The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 53

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• Whizzo 17 Feb 2013 16:35:07 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you are a fan of Aliens, assume the writer of the storyline is this bloke

unfortunately he did go full retard.

Edited by Whizzo at 16:35:17 17-02-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 17 February 2013 16:39:17
    Sorry, I really don't believe you.

Aimed at the nutter who enjoyed this.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 16:39:49 17-02-2013

Edited by AdamAsunder at 16:42:33 17-02-2013
  • MrE26 17 Feb 2013 17:02:41 1,926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a massive fan of the film & the franchise & I found this as appealing as a dogshit sandwich.

It's like buying Aliens, getting home & finding Species 3 in the box instead.

Edited by MrE26 at 17:02:56 17-02-2013
  • Whizzo 17 Feb 2013 17:11:18 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A least there's some tits in Species 3, the only tits in the A:CM saga are the people who bought it.

• lavalant 17 Feb 2013 17:39:26 1,271 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    lavalant wrote:
    The most unforgivable thing is the whole hype and lies surrounding this game, all the footage and demo's shown isn't from the actual game they were planning to release, and all those bullshit interviews where they sit and lie.

It's difficult to enjoy even with the authentic atmosphere and fan service, because Mercenaries are your biggest enemy, the 2nd and 3rd level in the campaign is ALLLLL FUCKING HUMAN ENEMIES, no Aliens at all!! and this continues throughout the game, 70% Mercs, 30% Aliens..I'm serious! Hadley's hope is by far the best level, it's enjoyable and oozes atmosphere, there's plenty of tension.

I played Alien V Predator 2010 just to compare and the Aliens look and act fucking AMAZING compared to this shite.
    Your tune has changed so drastically it's akin to a dubstep dj suddenly going full on classical.

So what exactly has triggered such emotional changes may I ask? Why is the game "shite" all of a sudden?
    I don't believe I said the game was good, I said I just said it wasn't that bad, but that was during my stint at Hadley's Hope (the game's best level)

I'm on the second last level and the game has grinded me down to despair. The only thing keeping me going was the thought of another , or better level than hadleys hope. But I think the last 4 levels I've just been killing soldiers, and now when I see an Alien it's just pathetic now. I'd score the game 3/10 (1 point for authentic source material and 1 point for multiplayer which is okay and 1 point for the 3 levels out of 9 devoted to actually killing Aliens and not the other 6 where you just kill soldiers) Randy Pitchford is a lying sack of shit! I'm trading it tomorrow for either Sleeping Dogs or Xcom.

@AdamAsunder Alien V Predator 2010 was a pretty good title for fans of the franchises, it is a 6/10 game in my opinion but fans will see it as a good solid 7/10, not bad for a 5 bargin bin game.
  • spamdangled 17 Feb 2013 17:43:19 27,276 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ExplodingClown wrote:
    Bearing in mind how shitty the ending of Borderlands was, and how uninspired HL Opposing Force was, and Randy Pitchfraud's lies about DNF and his 'hilarious' comments about the review graphs looking like "a pair of tits", mayhap I got my hopes up too high for A:CM.

The stupidity of the story is what I can't forgive. It's like some desperate orgy of retconning to please the weenies who wanted Alien 3 to be 'moar guns and moar mareens', but too lazy to move the setting on to anywhere like a new location that would require an imagination.
    I rather liked opposing force... Always hoped the black mesa guys will take it on after theyve finished turning the xen levels into something resembling playable.

It certainly wasnt the turd that blueshift was at any rate.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:43:42 17-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• berryl227 19 Feb 2013 08:53:59 109 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I've started playing this and I went in with my eyes fully open with expectation at a all time low. I'm a huge aliens fan so just couldn't resist to be honest.

It isn't quite as bad as most people make out, although I'm playing after the patch. It is however deeply average. Animation is a bit wonky and still bugs remain friendly AI gets in the way. Etc

I'm playing on 'ultimate bad ass' and either due to design or a bug all the HUD elements are removed. This makes things much more interesting as there is no life gauge or ammo counter in the corner which helps with
    immersion and the enemies much tougher. The motion tracker becomes useful and you have to take things slow. It certainly isn't easy as some have suggested.

The graphics which have been slated certainly are not bleeding edge but do a reasonable job of recreating the aliens atmosphere. Although there are low res textures all over the place so if this grates be warned.

The sound especially through headphones is probably the highlight with authentic movie sounds and a music score which has echoes of the aliens OST.

If your a Aliens fan who can look past the faults , and there are many, I would say this is a 5-6 / 10 game as there is fun to be had. For everyone else though I would say stay well clear as there are better FPS available.

Me I love the sound of a pulse rifle and motion tracker so can squeeze out extra enjoyment from a game which should have been so much better.

Oh final comment the human enemies still suck monkey balls

Edited by berryl227 at 08:54:41 19-02-2013
  • S.J.Rogers 19 Feb 2013 08:58:31 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Whizzo 19 Feb 2013 09:00:37 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite texture in the game, I think my MS Paint skills would have been sufficient to have been a texture artist for this game.

I checked my game cache after this appeared in case I had a corrupt file or something, nope...

• Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 09:01:53 3,278 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago

No.

Pretty sure i wouldnt take a free copy off someone.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Slint1000 19 Feb 2013 09:33:20 3,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Awful awful awful and I'm so ashamed I ever bought it that I'm considering grief counseling. Just terrible.

Going to trade it in for the new Metal Gear although I might have to wear a bag over my head to conceal my identity in the shop so I don't get judged for having bought it in the first place!
  • berryl227 19 Feb 2013 09:45:46 109 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So just me enjoying it then ?

