'll give it another chance too at some point.
  • andytheadequate 20 Sep 2012 21:30:39 8,119 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The tutorial is awful so be warned.

The point of the game isn't how much land you control as you only get resources by harvesting it. But when you harvest it the tiles start to crumble away. The key to the game is to use your airships to land troops on opponents land and place a harvester on it. Then even when they take that tile over again the harvester will still be there, slowly destroying the tile and those round it. A very simple concept but it works brilliantly, there's no other game like it. I will happily give people a quick run through of strategy in more detail if any one fancies a go at the mp
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 22:42:17 22,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I forgot Greed Corp! Good game: but just a teensy bit too quick for me: matches are over soon.

Still, very good concept.

Blood Bowl ey? Will look.

Miasma had a sequel? Will look at that too!
  • robthehermit 21 Sep 2012 08:22:24 4,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wasn't Blood Bowl terrible?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 08:31:13 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Never played Phantom Brave. Any good?
    I liked it, yeah. It's very similar to Disgaea (same company) but not quite so crazy. And as I said before, it's not tile-based - when you move you get a circle around you which shows the limits of where you can move to during that turn. As you move, the circle shrinks until you're out of points, then you can attack or defend. Skulls looks rather similar, so I surmise it works in much the same way.
  • 4gate 21 Sep 2012 09:36:58 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Wasn't Blood Bowl terrible?
    It's a very clunky conversion, but it mainly works. There is an occasional player movement bug which means restarting a match, and team members sometimes lose skills in the campaign, but the latter might be intentional. You can certainly get a full campaign out of it, and getting past the first few games where your new team fumble, stumble and generally fuck up everything possible is pretty satisfying.
  • dancingrob 21 Sep 2012 09:59:28 1,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Admittedly, I only played around 1 1/2 games of Blood Bowl at my brother's place, but I thought it was terrible.

Used to love the boardgame in the late 80s/ early 90s, but couldn't get into this version at all.

Didn't really get on with Greed Corp either, even though it looked like just my sort of thing.
  • L_Franko Moderator 21 Sep 2012 09:59:31 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really liked Blood Bowl I sunk many hours into that game on the 360. I think it helped that I'm a massive fan of the board game and the 360 version was the only way I could play the game again. I never noticed any problems or bugs while playing through a campaign.
    Only thing I would have liked added was all the proper star players from the GW version of the game.

Edited by L_Franko at 09:59:44 21-09-2012
  • 4gate 21 Sep 2012 10:02:46 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The movement bug was where you stepped through a players move, but then it wouldnt allow you to complete the move, or step back. It stopped because the move involved a shove, which moved a lot of other players until one wasn't able to move atall. Might be VERY rare, I did play the single player a hell of a lot, and an experienced Saurus front line do a lot of shoving :)

Edited by 4gate at 10:10:31 21-09-2012

Edited by 4gate at 10:10:57 21-09-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Sep 2012 10:15:48 37,825 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't that Fire Pro Wrestling Avatar game out today? It is in America, and it's meant to be DIRE but I have to try it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 14:40:00 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fire Pro is out over here too, it seems. 800 points for the game, 400 points for the day-one-DLC expansion pack.
  • andytheadequate 21 Sep 2012 15:32:28 8,119 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Greed corp can be played pretty quickly buy some of the matches can easily go on for over an hour when you get catious opponents playing on the larger maps
  • HandsomeCrab 21 Sep 2012 17:11:30 278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Fire Pro meant to be awful then? That's a shame as the Saturn and Dreamcast games were fantastic. I'd kill for a proper Fire Pro game on xbla.

GT: carlmadin

• repairmanjack 22 Sep 2012 14:33:40 6,011 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, really liking RAW the deeper in I get. It's even kept me off Mark of the Ninja for a couple of nights (mind you, Borderlands 2 has helped there).
  • Page

of 631 First / Last