Microsoft took away my Achievements and Live Arcade titles, just because I moved country

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • bronze Technology Manager, Electronic Arts 31 Jan 2008 14:59:49 23 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2008 15:03:44 54,207 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moving licences cross country is about as tortuous an experience as you could imagine. I'm not surprised MS doesn't have a policy for it as they'd basically need to negotiate with about 3 different people for each game to make it happen.

The best thing you could do is change your account details to that of a friend in the UK and buy the points cards.
  • Jim.Jupiter 31 Jan 2008 15:04:32 26 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe you could have just bought points cards. And some tissues.
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2008 15:05:34 54,207 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would also suggest tissues. J.J is a stand-up guy for covering all the bases.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2008 15:07:41
    keep ringing them until you get what you want. they should back down eventually.

congrats on your new move, the weather here is rainy and overcast. England sucks Lol
  • Machetazo 31 Jan 2008 15:11:56 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Take to buying points cards. I doubt there'll be any issue with countries (all Europe, so shouldn't be an issue, i'd have thought) and you can enjoy the Arcade games you want to.
  • Mr_Brown 31 Jan 2008 15:18:23 993 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, sounds bad. I would understand if you moved to Asia or America, but Spain resides in the PAL territory, so theres no difference in XBL Marketplace.

Hope you get it sorted. Specially the Arcade games as you did purchase them after all.

Vita: GameOverYeah

• FairgroundTown 31 Jan 2008 15:18:35 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well this sucks, I have to say.

I guess it needs someone to take them to court, because I'm sure this would be illegal under EU law - free movement of goods and services and all that.

Slightly OT... this is why I don't buy downloads - not games, or music - there is just no reason to trust any of the vendors, to whom you are just a wallet to be raided.
  • JonFE 31 Jan 2008 15:21:25 1,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Moving licences cross country is about as tortuous an experience as you could imagine. I'm not surprised MS doesn't have a policy for it as they'd basically need to negotiate with about 3 different people for each game to make it happen.

I don't get it. What is there to negotiate? Unless the purchased Live Arcade games are not for sale in Spain at all, all the necessary negotiations should be covered by the XBLA publishing rights. Am I missing something vital here?

As for the OP, are you not able to login to XBL with your old Gamertag anymore? Are your achievements and games actually gone, because the title implies so, yet your text makes no such mention...

/feels a bit jumpy 'cause his launch x360 RRoD'ed last night :{
  • Psychotext 31 Jan 2008 15:23:59 54,207 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    I don't get it. What is there to negotiate? Unless the purchased Live Arcade games are not for sale in Spain at all, all the necessary negotiations should be covered by the XBLA publishing rights. Am I missing something vital here?
    You're assuming that MS has the same agreements in place for sales in Spain as the UK. If MS had been the publisher for all these titles then I very much doubt there would have been an issue.
    As for the OP, are you not able to login to XBL with your old Gamertag anymore? Are your achievements and games actually gone, because the title implies so, yet your text makes no such mention...
    It was for dramatic effect.
  • Luvbeers 31 Jan 2008 15:26:11 918 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes this is a huge draw back. I am british working in Austria and some DLC comes in only bloody deutsch for example.

If I was you I would just buy prepaid GP from now on.
  • Khanivor 31 Jan 2008 15:26:54 40,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've the same issue after moving to the US. Well, I haven't changed my billing address so still have access to my Gamertag and all that but I am still using the UK marketplace. I will also need to buy points and subs using British pounds on a UK card which is going to suck big ones what with the exchange rate being in the toilet.

MS really should have a system in place to allow for account migrations.
  • JonFE 31 Jan 2008 15:33:55 1,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    You're assuming that MS has the same agreements in place for sales in Spain as the UK. If MS had been the publisher for all these titles then I very much doubt there would have been an issue.

You could be right here. However, one would think that all companies releasing XBLA games have to agree on the same distribution terms with MS, having in mind that games cost the same throughout the distribution channel, get released on the same day etc.

After all, I thought that the introduction of Microsoft points was to minimize logistics nightmares...
  • Super_Zee 31 Jan 2008 16:42:17 2,110 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Same happened to me and I'm really pissed. From another thread:

Super_Zee wrote:
    So, even though I live in Canada, have a 360 I bought here and have changed my locale on my profile to "Canada", I still can't use the 1400 points that I bought here? Thanks a bunch, Microsoft. Their only solution - create a new profile to use the points. So I did, as the wife wanted Boogie Bunnies.

Which means that, after spending 800 points on said Bunnies, I'm 200 points short for Rez. The smallest denomination I can buy at the awful game shops here is 1400 and I'm fucked if I'm going to buy another one in the space of two weeks. And I've still got 300 points on my original profile, ready to go, but they won't transfer them.
    Still no Rez.

Grr.
  • Tonka 31 Jan 2008 16:50:00 20,430 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You work in the games industry and live in Spain...

Why can't I feel your pain?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• DodgyPast 31 Jan 2008 17:13:26 8,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do find the whole localisatio0n thing a complete nightmare.

Already having lived in one country and contemplating another move in the future this is one of the biggest put offs of buying an XBox 360.

Thye most concerning bit is the whole attitude of 'fuck off, we don't care' when this effects a customer is pretty nasty.
  • JediMasterMalik 31 Jan 2008 17:14:08 11,820 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol

You make it sound like mocing country is a small thing! :D
  • jellyhead 31 Jan 2008 17:23:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well it does seem to me that MS have not given much thought to their back office procedures at all and their DRM is a little inflexible too. Xbox dies and you have to create a new profile and transfer points and re-down load all that you had before.

It's hardly "User Friendly" is it?
    I'd expect more from such a large and experienced company.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Cuchulainn 31 Jan 2008 17:28:38 845 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Same for me when I moved from Germany to the UK.

Ended up having to make a new user account. Really huge problem with live and for no apparent reason..
  • SomaticSense 1 Feb 2008 17:55:16 8,321 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, another example of the fucked up way MS have handled the 'user-friendliness' of the 360.

On one side I love the 360 for the gaming experiences it has given me (probably the best console I've had since the Mega Drive), but on the other I absolutely hate it because of the way MS has managed both shockingly poor build quality, terrible customer service (in my experience), AND appalling draconian limitations in the user-friendliness aspect of it.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 16:46:01
    The billing address hasn't anything to do with it mate. I have Live since 360's debut, and at that time there wasn't Live in Portugal, so I used a friends adress in the UK but I used my credit card from Portugal. It's working ever since. And I have no intentions of changing it to Portugal's servers.
    I recomend that you change the adress back to where it was and go from there. Forget the change you gain nothing with that. Never change anything that's working, that's my motto.
    And, if not confortable with the credit card thing, use pre-paid cards.
    Note: you can use any address.

"Xbox dies and you have to create a new profile and transfer points and re-down load all that you had before"
    Also not true, just do "recover gamertag" and every Achievement comes along.

Another tip: oftenly helpdesk guys don't really know these stuff, better ask on the foruns before screwing stuff up. Although in this case I pretty sure you can recover your gamertag. It's even legal, because MS only uses GeoIP for downloading purposes, for the Gamertag they don't care where you conect.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next