Apple TV Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 February 2013 10:37:14
    The $99=99 isn't as big a difference as claimed either. Vat at 20% + exchange rate + currency risk + higher distribution costs.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 10:37:26
    Just put xbmc on it.
  • crashVoodoo 3 Feb 2013 10:54:45 3,858 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Just put xbmc on it.
    This. If you have a nas/server with content it really is the mutts nuts.

You could also install icefilms

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• IJ 3 Feb 2013 11:02:02 819 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I love my Apple TV and use it constantly, though I admit if I didn't subscribe to netflix it would be used a lot less. But for ease of use and airplay its great as well.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Feb 2013 11:04:04 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sort of related, I tried to rent looper and judge dread last weekend. Tried itunes, android, ps3 and xboxs. No one had them to rent, just to buy. So I pirated them instead. idiots.
  • yegon 3 Feb 2013 11:28:23 5,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No jailbreak for ATV3 so xbmc is out unless you own/seek out an ATV2.

I'd think Apple TV was garbage too if I didn't have it networked to my Mac mini and iTunes. For that purpose its great, the only downer being I have to remux mkv's to mp4, but that only takes 30 seconds per file, so a quick batch convert and Im all set. Airplay is pretty sweet too.

For a long time I used a PS3 with a massive hdd as a media centre but ATV is so much more seamless. It'd be a doorstop without my own content though.

I do miss some of the fine tuning controls though, like goto time etc. Apple and their silly obsession with simplicity for the sake of it. Equally, I don't use the pathetic remote. Logitech Harmony One ftw.

Edited by yegon at 11:45:39 03-02-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 24 Feb 2013 02:43:18 13,258 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just applied the Jailbreak to my ATV2 and dropped XBMC on there. Fuck me, but I'd forgotten how depressingly built some of this community stuff is. Hats off for the achievement, but the UX/UI is hilariously bad in places. And some of those skins...

Now to sort out the NAS, as it appears my hard drives didn't survive the move to the new apartment. :-/

Does anyone have any recommendations for something reasonably priced NAS wise that'll play nice with the ATV? Any funky features it's worth looking out for to enable more addons to do awesome things? What're people's most used addons and why? Oh jesus... I sound like BlizeH.
  • nickthegun 24 Feb 2013 07:58:25 59,316 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A synology box. They are lovely.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• rare_uk 24 Feb 2013 09:37:35 3,562 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a Zyxel NSA325 and it works fine with my Apple TV XBMC. You could consider nsa320 if budget is tighter.
  • crashVoodoo 26 Feb 2013 00:50:19 3,858 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Just applied the Jailbreak to my ATV2 and dropped XBMC on there. Fuck me, but I'd forgotten how depressingly built some of this community stuff is. Hats off for the achievement, but the UX/UI is hilariously bad in places. And some of those skins...

Now to sort out the NAS, as it appears my hard drives didn't survive the move to the new apartment. :-/

Does anyone have any recommendations for something reasonably priced NAS wise that'll play nice with the ATV? Any funky features it's worth looking out for to enable more addons to do awesome things? What're people's most used addons and why? Oh jesus... I sound like BlizeH.
    Built my own from loads of old spare parts. I'd initially got it running via an old busted laptop and its work perfectly for nearly a year. Decided to up the game with storage.

Its running ubuntu 12.04 server and its headless so its all managed via web apps or ssh. webmin is the app for all the main system management or via ssh.

Alongside the boring stuff its also rocking sabnzbd, couch potato and sick beard doing pretty much everything automatically and filing it all away on the shared drives ready for viewing via the xbmc on the atv.

I've also got deluge on there which is a web based torrent app and subsonic for music.

sabnzbd
    sickbeard
    couchpotato
    deluge
    webmin
    subsonic
    newznab

Edited by crashVoodoo at 01:06:18 26-02-2013

• Phattso Moderator 26 Feb 2013 02:42:22 13,258 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers for all the suggestions, peeps. Much appreciated.
  • mrpon 1 Apr 2013 13:38:12 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had another tinker with this over the bank holiday. I never realised it can stream DVD mp4 rips from your iTunes video library using Home Sharing. I always thought it was just iTunes purchases. Could be a winner for me.

Only downside is, you must have iTunes running on a PC/Mac. Kinda defeats the object of the NAS, but that's the way Apple works unfortunately. So currently looking at cheap Mac Minis on eBay as a potential workaround or I've read talk of Raspberry Pi running iTunes as well.