Guess that's why opinions are like assholes everyone has one :0)

Just a counterpoint to the other judgements on the game.
  • Slint1000 19 Feb 2013 09:54:09 3,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    berryl227 wrote:
    So just me enjoying it then ?.
    I think that deep down you aren't really enjoying it, it's just a defence mechanism to protect you from the horror.
    This is what's going on. I was sort of the same at first thinking "oh it's not that bad" but it really really is.
  • jellyhead 19 Feb 2013 10:00:49 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forgive me, I don't want to look but all the horror is drawing me to it.
    I'm tempted but i'll hold off until decent PC mods and a sale i think.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• bad09 19 Feb 2013 10:26:35 5,760 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Forgive me, I don't want to look but all the horror is drawing me to it.
    I'm tempted but i'll hold off until decent PC mods and a sale i think.

Yeah me to, reverse psychology in action I find myself eager to play it and watching bargain bins like a hawk. :)

Not hit my sweet spot yet but if you are interested the cheapest place so far is Simply Games they have a download of the limited Edition for just 19 quid (standard is 17). Will probably drop a lot more though in the coming weeks.

FYI people have managed to turn on some DX10 effects already (Shadows and fog I think) but a lot of the fancy stuff has been removed entirely though so you may be waiting a very long time for greats mods if it is even possible.
  • berryl227 19 Feb 2013 10:35:33 109 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slint1000 wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    berryl227 wrote:
    So just me enjoying it then ?.
    I think that deep down you aren't really enjoying it, it's just a defence mechanism to protect you from the horror.
    This is what's going on. I was sort of the same at first thinking "oh it's not that bad" but it really really is.
    Ha ha possibly.

As I said its not a good game far from it. But when it comes to aliens I'm a bit of a sucker!
  • berryl227 19 Feb 2013 10:49:24 109 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 12:51:47 3,278 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rumours of Gearbox creating fake Twitter accounts to praise the game.

If this is true.....wow.

Just wow.

• Gambit1977 19 Feb 2013 12:56:22 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

If this is true.....wow.

Just wow.
    Any other company, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But something seems off with this Pitchford guy.
  • bad09 19 Feb 2013 13:01:24 5,760 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

If this is true.....wow.

Just wow.
    I've heard of such things before, industry socks planting positive comments (or negative against rival companies) are sadly not new in this age of internet.

Also given how much Gearbox lied through their teeth in their A:CM PR shite surely it's no surprise they go to such dishonest lengths?

Edited by bad09 at 13:02:21 19-02-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 13:02:05 3,278 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its this bit that does it for me :

"A number of Twitter accounts, which were only set up recently and seem spectacularly preoccupied with Gearbox and Gearbox products, are lavishing Pitchford with praise for Colonial Marines, and they are now the only people worthy of his time. Anybody with criticism -- not just the insults and threats he mentioned last time -- is to be ignored or outright blocked."

The fact that these accounts are being set up, praising Pitchford directly and then he RESPONDS to them (but ignores/condemns criticism) definitely paints him in a bad light.

Treachery is afoot.

• Gambit1977 19 Feb 2013 13:04:30 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :lol:
    Following 1
    Followers 1
    Bullshit tweets 100s
  • Triggerhappytel 19 Feb 2013 13:13:11 2,695 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

If this is true.....wow.

Just wow.
    Any other company, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But something seems off with this Pitchford guy.
    Unbelievable, if true. This guy actually puts Molyneux in perspective. Even if the accounts are not fake, to only actively reply to those praising the game is just fucking cowardly.

I think the best thing Gearbox can do right now is hire a PR firm, apologise to fans, try to improve the game and take the blame on the chin. If this goes too far I think it will do serious damage to the company's reputation as a whole. Maybe they need a new front man to do PR work, and Pitchford steps back and becomes more of a silent CEO.
  • SBfistfun 19 Feb 2013 13:48:20 124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18enqwvbhqw5ygif/medium.gif

No.

Pretty sure i wouldnt take a free copy off someone.
    Look at it,the ultimate killing machine...
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Feb 2013 13:53:44 3,278 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

If this is true.....wow.

Just wow.
    Unbelievable, if true. This guy actually puts Molyneux in perspective. Even if the accounts are not fake, to only actively reply to those praising the game is just fucking cowardly.

I think the best thing Gearbox can do right now is hire a PR firm, apologise to fans, try to improve the game and take the blame on the chin. If this goes too far I think it will do serious damage to the company's reputation as a whole. Maybe they need a new front man to do PR work, and Pitchford steps back and becomes more of a silent CEO.

As if the game wasnt bad enough, i think the way that SEGA and Gearbox have handled the fallout has been terrible.

The only response to the criticism has been Pitchford saying he wont respond to criticism.......

• javvyman 19 Feb 2013 19:10:59 708 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Credit to Phantom_Dynamite

OMG

Edit: Can someone please embed it.

Edited by javvyman at 19:12:34 19-02-2013
  • oceanmotion 19 Feb 2013 19:18:52 15,770 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He wears a gold chain, that puts him even lower.
  • -cerberus- 19 Feb 2013 19:50:24 2,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• johnson81 19 Feb 2013 20:49:37 373 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:Any other company, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But something seems off with this Pitchford guy.
    He is a Snake Oil salesman, Pitchford is a PR guy now. I will always remember him claiming that Duke Nukem' single player was as solid as Half-Life 2's campaign.

Edited by johnson81 at 20:51:31 19-02-2013
  • Page

of 57 First / Last