Looking for turn based war/strategy games Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Phreedh 17 Jan 2008 07:24:16 683 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Jagged Alliance 2 is ALL YOU NEED.
    While a good game, it's most defenitely not what I'm after - and I do already own it. =)

So far, I've only checked out Commander - Europe At War but it seems I'll actually buy this as the demo got me hooked. Got that Panzer General feel to it. Me likes! Doesn't seem to be a windows demo available though, I've been playing the somewhat sluggish and unresponsive OS X demo, but it's still fun.

Hearts of Iron Anthology (1, 2 and both expansions for 2) has been uhm... acquired for evaluation purposes. Haven't tried it so far.

I just looked up Advanced Tactics, that looks great. I'll probably much about for Commander a while now, but when I've conquered the world there Advanced Tactics seems like a good spot to continue.

Cheers all for your tips!
  • Clive_Dunn 17 Jan 2008 08:04:21 4,762 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phreedh wrote:
    Hearts of Iron Anthology (1, 2 and both expansions for 2) has been uhm... acquired for evaluation purposes. Haven't tried it so far.

I consider "acquiring" a Paradox game to be a heinous and unforgivable crime. They are a small developer who publish high quality, niche market stuff, and if that isn't worth a tenner than I don't know what is. Grrrr.
  • Phreedh 17 Jan 2008 08:59:57 683 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Phreedh wrote:
    I consider "acquiring" a Paradox game to be a heinous and unforgivable crime. They are a small developer who publish high quality, niche market stuff, and if that isn't worth a tenner than I don't know what is. Grrrr.
    Which is the reason I'll buy it once I see how it runs and if I enjoy it. I pay for all my games, all my movies and all my music. It's not like I'm sodomizing a pony or something...
  • SirScratchalot 17 Jan 2008 09:04:59 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Operational Art of War is every grognards wet dream. Scenarios that are available range from Civ size world war threes, covering every square inch of the planet through to the Korean war and a personal fave in a Sweden-Norway conflict.

Also, my brother swears by Gar Grigsbys World At War sounds like just what you're looking for and is sworn to be awesome by my brother.
  • Phreedh 17 Jan 2008 09:34:29 683 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damnit SirScratchAlot... Both those games look hella sweet! Now I'm getting a bit swamped with options here! =( and =D

I'm predicting a severe drop in 360 activity from now on. =)
  • jellyhead 17 Jan 2008 10:10:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're going to have a beard and a lovely cardigan soon too i bet, phreedh. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Phreedh 17 Jan 2008 11:14:16 683 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    You're going to have a beard and a lovely cardigan soon too i bet, phreedh. :)
    Bit too close to the truth there... actually haven't shaved for a week!
  • Ocrovastru 17 Jan 2008 11:54:44 602 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    Jagged Alliance 2 is ALL YOU NEED.

Damn right sir! Still playing it to this very day. It is one of the first things that goes on my pc after a fresh format.
  • Dangerous_Dan 11 Feb 2013 09:36:45 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    War in the East, the hex-based war game but very expensive and time consuming.

Wargame: European Escalation - not turn based but could still be interesting for you.

Unity of command - hex-based, turn-based, operational level

You may also check out the Three moves ahead podcast, it deals with all sorts of strategy and tactical games but there is also an emphasis on old war games and board games and, it's not over-zealous fools all trying to babble at the same time as a lot of podcasts are. 3MA link to War in the East
  • Dangerous_Dan 12 Feb 2013 10:28:24 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phreedh The 3MA podcast did an episode on Unity of Command recently, nice hex game.
  • andytheadequate 12 Feb 2013 12:14:41 7,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I nearly bought unity of command as it was in the sale, but decided against it until I had tried the demo.

Anyone played it?
  • RunningMan 12 Feb 2013 12:35:10 2,356 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played it and love the interface. I do find it hard as nails in some of the scenarios as the tutorial do a crap job of explaining the core supply mechanic. There's an awesome game in there, I just haven't clicked yet with it. Another thing is that you only have so many moves to complete some tasks, so it becomes more of a puzzle game.
  • Stickman 4 Mar 2013 18:35:35 29,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Panzer Corps.

