Apple TV Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• mrpon 8 Mar 2012 17:01:54 29,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I rent HD films from the Apple US Store for 3 or 4 $ a pop, don't see what's so extortionate...
    Try 4.49 for new HD rentals in the UK Apple Store. Which are normally available over 1 cheaper elsewhere, ie: Zune.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Flightrisker 11 Mar 2012 21:46:22 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the apple tv content limited by where you live? Seems a good service but just afraid I'll plug it in here (Amsterdam) and just have crap.

Cheers!
  • Tonka 2 Apr 2012 07:17:38 20,887 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes it's limited to where you live.

my question: If I use my iPad to start a film from the Apple Store, is it then streamed directly to the Apple TV or does it go via the iPad for the duration?

And how does it work if I watch a film from a website?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• spindizzy 2 Apr 2012 07:51:42 6,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Yes it's limited to where you live.
    It's actually limited to where your account is registered. I live in Switzerland and have the UK store. A colleague has a german account and his wife has a US account. They get to use either.

my question: If I use my iPad to start a film from the Apple Store, is it then streamed directly to the Apple TV or does it go via the iPad for the duration?
    That depends. If the film is physically on the iPad (or iPhone) then it will stream from there. But the AppleTV should know about all films you've bought and be able to stream them. Rentals are weird. The AppleTV doesn't seem to be able to rent films - you rent on a computer and stream from that (I HATE this, and would like someone from Apple to explain why this is).

And how does it work if I watch a film from a website?
    What do you mean? The AppleTV doesn't have a web browser. Or you mean you want to stream a film from a website on your iPad to the AppleTV? That works fine. You just have to make sure Airplay is enabled on the AppleTV.
  • Tonka 2 Apr 2012 08:03:06 20,887 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for your answers, very informative indeed.
    How do I set up a US account? The Swedish itunes store is laughable.

WRT my last question. A lot of Swedish TV stations have so called "Play channels" where you can see their shows after they have been aired. I know I can mirror these onto my TV if I bought an Apple TV. But I wonder if they have to pass through my iPad before they go on the screen.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm slightly worried that the framerate will suffer from the signal being encoded/decoded twice.

• kalel 2 Apr 2012 08:54:27 88,517 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Rentals are weird. The AppleTV doesn't seem to be able to rent films - you rent on a computer and stream from that (I HATE this, and would like someone from Apple to explain why this is).
    This is incorrect. You can rent films directly through the Apple TV.
  • spindizzy 2 Apr 2012 09:05:07 6,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Thanks for your answers, very informative indeed.
    How do I set up a US account? The Swedish itunes store is laughable.
    No idea I'm afraid! I guess you need a US credit card. :-/

WRT my last question. A lot of Swedish TV stations have so called "Play channels" where you can see their shows after they have been aired. I know I can mirror these onto my TV if I bought an Apple TV. But I wonder if they have to pass through my iPad before they go on the screen.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm slightly worried that the framerate will suffer from the signal being encoded/decoded twice.
    Right, so I've found this works great for the websites where it works. I don't think it's re-encoded - it just streams the h264 across. But this is also the problem - I bet quite a few of these websites are flash and this won't work. I think that with h264 there are DRM issues (as in, no DRM) which is a major reason why studios etc won't move on, yet.

Edit: @kalel Yes, you're right and I'm mixing things up. If you rent directly on the AppleTV then it works. If you rent on a laptop, the AppleTV doesn't show the rental (even though it works the other way around I think). I'd just rather use the computer to select films, as good as the AppleTV interface is.

Edited by spindizzy at 09:06:28 02-04-2012
  • Deleted user 2 April 2012 09:14:04
    Tethered jailbreak is out for the ATV2. Still waiting on the ATV3
  • kalel 26 Apr 2012 10:37:03 88,517 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit annoying you can't get cheapo Apple TV 2s now.
  • mrpon 26 Apr 2012 11:46:34 29,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, stupidly on Amazon the latest model is cheaper than the previous. Looking to pick up another myself cheapo style.

• kalel 26 Apr 2012 11:48:59 88,517 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's annoying Apple themselves haven't continued to sell them. Considering all the new one does is 1080p, and some people don't even have 1080p tellies, it would make sense to continue selling the old one at a cheaper price point (as they have done with the ipad 2).
  • mrpon 26 Apr 2012 11:57:06 29,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guy selling the latest model for 83 delivered on eBay tempted me.

• Dougs 26 Apr 2012 11:57:16 68,544 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    30 more expensive! Didn't realise Apple had discontinued them, silly.
  • kalel 26 Apr 2012 12:23:01 88,517 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck it. I'll just get the new one, stick that on the good telly, and stick my old one on the shit telly. Justified!

Also I like how some guy on Amazon is selling an old one, used, for 500.
  • Flying_Pig 1 Jun 2012 09:26:08 11,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just looking at this - looks brilliant (although a shame it doesn't do LoveFilm). A few quick questions:
    - would it be able to find photos/films/music on my NAS?
    - can it be used as a PVR (linked to aforementioned NaS)?
    - is the whole AirPlay thing as good and easy as it looks?
    - does wireless streaming work well enough?

