The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 15

  • Page

    of 57 First / Last

  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 12:05:34 44,309 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why would they evacuate if the explosion didn't touch Hadley's Hope?

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 12:06:46 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Hadley's Hope shouldn't exist, that's the problem here.

    Also the whole point of Aliens is 'less is more'. Doesn't seem to be what we're getting here.
    But that's YOUR opinion :) In truth, when you think about it, at no point in the film are told the colony will go, at no point do we see it go. We don't know what state the colony is actually in we just presumed it got vaporised and are now having problems with a story being told from that location after the events. Give it a chance I doubt we are gonna see Prometheus style film rape.

    As for "less is more" have you seen Aliens? That time it was WAR. Less is more was Alien and Alien 3, Aliens was a full on macho big balled action flick thrill ride and a bloody great one at that.
  • Gambit1977 15 Jan 2013 12:06:56 9,719 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Why would they evacuate if the explosion didn't touch Hadley's Hope?
    It clearly wiped out anything sentient, and the fallout would be bad. But surely there's a chance the structures could remain, albeit in a mess.
  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 12:08:36 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Why would they evacuate if the explosion didn't touch Hadley's Hope?
    It does touch HH though, that's the thing, people are getting worked up but from what we have seen of the game it has been ripped apart.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 12:11:50 44,309 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The word 'crater' in the film is pretty solid evidence that HH is supposed to go. And when they look at the atmosphere processors out the window, and when Farrell comes to pock them up in the dropship it's clear they're in the 30km blast zone.

    From the screenshots even plastic sheeting and signs survived this.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • neilka 15 Jan 2013 12:22:48 15,991 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Take off and mildly devalue the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 12:24:35 44,309 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Take off and assume the atmosphere processers actually do what you said they would but don't check. It's the only way to awkwardly shoehorn in a sequel that avoids 25 years of subsequent miss-steps.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 12:32:04 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

    "a crater the size of Nebraska" doesn't actually describe the blast radius, Bishop does that accurately. As you say a blast radius 30km, in truth a lot smaller than Nebraska :) Now we know the colony is fairly close to the reactor but not how close, you need a vehicle to get there so it's not right outside, it's a colony built on an alien world originally with no atmosphere so it's not exactly fragile so it's actually perfectly reasonable some of the structures are still standing, hell we haven't played it yet there may be one building and a crater for HH, again it's only one setting within the game.

    There is no mention of the colony not standing in some form so really the only reason people have problem with it is our own assumption as to what the damage would be.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 12:35:06 44,309 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You watch the dropship fly there and see the processors from HH. At most a couple of km.

    Why are you bending over backwards for this?

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 12:41:59 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

    You see the processor go up that's it. We don't know what happened to the colony as we never see it...until now ;)

    I'm not bending over just because I don't have a problem with the plot. At first I did but when I thought about it it is possible some of the structure survived, we haven't played the game yet either so we don't know how much of it is actually at the HH site anyway. Like I say the HH section could could be one building and the rest on the surface crater for all we know, some of it is outside.

    Edited by bad09 at 12:42:59 15-01-2013
  • Gambit1977 15 Jan 2013 12:43:07 9,719 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You watch the dropship fly there and see the processors from HH. At most a couple of km.

    Why are you bending over backwards for this?
    Same reason you're getting so het up about it I'd guess :lol:
  • neilka 15 Jan 2013 12:49:40 15,991 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is Charlize Theron's arse in this?

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • AcidSnake 15 Jan 2013 13:38:44 7,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only mitigating thing I can think of is that the atmosphere on LV426 wasn't yet ready and therefore more of the blast would be deflected into space...

    But that blast radius absolutely covers the whole colony...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • -cerberus- 15 Jan 2013 13:48:37 2,891 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In short: Gearbox shat out another excuse for us to shoot stuff.

    Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

  • muttler 15 Jan 2013 18:47:55 4,038 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a quick point about HH being not completely destroyed- in the last interview link I posted one of the devs mentions that the company have 'done things' to the colony complex in the 17 weeks between when the film ends and the game begins.  Maybe some of it has been partially rebuilt.  Also to say again, it is clear from the videos that we have seen that HH is badly damaged, with huge holes on the outer walls.

    Also again, Ridley Scott is involved in this to help with the story, direction and to make sure it is canonical.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 18:53:17
    muttler wrote:

    Also again, Ridley Scott is involved in this to help with the story, direction and to make sure it is canonical.
    No thanks. Not after Prometheus.
  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 19:14:09 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair to Ridley it wasn't him that ruined Prometheus.

    What's Ridley got to do with Aliens though? Surely Cameron is the bloke to ask on that one.

