Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 58

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• Tonka 23 Jan 2018 11:43:01 27,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I find the whole thing so weird. Who is this PRO machine made for? It's overpowered and overpriced for home use but as a PRO machine it's a joke. Did anyone look at it with a critical eye before the pushed it out the door?

It's almost as if they're trying to kill off their laptop branch. Not enough profit maybe? MacOS is stealing resources from iOS?

Hopefully I can use this as a folded up desktop tower for five years and by the time I need to upgrade next time either Apple has done right or I'll just have to learn how to use Powerpoint.
  • beastmaster 23 Jan 2018 14:16:24 17,874 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was thinking of going full blown MBP but someone here suggested going for an iMac if physical space wasnít really an issue. I got the iMac 4K summer 2017 tech refresh and itís superb. Much cheaper, get more ports, none of this touchbar rubbish and a lovely 4K screen. Defo avoid the standard or hybrid drive and go full SSD.

Edit: No need for dongles

Edited by beastmaster at 14:24:42 23-01-2018
  • spindizzy 23 Jan 2018 16:18:39 7,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I find the whole thing so weird. Who is this PRO machine made for? It's overpowered and overpriced for home use but as a PRO machine it's a joke. Did anyone look at it with a critical eye before the pushed it out the door?

It's almost as if they're trying to kill off their laptop branch. Not enough profit maybe? MacOS is stealing resources from iOS?

Hopefully I can use this as a folded up desktop tower for five years and by the time I need to upgrade next time either Apple has done right or I'll just have to learn how to use Powerpoint.
    I've just got a new MBP through work and it's the first time I've ever updated when I actively miss the old one. The new keyboard is just much, much worse. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'll never think it's better. The Touch Bar is cool, but mostly just a gimmick. The fingerprint reader is cool I guess.

The USBC ports can fuck off though - I want HDMI and at least a couple of USB B. It doesn't seem any faster either.
  • Dr-Strangelove 23 Jan 2018 18:09:45 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, only reason to have the touchbar version is for the fingerprint sensor which does make life easier (especially with the 1Password integration).

Otherwise its an irritating piece of tech that I inadvertently keep on touching with my fingers and not expected things happen.

I wouldn't recommend it overall as the additional cost is quite high.
  • Bambot 24 Jan 2018 08:38:40 992 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reading that Marco piece makes me sad. So many wonderful little touches that used to make Apple products feel like someone who actually used them had designed them, ditched. And so many relatively useless and badly-implemented new additions.

I had no idea that cable winder arms and the LED had also been removed from the charge cable along with the magnet. Unbelievable. Who the fuck is designing this stuff now??
  • spindizzy 24 Jan 2018 08:56:55 7,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Reading that Marco piece makes me sad. So many wonderful little touches that used to make Apple products feel like someone who actually used them had designed them, ditched. And so many relatively useless and badly-implemented new additions.

I had no idea that cable winder arms and the LED had also been removed from the charge cable along with the magnet. Unbelievable. Who the fuck is designing this stuff now??
    The winder arms and the LED are just weird - both were very useful and it's hard to understand what technical reason there could be to remove them. The magnet I can understand, and there is a benefit to it: as amazing as magsafe was/is it's apple proprietary tech, so the addons were very limited. However with USB-C you can use anything - you can even charge your laptop from a battery pack.

As Marco said, the fingerprint reader is surely temporary - face id must be what is coming in the next update.

If work hadn't paid for this, I'd probably take it back and wait for the 2018 or 2019 model.
  • nickthegun 24 Jan 2018 09:32:09 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or at the very least bake it into the trackpad.
  • beastmaster 6 Feb 2018 21:06:57 17,874 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone going for a HomePod this Friday?
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2018 21:26:25 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The reviews I've read pop a series of painful boners about the tech and then almost apologetically mention the fact siri is a bag of arseholes and it only supports Apple Music.

The tech sounds great, though. It's got an accelerometer so it can tell if it's been moved and then will automatically retune itself within ten seconds of the next song being played. No twatting around, wafting your phone around like youre spreading incense for an exorcism.

