of 43 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Lukus 6 Apr 2009 21:08:07 19,257 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, bump, I'm getting to the point where I can't tolerate the slow, belligerent, antiquated laptop I'm using at the moment for much longer. It's time I blew a wad of cash on some new tech. However, a year on and I still haven't really made up my mind.

Ideally I'd buy a Macbook Pro and a separate HDTV to run it (and the 360) through. But I don't want to spend as much of my savings as that would require. At least not for brand new prices.

So I guess what I want are opinions- what are my options?

•I'd like to spend less than £1000.
    •Though I want lots of power.
    •I'm not adverse to buying second hand- where would the best places for this be, online or otherwise? (I live near Birmingham.)

Paintings & Photographs

• ScoutTech 6 Apr 2009 21:15:02 2,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On a related note, with Snow leopard approaching is it worth holding fire as long as possible or do Apple normally have a period that will allow new purchesers a free os upgrade?
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 21:17:10
    You won't get a new MacBook Pro for less than £1300, so you'll have to look in the Refurb Store on Apple's site or hope for a good eBay find, really. Why do you need a MacBook Pro, though? What do you want to use it for? A new MacBook would probably blow most of your expectations out of the water, power-wise.

Also, why have a laptop with a MacBook Pro's screen spec and chain it to an HDTV? Never understood the tendency for people to do this with their computers, let alone their laptops, but that's just a personal thing I suppose. What size of HDTV were you after, and does it have to be an HDTV or would a large LCD monitor work just as well?

Answer all these pernickety but essential questions and we can start slicing hundreds of £££ of your outlay.
  • nickthegun 6 Apr 2009 21:18:12 60,505 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new macbook isnt far off the specs of an old MBP. The only real difference is the graphics card, so you might be as well looking at a new macbook, rather than an old MBP.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• SirScratchalot 6 Apr 2009 21:19:02 7,876 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @last page...
    I'm sure someone will be in to correct me but I'm pretty sure you'll get it if it's released within a month of purchase, so yes, they give a slight grace period but most likely you won't see Snow Leopard within that if you bought right now.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 21:20:11
    ScoutTech wrote:
    On a related note, with Snow leopard approaching is it worth holding fire as long as possible or do Apple normally have a period that will allow new purchesers a free os upgrade?
    I can't remember what their policy is now. I recall that if you buy a device and then that exact device is updated with new specs within a week or 30 days (I forget which) Apple will swap your model for the newly specced model. I think. I don't think they do this with the OS though.

The new OS will cost no more than £80 though (that seems to be the standard price for buying OSX on a DVD from Apple) so if there's something you want now and £80 is a price you can afford to pay in however many months it takes Apple to release Snow Leopard (and there's no definite release date afaik) then go for it.
  • nickthegun 6 Apr 2009 21:20:21 60,505 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They do give you a month or two. I remember I bought my MBP in october and I got a free upgrade to leopard in december or whenever it was.

• Deleted user 6 April 2009 21:20:58
    I stand corrected! :)
  • otto Moderator 6 Apr 2009 21:21:36 49,320 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You only get a free OS upgrade if you order the machine *after* the new OS has been announced but before it ships. But we have no idea how soon it will be announced so I wouldn't wait for that - the upgrade isn't usually too expensive.

Lukus, a Macbook Pro *and* an HDTV?!? Blimey. I think that's overkill. I have a MBP and although I *could* run it through an HDTV and a separate monitor, I never bother. I find that I'm quite happy with the 15" screen.

The MBP is a lovely machine but what do you need it for? You say you want "lots of power" - why? You might be fine with a vanilla Macbook. They're pretty good value.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• nickthegun 6 Apr 2009 21:25:15 60,505 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife runs the MBP with another big monitor for editing.

I use my macbook with with a 22" widescreen at work. I have one window open with emails and that and use the monitor for stuff im working on.

• Deleted user 6 April 2009 21:28:31
    If I was editing on it I'd use a monitor too. But hooking it up to an HDTV just for the sake of it seems a bit unnecessary.
  • nickthegun 6 Apr 2009 21:31:34 60,505 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, it depends what you need to use it for. If its fine work like photoshopping or editing, you would need the fidelity of a decent monitor, rather than an HDTV.

If its just for watching HD rips and playing games, go for it.

