Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 39

• Page

of 42 First / Last

• boo 21 Jun 2012 10:11:39 11,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got in to work this morning to find 'The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen : Century, 2009' has arrived.

Will have to read the first two instalments again before I start on this, as quite frankly, it's baffling.

The original was excellent, the second vol was pretty good, but Century has been... underwhelming...

And I've avoided the Black Dossier completely - heard very few positive comments about it.

Just Another Lego Blog

• CosmicFuzz 21 Jun 2012 10:43:58 23,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah yeah I've got the first Century book still sitting at home. Need to re-read the first two as well.

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with remastered games? Read my thoughts!

• boo 23 Jun 2012 00:32:06 11,703 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm.
    Read all three parts of TLOEG : Century today. To be fair, 1909 & 1969 make more sense when you re-read them with the benefit of an explanatory wiki entry. Some of the characters are a little obscure, but the story's definitely not as bad as it seemed first time round.

But 2009...

Moore seems to be suffering from an attack of the JK Rowling's, whereby no editor has the nerve to say 'Actually, Alan, this isn't really up to scratch'. I mean it's Alan bloody Moore!

He seems to have just gone nuts with the TV / film / literary references, and it's as if he just flicked through a media encyclopedia, sticking his finger in at random and saying 'We'll have him, and her, and them, and that, and...'

The final showdown, such as it was, was actually a bit of a let down. I won't spoil it for anyone, but it just seemed a bit... silly.

I'll re-read it in a couple of weeks and see if it comes across any better second time around.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Trafford 23 Jun 2012 01:46:17 5,611 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You should read The Black Dossier.
    There's some excellent reading in there.
    No sign of my 2009 yet.
  • beastmaster 25 Jun 2012 16:56:04 11,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished Catwoman: Trail of the Catwoman.

The main bulk of it is Selina's Big Score and there's not really that much Catwoman in it but it's still pretty good. Quite liked the retro style artwork.

I've got Kick Ass 2, Absolulte Promethea Book1 ready to go and a couple of Judge Anderson ones to arrive.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• LockeTribal 25 Jun 2012 17:06:30 4,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Recently read The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams (as part of the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection). Peter David really knew how to write the Hulk and the art (by Dale Keown) is great 80s comic art - slightly trashy but full of energy.
  • w00t 25 Jun 2012 17:11:22 11,047 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ATOMIC ROBO

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• beastmaster 25 Jun 2012 18:47:48 11,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished Kick Ass 2. I've not read the first (only seen the film) but this makes for interesting reading.

The humour is pretty much gone. It's also stunningly violent and dark. I'm pretty sure they're going to have to change it for the film they're making. Hit Girl isn't in it much and she's the most popular character.

Lots of bad things happen in this. You think the first film caused a shit storm then that's going to be nothing compared to this.

Not exactly enjoyable but compelling.

• damagedinc 3 Jul 2012 00:29:32 685 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Regarding batman i have done most of the go to graphic novels. I have heard the joker is returning in oct in the run of comics.

How do you go about collecting the current line of comics  is there on line or the likes of the black mirror arc a one off.

Not really sure how it works

Ta
  • spamdangled 3 Jul 2012 00:42:57 27,269 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not sure what you mean.

If you're talking about individual issues, then you're best off looking for your closest comic shop. Failing that, can buy digital versions through istore apps like comixology.

If you're talking story arcs, most are now collected in TPB form shortly after publication.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• damagedinc 5 Jul 2012 10:08:29 685 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah im not sure im explaining myself all that well haha. Which is normally the case.

For example if i want to get the next batman or spiderman comic where/what do i pick up? I am assuming they have a continuous stream of comics per month. The more celebrated arcs get put together into a 'novel'

Im after the indivdual series subscription. Or are there many different ones?