Thanks in advance :)
  • spindizzy 1 Jun 2012 09:33:50 6,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm. Others might need to confirm the NAS stuff, but for the Airplay and streaming, yeah both work really well.

For the NAS, I think the answer is likely to be no, as in general the content needs to be in iTunes (and bear in mind that the AppleTV will only play h264 unless you jailbreak it). That said, there are some NAS's which claim to be iTunes compatible, whatever that means, so maybe there is a way around.

I love my AppleTV. It's ace. The only slight bummer is the h264 limitation, and that you need to use iTunes. I now tend to use Handbrake to convert files, iDentity to add the meta-data so it's nicely sorted in iTunes, and I store the content on an external network drive, with iTunes just linking to that.
  • KayJay 1 Jun 2012 17:07:54 5,289 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @spindizzy
    "iDentity to add the meta-data so it's nicely sorted in iTunes"

Say what?
    I've not heard of this and a Google search is more or less useless. :)
    I assume this is a piece of software. Could you hook me up with a link?

Edited by KayJay at 17:10:52 01-06-2012
  • mrpon 1 Jun 2012 17:42:02 29,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't forget about Netflix FP! Works great and streams lovely over wifi. As spin mentioned, you need to jailbreak to get all the juicy goodness for NAS functionality eg: Plex, XBMC etc.. AirPlay is good, but not every video playing app supports it.

• Flying_Pig 1 Jun 2012 22:12:45 11,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks lads. Netflix is tempting, but am already a LoveFilm subscriber.

I'll look into the whole jail breaking thang...
  • Flightrisker 5 Aug 2012 15:07:11 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In Netherland we don't have Netflix yet despite so much other stuff being legal here. From the Apple store it seems all I can do in Netherlands with this would be the stream movies. Is it still worth getting then do you think? What about Spotify integration? Also if I download a video on my MAc will I then be able to stream it over? Currently I'm usually converting and then bringing it onto my PS3 to watch.

I basically am looking for an excuse to buy this despite not fully understanding what I'd use it for. Just have a need to buy something new :)
  • Deleted user 5 August 2012 15:11:48
    You can't jailbreak and ATV3 yet. Obviously you can use a DNS service such as tunlr to things like netflix.
  • TarickStonefire 6 Aug 2012 12:25:34 3,257 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Flightrisker 6 Aug 2012 15:32:37 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • greg_wha 19 Aug 2012 14:24:58 192 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone tried the Mountain Lion wifi screen mirroring on a iMac via ATV to a HDTV? Any good?
  • Blaizefm 19 Aug 2012 16:01:42 232 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @greg_wha I've used it once, streaming from Iplayer on my iMac. Apart from some weirdness with resolution setting it worked flawlessly for three hours (I was watching the opening Olympic ceremony). I don't think I will use it religiously but in a pinch it worked quite well.
  • greg_wha 19 Aug 2012 16:08:35 192 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Blaizefm It's a handy feature for me; my TV only has HDMI inputs and I'm just about to cancel Sky so will be streaming stuff like iPlayer, 4OD etc. The PS3 is apps are abit buggy.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Feb 2013 10:00:00 5,317 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bumpity-bump.

Got an Apple TV for Christmas.

Are they taking the fucking piss with their rental prices?!

4.49 ... that is only 50p cheaper than a months worth for LoveFilm.

Some ancient films that I was browsing are not only unavailable to rent, they politely request 9.99 to purchase.

Not only that, I would say the vast majority of films are not even subtitled.

99 for an Apple TV and since everything is digital, doesn't have any special features, no box, no DVD, no leaflet nor booklet, how on Earth are they justifying the absurd prices...?

I think Brave is something like 5.49 to rent and 13.99 to buy ...

... Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

An agreeable article called 'why Apple TV is useless in the UK' sums it up best:

I like the idea of the Apple TV, but like those European adverts something goes horribly wrong when it has to cross the sea to get to Britain.

The price goes up for starters - $99 becomes 99, which either means VAT went up to 50% last night when nobody was looking or Apple's taking the mickey - but more importantly, many of the good bits disappear.

If you look at the US page for the Apple TV, there's a whole section dedicated to HD TV Shows: "Instant TV rentals. Just 99c." On the UK page, there isn't anything. That's because Apple doesn't have the UK deals in place to deliver TV rentals, so there's a big hole in the Apple TV's feature list.

Film rentals aren't much better. Fancy renting Chris Morris's Four Lions? You can't: it's buy-only. Hot Tub Time Machine? Buy only. Zombieland? Buy only. Anchorman? Buy only.
    Edited by CharlieStCloud at 10:05:00 03-02-2013
  • frugtkompot 3 Feb 2013 10:04:30 2,819 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You just have to accept that Apple TV is only really useful if you're into Netflix and / or Airplay.
  • Tonka 3 Feb 2013 10:31:58 20,887 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It just works!

• Deleted user 3 February 2013 10:32:52
    I'm surprised that you seem surprised by the prices. Get Netflix then rent/buy for the 1% of the time you want the film and it isn't there.

Does seem a bit odd to complain about those prices when a DVD/bluray would also be far more expensive. Pay less for slightly worse quality and smaller range or pay more to have it early.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last