• SirScratchalot 6 Apr 2009 21:32:38 7,876 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I run my through my projector a lot now, It's a perfectly good games and movie system so running it through an HD tv is pretty sensible, I'm guessing he's not just thinking of checking EG through it.
  • Lukus 6 Apr 2009 22:49:42 19,257 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ooh, had to take a phone call immediately after posting, thanks for all the replies.

/reads

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 6 Apr 2009 22:58:45 19,257 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    What do you want to use it for? A new MacBook would probably blow most of your expectations out of the water, power-wise.

I'd like the higher screen res (the pros do have a higher res screen right, or is that a false memory?). I'll be using it mostly for arty/animation stuff. So, Flash, Photoshop, video editing, etc. Plus the usual, internet, blah blah.

MrED209 wrote:
    Also, why have a laptop with a MacBook Pro's screen spec and chain it to an HDTV? Never understood the tendency for people to do this with their computers, let alone their laptops, but that's just a personal thing I suppose. What size of HDTV were you after, and does it have to be an HDTV or would a large LCD monitor work just as well?

Well, I want an HDTV anyway in general, mostly for films and the Xbox, so that was just a bit of trivial information. Linking up a laptop would just be a bonus. I've toyed with the idea of getting an I-Mac, but the portability and space saving a Macbook enables would be preferable. Hooking it up to the TV would be ideal for films, or lazy days in bed. The TV isn't too important at this stage, the computer comes first.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 6 April 2009 23:32:29
    OK, how easy is it to stick a larger HD in my macbook. I'm tarting to kick myself for going with the stock option of 80gb ("It's only for Uni" I kept telling myself...). It is a core 2 duo white macbook. My main questions are:
    - how easy is it to stick in there, I have updated the ram on it before
    - does this void my AppleCare
    - is there a limit to sizes?
    - what do I do about getting all my shit and all my settings onto the new HD
    - Is there any risks
    - Where is the best places to look and how much should I be thinking of spending for the max available.

Cheers :)
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 23:38:57
    Piss easy.
  • Shinji 6 Apr 2009 23:44:08 5,903 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Easy, but yes, it does totally void your Applecare. You'll also want to be careful which drive you go for - the Apple laptops are very tightly packed with components, so you generally need to get exactly the right size of drive (in terms of thickness as well as the normal 2.5" size).

Do you really have 80GB of stuff you need to carry around with you constantly, or would an external drive to dump media and stuff onto make more sense?
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2009 23:46:36 7,760 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Pro does have a better screen, specifically the much wider viewing angle and superior colour quality than the MacBook, along with the option of using the more powerful graphics card. Have to say though, I've only used the 9600 once out of curiosity, the 9400 is a cracking little unit, no problems with it using 256 MB of the RAM (2Gig) even while playing warcraft. If you're going to be using it mainly with an external monitor, the MacBook wouldn't be such a bad choice I'd wager.
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2009 23:47:55 7,760 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno if it's piss easy to change the HD in the older white MacBook... certainly on the unibodies though.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2009 23:58:31
    Shit thought as much. I think I might look into the Time Machine thing. I really don't need all the stuff I need, but I hate the thought of being so close to the limit :(
  • Bulbatron 7 Apr 2009 00:13:37 843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got an iMac the other day. Yay! Still exploring the various features.

Wow - what a mansion!

• Deleted user 7 April 2009 00:15:25
    elstoof wrote:
    I dunno if it's piss easy to change the HD in the older white MacBook... certainly on the unibodies though.
    Changed it on my new white macbook, extremely easy.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 00:22:06
    I don't want to screw up my AppleCare as it would just be a waste.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 00:25:12
    I don't think you do, it tells you how to do it in the manual, or maybe thats the RAM? Anyhow, they're right next to each other.
  • spindizzy 7 Apr 2009 02:18:01 6,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Er, I'm almost positive that it doesn't void your AppleCare.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 07:07:59
    mowgli wrote:
    Shit thought as much. I think I might look into the Time Machine thing. I really don't need all the stuff I need, but I hate the thought of being so close to the limit :(
    No point getting a Time Capsule or using Time Machine on an external if you need extra capacity. Time Machine just backs up the contents of your hard drive.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 08:08:29
    I think his point was he'd back it up and then delete it, with the ability to restore it if required.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last