Again hope i am making sense haha! I dont have a local comic book store so want to order online
  • Trafford 8 Jul 2012 21:37:45 5,611 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @boo
    2009, my copy turned up this weekend, I do agree with you about the final showdown.
    Overall I've enjoyed V3, really quite epic in places. The atmosphere in 1909 was sublime, the cliffhanger of 1969 and Kevin O'Neill drew a fantastic comic.
    I thought each act reflected the age well.

I'd like more LoEG, the other Leagues revealed in The Black Dossier would be good.
  • Kostabi 8 Jul 2012 21:56:38 4,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @damagedinc If you want the comic before it gets collected into a larger 'novel' then your local comic shop will happily sort out what you want every month.

Most websites sell single issues as well, try megacitycomics.co.uk for an idea of what's on offer.
  • damagedinc 9 Jul 2012 13:50:51 685 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for help,

Took the courage to go to orbital comic shop in london. Very helpful.

I went to economic comics online who offer a very good sub service. Would love to but dont have time to visit comic shop as my nearest is london.

Picked up last two amazing spiderman and the first 'dark knight' hurwitz first issue. Very impressed especially with later wasnt convinced of 'spidermen' and done ultimate spiderman in trade paper back.

Subscribed to dark knight, amazing spiderman and the new 52 'batman' starting from #12 Becky cloolan doing a one off issue leading to #13 with a new story arc so good place to start.

All about snyder's joker in oct though
  • DestroyOhBoy 28 Jul 2012 12:38:44 65 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Over the last week I've read John Byrne's Fantastic Four run...really great stuff. Enjoying his and Jerry Ordway's Superman now.
  • PearOfAnguish 28 Jul 2012 14:11:54 7,137 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone know some good sources for buying comic book art prints, or original artwork? Don't entirely trust ebay for that kind of thing.

Failing that, high res digital versions would be nice so I can print my own posters.
  • DestroyOhBoy 28 Jul 2012 14:54:27 65 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    www.art.co.uk

For prints.

http://www.doasales.com/

Some nice original stuff here.
  • PearOfAnguish 28 Jul 2012 15:14:29 7,137 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers. If anyone is interested I have several very high quality images of some Watchmen panels. They're not scans so make really great posters.
  • beastmaster 29 Jul 2012 12:13:58 11,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Death Note any good?

• LockeTribal 2 Aug 2012 14:10:42 4,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have read a veritable smorgasbord of comics over the last couple of weeks.

Firstly, Alan Moore and Alan Davis's run on Captain Britain - Fantastic stuff, Marvel at it's finest in terms of both the art and the writing. Just such a pity that Moore didn't write more Marvel characters (I'm aware of the reasons why he didn't) because, going by this effort, he could have done wonders.

Then, Phonogram: The Singles Club by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie - Need to read it again I think. That's not to say I didn't find it enjoyable. I like McKelvie's art, it's very streamlined but conveys plenty of character. Gillen's writing is very good too. At the same time, there's a kind of pretentiousness about the book - but that is probably just the whole "music snobbery" aspect of it. need to read it again.

Most recently I've read Chew - Taster's Choice by John Layman and Rob Guillory. This was recommended to me a few years ago in this very thread and I only got around to ordering it recently. Loved it. Great art, great characterisation, the story is fast-paced and engaging. Will be picking up the second volume in the near future (hopefully).
  • Oh-Bollox 2 Aug 2012 14:12:26 5,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only just remembered that Locke & Key volume 5 is out, and ordered it.
  • dutchspeededup 2 Aug 2012 14:43:55 4,376 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm reading 'Black Hole'. It's profoundly disturbing.
  • KingOfSpain 14 Aug 2012 15:16:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I decided a couple of weeks ago that I needed to try to get into graphic novels/comics. I've tried in the past but I just couldn't find a way a way "in".

This time I'm going to try and stick with it.

So over the past couple of weeks I've been doing my research and dipping my toe into a few recommendations.

Started by picking up the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files 1. Found it very daft and silly but it stuck with it and picked up the 2nd book which is much better. Going to try to get though as many as I can. Been told that it really gets going around book 4/5.