Edited by nickthegun at 21:26:52 06-02-2018
  • Dirtbox 6 Feb 2018 23:53:18 89,815 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Might make a good semen container for the prats that think it's worth bothering with.
  • Dirtbox 12 Feb 2018 17:15:54 89,815 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So I'm reading a lot of homepod reviews and "halfbaked" and "should have been delayed for another year" seem to be the key takeaways. You can't set it up without an ipad or iphone and it needs apple music. On top of that, Siri is still a few years behind the competition so all in all it's really got a lot going for it yet.
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2018 17:55:07 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As much of a walled garden as IOS is, you can at least use an alternative (google) app for almost everything, which makes switching between IOS and Android a piece of piss. I did it myself in just a few minutes, itís pretty much seamless.

Releasing something that supports and, indeed, requires nothing but apple stuff is just mental. If you buy one, you can never change environments again otherwise your fucking speakers wonít work. I like the look of them and they are supposed to sound great. I would definitely be thinking about one if it didnít mean I would need an IOS device for the rest of its natural life.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2018 17:56:12 21,208 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    So I'm reading a lot of homepod reviews and "halfbaked" and "should have been delayed for another year" seem to be the key takeaways. You can't set it up without an ipad or iphone and it needs apple music. On top of that, Siri is still a few years behind the competition so all in all it's really got a lot going for it yet.
    Did you read those reviews with your tinkle in your hand?
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2018 18:27:38 27,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What all those reviewers are missing is that HomePod isn't a smart speaker. It's not even a SONOS styled WiFi/Bluetooth speaker.

It's an iOS+Apple music accessory and as such it's fenomenal. Everyone who buys one will know this and will be very pleased.

It will outsell the SONOS stuff and that cool alienskull looking speaker with a French name.
  • reviewer 12 Feb 2018 18:33:12 4,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It looks great as a speaker but without being able to connect to anything but the Apple devices and music I'll never have an interest.

I have seen a lot of criticism of how bad Siri is now though.
  • reviewer 12 Feb 2018 18:35:03 4,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Strange they can make a great sounding speaker but still put out terrible earphones too.
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2018 20:02:46 19,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok, what am I missing with other music software that makes Apple Music so shit? All I do is put albums on and listen to them, donít use Siri or anything like that, seems to do everything I want but should I be wanting more?
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2018 20:19:39 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not that it's shit it's just one of a hundred streaming services that everyone uses.

On an average day working from home, I'll listen to a bit of Spotify, a bit of SoundCloud, maybe a few mixes on mixcloud and some tunein radio, none of which it supports.

Hell, tunein is probably my most used streaming service since I just leave the radio on all day like an old man.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:20:27 12-02-2018
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2018 20:23:50 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose it's like them releasing an Apple TV and only allowing content from the iTunes store
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2018 20:25:15 19,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, Iíve never been into streaming, probably explains it. Still buying albums and selecting them from the column view list like its 2003
  • erniewhatbert 12 Feb 2018 20:26:55 2,832 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Ok, what am I missing with other music software that makes Apple Music so shit? All I do is put albums on and listen to them, donít use Siri or anything like that, seems to do everything I want but should I be wanting more?
    I subbed Spotify Premium for 8 years and changed to Apple Music for a free trial six months ago. Thereís nothing between them.
  • askew 12 Feb 2018 20:30:35 16,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apple Music now beating Spotify in the US.

By all accounts the HomePod sounds fantastic, but yeah. I donít want to stream Spotify over AirPlay from my phone: I want to get access to the whole shebang.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2018 20:32:01 21,208 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Nothing, I had Spotify then Todal, switched to Apple Music , it's totally fine and I like having one app that I use for listening to music whether it's my own or streamed.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 16:51:56 27,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is there a way to get photos and video onto an iPad that doesn't involve iCloud?

The photos and videos are currently stored in the Google photos cloud.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2018 16:54:18 10,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think thereís a google photos app. And if not thereís a billion other photo apps.
  • TheSaint 14 Feb 2018 16:54:53 17,526 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Via the Google Photos app?
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2018 17:21:07 72,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or airdrop them from your MacBook.
  • askew 14 Feb 2018 17:23:05 16,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isnít there some dongle for the iPad that takes SD cards and will take your photos off it?

(But no other file types, oh no.)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2018 17:33:28 10,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 18:54:19 27,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have the dongle for the old port. Am currently using the Google photos app but it seems that Google didn't do a good job on the download part.

Wasn't there some new file manager app for iOS? Or was that only for the iPad pro?

Found it
    https://m.imore.com/files-app

Edited by Tonka at 18:56:49 14-02-2018
  • Page

of 59 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.