    EDIT - scratch that I realise with some of the game in the derelict I suppose Scott would be the one to ask

    Edited by bad09 at 19:18:38 15-01-2013
  • Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 19:32:53 43,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure how the director isn't the person ultimately responsible for how a film turns out unless if the studio interfered and buggered around with it.

    Cameron would be the most natural person to have involvement as he created the Colonial Marines in the first place but he possibly didn't want to be involved and may have said "you do know I blew up Hadley's Hope don't you guys?"

    Edited by Whizzo at 19:33:13 15-01-2013

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 19:39:13 5,906 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Whizzo

    You said it, the studio got involved. Prometheus is a result of the studio bringing that Lindelof hack in to remove all the aliens stuff from the script.

    Yeah it does seem strange to not go to Cameron, my guess is a lot of it may have to do with the ship so Scott is more the man to ask as obviously Aliens doesn't cover much of that anyway.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 20:11:09
    bad09 wrote:
    @Whizzo

    You said it, the studio got involved. Prometheus is a result of the studio bringing that Lindelof hack in to remove all the aliens stuff from the script.

    Yeah it does seem strange to not go to Cameron, my guess is a lot of it may have to do with the ship so Scott is more the man to ask as obviously Aliens doesn't cover much of that anyway.
    That would explain Ridley's interview answers pre release when refusing to commit to it being an alien prequel or not. He didn't know any more.

    I think we can safely assume that between all films involving aliens, other games. Graphic novels etc that all people want is for it to evoke what we all want, to feel the terror of one of those poor bastard marines as they come face to face with one of cinemas greatest icons. I don't care about continuity or it being canon. I don't care if it's even in a parallel sodding universe or taking place inside ripleys head as she packs bags in poundland. Just be good god damn it. We deserve it.
  • muttler 15 Jan 2013 20:13:20 4,038 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Listen people, all I'm saying is that this is clearly an important game we're dealing with an I dont think you or I or anyone has the right to arbitrarily write it off before we`ve played it.

    Remember that a lot of us played this at the Expo and it was generally very well received. Now its being subsequently slagged off, by you, for reasons unknown.
  • b0rk 15 Jan 2013 20:15:42 2,727 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NOT for reasons unknown!
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 20:16:27
    \o/
  • Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 20:20:08 43,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I certainly enjoyed it at the Expo and I've got the PC CE on pre-order, I'll just tell the part of my brain saying "this place shouldn't be here" to STFU while playing it.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 22:17:17
    I'm getting it regardless. It'll be great to play a game with aliens, just aliens and no sodding predators running around ruining it all. Looks good from what I've seen and I'm not the fussiest gamer, tending to enjoy anything that scores a five or over. I think it'll be a blast.
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Jan 2013 23:05:28 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If we're being pedantic about Hadley's Hope still standing, have Gearbox or Sega commented on how the Sulaco returns to LV-426 from the Fiorina 'Fury' planet in Alien 3?
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 23:16:41
    After all the raping that the Alien franchise has endured over the years this really really needs to be good.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Jan 2013 23:23:17 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's assuming the Sulaco was anywhere near 161.

    The EEVs went there, sure, but the Sulaco could've been miles away. More huge holes.

    As for the last trailer I saw, a hive was shown, formed on one of the ships. Next thing you'll know, there'll be a crew and warts and all, despite the fact they're AI driven vessels, a step-up from Nostromo's Mother.

    Why they've gone to all this bother of: "Canon !", "The TRUE sequel !" etc when it'll probably settle into the typical formula of tension/scares/fight aliens/fight humans/fight boss, that may or may not excel over previous itinerations is still beyond me.

    Dug themselves their own hole tampering with the untouchable.
  • Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 23:29:01 43,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    If we're being pedantic about Hadley's Hope still standing, have Gearbox or Sega commented on how the Sulaco returns to LV-426 from the Fiorina 'Fury' planet in Alien 3?
    The questions of how and why the Sulaco returned to LV-426 is specifically raised in the story trailer.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • AcidSnake 16 Jan 2013 00:06:03 7,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, new theory, Bishop rigged the atmosphere processor to throw out a huge exhaust plume and only said there'd be an explosion...
    Then he ensured the EEV would eject after a while and the sulaco returned to LV426...

    Done...Canon...
    I hope I'm wrong, adding worse sequels/prequels/spin-offs is one thing, but actively rewriting older better material is a dickish move...

    Other theory, Jones the cat was impregnated in the first Alien, snuck aboard the sulaco and now returns to the derelict to make a master cat-alien race...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Page

    of 57 First / Last

Log in or register to reply