After being told about the "New 52" reboot I thought I'd jump in to Batman with episode 1, thinking it would be a good place to start. Boy was I wrong. Knowing next to nothing about Batman, apart from what is told in Nolans Films and the recent games, I was utterly confused and out of my depth within the first few pages. (Batman has a kid for fucks sack! What happened there!)

The whole Batman continuity is a mess for anyone trying to get into it now. As someone new to Bats should I read Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, Batman Incorporated!? Are they all the same Batman? Do things that happen to one Batman happen to the others? Which one is the REAL Batman!?

Deciding that I need a proper genesis story, I found Batman Year One, and thank God I did. Fuck me it's good. Really good. Properly fucking good! Why has nobody told me about this before, blowing my socks off type of good!

Was sad to read the last page so I've just ordered The Long Halloween, which I've heard continues from near the end of Year One.I've also just learnt about the new reboot, Batman Earth One, which sounds perfect for me.

I've also just finished the first Walking Dead book, which, as someone who thought the TV series was good, but not amazing, I found really enjoyable. I'll be looking at picking up the 2nd book this week.

As well as picking up Batman, Dredd, and the Walking Dead, I'm also eyeing up the Sandman stuff. I love almost everything Gaiman has written, but I've never picked up Sandman, so I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm now off to read this thread form the very beginning, looking for recommendations!

EDIT - sorry for the long blog post! :)

Edited by KingOfSpain at 15:16:58 14-08-2012
  • LeoliansBro 14 Aug 2012 15:27:32 43,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Read Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and maybe The Long Haloween. Anything else is glossy garbage or tonally deaf.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• senso-ji 14 Aug 2012 15:47:20 5,789 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Batman: The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum are both excellent.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Aug 2012 15:49:38 43,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Killing Joke was horrible IMO. Sorry, but it got Batman wrong, humanised the Joker, and gave us a look at Gordon's penis.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• GuiltySpark 14 Aug 2012 16:27:27 6,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Batman: The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum are both excellent.
    Not to sound like a dick, but I'd have to disagree. I never really got what made The Killing Joke so good, and the smile at the end was too cheesy to be... anything. Arkham Asylum also seemed to lack any substance, definitely not recommended for beginners.

I jumped into comics around the end of high school, I didn't have a fucking clue what to read. I couldn't jump into anything ongoing, so I stuck with the trades.

The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush (from what I can remember it had a large rogues gallery, so that should get you reading on most of the characters (it's pretty pulpy, but I liked it), Dark Knight Returns (non-canon, so read whenever), and a bit of Wikipedia reading. There's not much point trying to read every single thing unless it particularly interests you, such as Knightfall or something similar.

The New 52 is a good place to start. It may seem intimidating, but just read on. Skip Detective Comics cos it is wank, but the main Batman comic is all sorts of good, as is Batman and Robin (Robin being Batman's son, which might explain a few things to you)

Also, depending on how much you care about whether your comics centre around men in tights or not, there are hundreds of absolutely fantastic comics out there that aren't ongoing, and might not be on DC/Marvel's main lines, and they're definitely worth a look.

Aimed at KingOfSpain, obvs.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 16:28:41 14-08-2012

Get bent.

• Trafford 21 Sep 2012 11:09:13 5,611 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching my 10 year old son read the complete edition of Bone.
    He is totally wrapt in it's humour and epicness.
    It is a great read, reminds me of Asterix or those old Smurf comic books.
  • rtk79 21 Sep 2012 12:34:04 488 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone ordered, and more importantly received, Grant Morrison's Invisibles Omnibus from The Book Depository ? I preordered the thing in April, eagerly awaiting its August 24th release date and, a month later, have yet to receive it. Their support team claims they're having problems getting stock in. I wonder if they're being truthful there.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 12:35:39
    I ordered the walking dead compendium 1 for my sister her birthday today (Still havn't arrived!). I look forward to reading it ;)
  • Page

of 42 First / Last