The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 26

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• Khanivor 9 Feb 2013 16:51:05 40,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you watch Aliens I'd say about 90% of its running time has no shooting, no explosions. It's about fear and tension, about facing an enemy you can only hope to keep at bay, not defeat. Remember, half the squad is dead after the first encounter, only one is alive after the second.

I don't think the game should be a pure survival horror, more something like Dead Space or System Shock. A full on FPS is not in keeping with the movie's tone at all.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Feb 2013 17:00:33 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My good friend who is a wholeheartedly appreciative Alien fan thinks this is merely an above average game, but ultimately, a fairly poor and woefully disappointing Aliens game.

: (
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 17:05:12 2,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must have seen a different movie. There is plenty of shooting in Aliens, of course there is a lot more to it than that. One thing Aliens did brilliantly was turning the machismo bullshit displayed by Hudson, Burke ect on its head and in the end the remaining marines look to Ripley, a female civilian, who shows more grace under pressure, for leadership.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Feb 2013 17:10:11 6,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    She's certainly ballsy. I'd follow Ripley into battle tbh.
  • stryker1121 9 Feb 2013 17:18:19 677 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What I love about the movie is the build-up to the shooty stuff. Cameron is a genius at building tension...don't know how you replicate that in an Aliens game, but from the look of the gameplay vid somebody posted upthread, there's a whole section where you're aiming down iron sights at Weyland Yutani thugs. From what i've seen of the actual xeno combat, it looks slow and the aliens don't do much damage when they strike. I really want CM be good but there's too many red flags indicating that the game is going to be a dog, or serviceable if you're looking to be optimistic.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 17:20:35
    Call of Duty: Black Goo.

It's the only way to be sure.
  • killersrquiet 9 Feb 2013 17:28:09 1,917 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    The game is based on Aliens not Alien for fucks sake, I really don't get the complains about it not being a survival horror game. Watch Aliens again, it's about a bunch of marines who get overwhelmed by sheer weight of numbers. It features a lot of marines shooting Aliens! A lot of aliens exploding by sentry turrets, lots of aliens getting blown up by grenades!

The game does look a bit poo but please don't complain because it isn't Alien.
    Sounds remarkably similar to the marine campaign from avp2
  • onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2013 17:32:55 2,042 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    The game is based on Aliens not Alien for fucks sake, I really don't get the complains about it not being a survival horror game. Watch Aliens again, it's about a bunch of marines who get overwhelmed by sheer weight of numbers. It features a lot of marines shooting Aliens! A lot of aliens exploding by sentry turrets, lots of aliens getting blown up by grenades!

The game does look a bit poo but please don't complain because it isn't Alien.
    Yeah to be honest part of me actually is tempted to watch Aliens again and time for you how much of the film is actually taking up with marines actually fighting.
  • onestepfromlost 9 Feb 2013 17:44:43 2,042 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella If i didnt have a shit load of college work to do I would be using it as the perfect excuse to watch it again, even though i watched it last week :p
  • Khanivor 9 Feb 2013 17:54:22 40,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not complaining because it's not Alien. I'm complaining because it's not Aliens.

It appears more like a SciFi D movie version, or some crappy fanfic by an overexcited teenager who only sees the shooting and swearing and thus misses all the nuance and tone of the movie.

I'm also tempted to rewatch Aliens and see how much of the movie does involve marine combat. Thinking about it, my 90% of running time is maybe a wee bit of an overestimate. Maybe there's ten minutes of marine shooting in a 140 minute movie, (if you consider the SE and it's additional moments of auto gun action).

If I wasn't about to go refloor the back porch I'd do it myself but I trust Goodfella is up to the job :)

Edited by Khanivor at 17:54:57 09-02-2013
  • Khanivor 9 Feb 2013 17:56:42 40,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel safer already.
  • Gambit1977 9 Feb 2013 17:57:57 9,583 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's disappointing hearing all these first impressions. What I'd hoped for was a random alien generator, similar to the back end of Left 4 Dead. Open levels with a few objectives, but working in a team, again like L4D...you'd be walking along, see something blip quickly on the motion detector and run into a nearby room. The 'tank' character would have a welding torch and would block the door. Behind you there's a computer that's down. A 'hacker' would get in and activate the lights or sentry guns...

That type of thing.
  • -cerberus- 9 Feb 2013 18:04:42 2,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Khanivor wrote: It appears more like a SciFi D movie version, or some crappy fanfic by an overexcited teenager who only sees the shooting and swearing and thus misses all the nuance and tone of the movie.
    Which incidentally explains the mainstream audiences' disdain for the nihilistic masterpiece that is Alien³.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• ZuluHero 9 Feb 2013 19:09:19 4,093 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    It's disappointing hearing all these first impressions. What I'd hoped for was a random alien generator, similar to the back end of Left 4 Dead. Open levels with a few objectives, but working in a team, again like L4D...you'd be walking along, see something blip quickly on the motion detector and run into a nearby room. The 'tank' character would have a welding torch and would block the door. Behind you there's a computer that's down. A 'hacker' would get in and activate the lights or sentry guns...

That type of thing.
    Yeah this. I was looking forward to this so much, but I'm starting to think the worst.
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 19:58:25 2,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Although, I need to watch the new episode of Spartacus first, then I'll watch Aliens. :p
    I'm setting the rules for this (don't argue I just am) and you have to watch the theatrical cut.
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 20:07:18 2,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah but the marines are walking around with their guns, right? That's kinda like shooting.
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 20:13:10 2,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well duh.
  • bad09 9 Feb 2013 20:16:38 5,759 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    I'm setting the rules for this (don't argue I just am) and you have to watch the theatrical cut.
    Wouldn't that have even less shooting because you lose the turret scenes? :)
  • B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 20:21:09 2,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Wouldn't that have even less shooting because you lose the turret scenes? :)
    Well we're specifically talking about marines shooting here. :p

I was referring to the theatrical version of Aliens, the version thingy isn't actually watching, the version I saw twice at the cinema. :cool:
  • Progguitarist 9 Feb 2013 21:16:25 10,404 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can melee the Aliens ffs.

/o\
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Feb 2013 21:16:49 6,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    hehe
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Feb 2013 21:18:01 6,654 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On the tv advert, there's a quote that flashes up "The first great game of 2013" but it goes too quickly to see where the source is from.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last