Could be useful for someone not wanting to jailbreak.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 2 Apr 2013 13:46:36 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a bump to this, I also never realised that turning on Home Sharing also enables the Sharing tab in the Videos app on the iPad/Touch. Good streaming results on most things but certain higher bandwidth rips struggle on wifi and therefore need to be viewed on the ethernet connected ATV.

I also re-instigated getiplayer and the resulting MP4 files work fabulously with all of the above. Even better, as the metadata is generated automatically, episode descriptions, thumbnail art etc..

Think I'm in the market for a second ATV now.

• THFourteen 2 Apr 2013 13:48:59 33,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unrelated but I'd quite like a way of connecting my ipad mini up to the tv in the kitchen for streaming whilst I'm cooking or eating. But 40 quid for the lightning to hdmi adapter! I might as well buy the apple tv!
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 14:30:21 86,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone else had issue renting/playing bought cloud movies on the ATV?

I recently upgraded my broadband to fibre and for the first time found myself able to stream HD content, so started using the ATV a bit more. And it was brilliant for a while, but recently it's become total shit, needing 7-9 hours before being being ready to play a film, and sometimes not working at all. Resets seem to do nothing.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2013 14:35:28 10,502 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Has anyone else had issue renting/playing bought cloud movies on the ATV?

I recently upgraded my broadband to fibre and for the first time found myself able to stream HD content, so started using the ATV a bit more. And it was brilliant for a while, but recently it's become total shit, needing 7-9 hours before being being ready to play a film, and sometimes not working at all. Resets seem to do nothing.
    No, streaming from the cloud has been fine. I doubt it makes a difference but I use a US account which is usually ready to play in seconds.
    I did have some issues streaming from another computer a month or two but it *seems* to be resolved now.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• mrpon 18 Dec 2013 09:11:40 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sky Sports added to Apple TV in UK.

Source

• CharlieStCloud 18 Dec 2013 09:20:51 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At first, I thought it said 9.99 a month.

... but 9.99 for ONE DAY?!

Whoever pays for this 'service' is a mug of the highest order.

Christ almighty.

: (

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 09:22:20 18-12-2013
  • fletch7100 18 Dec 2013 09:29:41 7,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or buy the iOS app for the iPhone which works on the IPad( no IPad version) which gives you all sky sports for 5 a month rolling contract. Won't let you TV out the channels unless you jail break the device I believe
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Dec 2013 09:50:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fletch7100

That's miles better!

... even if they offered twice that for 10 a month on a rolling contract, people would bite.

Probably me too.
  • mrpon 2 Jun 2014 07:41:11 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WWDC 2014 streams live on Apple TV tonight from 6pm UK.

Edited by mrpon at 07:41:24 02-06-2014

• THFourteen 2 Jun 2014 09:29:20 33,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My apple TV keeps cutting out and losing network connection, whether its on netflix or airplay or anything.

Load of shite.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jun 2014 09:46:23 10,502 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    My apple TV keeps cutting out and losing network connection, whether its on netflix or airplay or anything.

Load of shite.
    Mine streams perfectly every time but it's connected via ethernet.
    I take it your issues are using Wi-Fi?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• THFourteen 2 Jun 2014 09:49:25 33,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, wifi. My chromecast however works perfectly.

Might buy a second one, they are awesome
  • uiruki 2 Jun 2014 09:59:40 3,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has it always done that? Sounds like it needs a trip to an apple store.
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2014 10:28:16 33,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They'll just tell me its a problem with my router or something.

Might try a full restore from itunes maybe
  • spindizzy 20 Jun 2014 10:39:51 6,432 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AppleTV as homekit hub?

This is quite a good idea actually, if only Apple can convince manufacturers to get onboard.

Since I've just gone all-in on Z wave motion sensors and switches etc, it's not so interesting for me (unless of course, someone makes a z wave/homekit adaptor)
  • crashVoodoo 29 Jun 2014 15:47:47 3,858 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got yahtze or some app on my phone now and I basically treat the ATV+xbmc like a Chromecast. Think it might be worth flogging it and just getting a Chromecast until android TV comes out.

A jail broken atv2 should be worth a few quid right?

• mrpon 29 Jun 2014 23:06:46 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    200+ let me know how you clear yours down if you do.

• crashVoodoo 30 Jun 2014 13:52:14 3,858 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mrpon I'll just reflash the jail broken image, its still on the laptop somewhere I'm sure. I iirc the whole process only took about 15-20 mins

• Page

of 9 First / Last