That is all.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 4 March 2013 18:40:47
    Dangerous Dan, you do realise you were answering a question from 5 years ago there? Lol...
  • Stickman 6 Mar 2013 11:26:10 29,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Panzer Corps.

That is all.
    Yeah, been playing this for a couple of days now and it is Panzer General in all but name. Nice touch is that you can buy campaign packs for each year of the war, so instead of 'invade Poland', you get that split into two or three missions instead. S'good.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• RedSparrows 30 Apr 2013 18:36:05 20,756 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking for something tactical, more than strategic. I got Civ for that, and lots of other stuff.

I want turn-based battles, either RPG OR Strategy genre. There can be some strategy, but the king has to be the tactical.

Anyone got a recc? I like the sound of some of these more strategic games in here too.
  • Fork_Handles 1 May 2013 10:12:57 29 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RedSparrows If you have any interest in modern or WW2 tactical battles, I'd recommend the Combat Mission games from Battlefront. They have pretty decent demos for their games too, so worth a look in my opinion.
  • Mola_Ram 1 May 2013 10:18:00 6,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Advance Wars on an emulator.
  • Stickman 1 May 2013 11:38:35 29,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hard to see past the Combat Missions really.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Nexus_6 1 May 2013 11:53:50 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Battle Isle for the Amiga. Played the cover disk demo for about a year. Excellent stuff
  • AccidentProne 1 May 2013 12:02:05 1,128 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Used to love the Battle Isle games, Incubation and Historyline too. Any modern equivalents?

The Anno games maybe? Seeing as they're from Blue Byte or are they not really comparable?
  • THFourteen 1 May 2013 12:07:09 31,806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I'm looking for something tactical, more than strategic. I got Civ for that, and lots of other stuff.

I want turn-based battles, either RPG OR Strategy genre. There can be some strategy, but the king has to be the tactical.

Anyone got a recc? I like the sound of some of these more strategic games in here too.
    Could give Might and Magic a go TBH
  • andytheadequate 1 May 2013 12:46:27 7,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RedSparrows - Unity of Command is an amazing game. It's an operation level game, with a strong emphasis on supply lines.

Also, try Memoir 44 on steam, it's a free version of the WW2 based board game
  • gekes 1 May 2013 19:35:21 1 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Hi there,

I also look for a vintage game, but for a very specific one. Problem is I can't remember its name. I played it back in the 90s. It was a turn based strategy game. It is set in the middle ages the player being a viking. The player could choose to be a warrior or shield maiden. When making raids, you could choose to be one of three or so types of fighters, one of them was a berserker (you would have two swords). I remember also that the ultimate goal was to become king/queen of Scandinavia. The player had to look after the economy, could make raids and fight one-on-one battles (like in Defender of the Crown).

Any ideas what that one might have been?
  • BeheretiK 1 May 2013 19:51:07 858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:

What about Eador: Masters of the Broken World?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/232050

I know nothing about the game myself as it was only released a week or so ago. The videos looks nice enough and certainly looks like it has some depth to it.

RPS did a (mostly) positive review yesterday as well:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/30/masters-of-a-broken-world-review/

Unfortunately it does appear to be a bit buggy as well so I have personally held off on buying it just yet, but it could turn out worth it in time...

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• hiddenranbir 2 May 2013 22:30:28 5,744 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have Eador it is pretty pants.
  • BeheretiK 3 May 2013 07:57:40 858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    I have Eador it is pretty pants.
    Oh, that is disappointing but not entirely surprising based on the Steam forums. The RPS review at least makes it sound salvageable if they work on getting the issues sorted. Will keep an eye on it when it goes on sale in the future.

• THFourteen 3 May 2013 08:36:09 31,806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Might and Magic heroes is on sale on steam btw only 8
  • BeheretiK 3 May 2013 09:02:04 858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Might and Magic heroes is on sale on steam btw only 8
    That will do for me - been meaning for a while to give the latest one a go. Thanks for the heads up!

• Page

of 3 First / Last