FM transmitter recomendations please ....

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 29 November 2007 17:06:03
    So I have caved in and am going to be joining the masses of iPod owners this Chrimbo.

I have tried a cheapo fm transmitter before, with poor results.

Anyone got a recommendaton of a good transmitter that works reliably ?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 29 Nov 2007 17:17:49 7,022 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you have a touch or a classic? IIRC some don't work with the touch.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2007 22:31:18
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Do you have a touch or a classic? IIRC some don't work with the touch.

It`s gonna be an 80gigger Classic.

Waddayathink ?
  • deem 29 Nov 2007 22:51:28 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:

From my experience, it makes no difference. They are ALL shit, no matter how much you spend.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2007 23:11:14
    deem wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:

From my experience, it makes no difference. They are ALL shit, no matter how much you spend.

oh fuckin ell, dnt say that deem me ol china !
  • deem 29 Nov 2007 23:13:37 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    allwhite
  • warlockuk 29 Nov 2007 23:39:38 19,223 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there any HDD mp3 players out there with decent battery / HDD / price etc? I had a look but the Zen seems to still have shite battery life and Sony don't seem to have anything over 8Gb at the moment...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 29 November 2007 23:43:53
    Don't see anything wrong with the iPod 80GB at the moment. Much cheaper than previous iterations; the battery's fine as well.

And it plays mp3s, in case you thought it didn't. Some people have been making claims to the contrary, which is pretty baffling.
  • Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 00:58:02 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bumping becuase I have the same question.

I just got a car and since it doesn't have a tape deck I need an FM transmitter for my iPod 80gig classic.

I've looked on Amazon and they have a few but at the moment i'm going off their reviews (which i'd rather not do).

This is the only one that seems to have reviewed well but it's 40 and thats more than i'd be willing to pay.

This one also looks ok and is a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Also @bdaggers:

Did you find a good one in the end?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 11:34:11 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bumping for the day crew. :)

• heyyo 8 Jun 2008 12:33:01 14,369 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This one's for
    The heads out there
    Party people
    Can you hear me play it?
    If you like it
    Let me see your
    Hands in the air
    If you don't
    Y'all get the hell
    Out of here
  • Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 13:21:00 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to admit it, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

• Fatfish 8 Jun 2008 15:29:54 3,377 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought one of these (Griffin iTrip Auto FM transmitter/charger) about 2 months ago. Most places listed it at 40, but I managed to get mine for 20 from Tesco.com. However, I can't now find them on Tesco's web site, so I'm guessing they've run out. I think they've bought out a newer version now, so perhaps that's why.

Either way, it's a great bit of kit - especially handy as it charges while you use it. Only downside is that you have the long wire coming out of the lighter socket on the dashboard, but that doesn't really bother me. A wireless version will only mean having to change the batteries every couple of weeks anyway. I tend to use mine quite a bit, so it's handy not having to worry about dead batteries.

The sound (once you've located a free channel) is fantastic. Just as good as listening to it normally. I was really impressed. I normally use mine in my work van and have no problems. However, I think there's an issue with the radio wiring in my car and when using it in there, it's not quite as clear a sound. But it's not the fault of the iTrip as far as I can tell. Would definitely recommend if you don't mind the wires - especially at ~20.
  • Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 18:26:12 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Fatish :D

I'll definetly check that one out.

• Fatfish 8 Jun 2008 18:53:49 3,377 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My pleasure. Hope it helped.
  • Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 21:14:41 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fatfish wrote:
    My pleasure. Hope it helped.

It did, I'm still concerned by the number of lower customer reviews, not just on amazon either.

Have you used it on a long journey? Some people say you have to retune it on long journeys becuase of local stations.

I have a 400 mile drive to Uni in september so it's quite important that it would work on that trip.

• funkstar 8 Jun 2008 21:24:27 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i've never had any trouble with my itrip auto in my travels in the uk so far, but last summer when i was in italy i had to retune the bloody thing every five minutes - it really depends on what areas you are in and how crowded the FM stations are

edit: the new ones store 3 stations though, and auto-switch when they get crowded (similar to how proper stations such as radio1 change their frequency sometimes and most radios automatically change with it)

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• DaisyD 8 Jun 2008 21:25:54 11,826 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got an Xtreme Mac one which does the job well. From recolation it was under 20.
  • otto Moderator 8 Jun 2008 22:03:44 49,335 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had an iTrip and it wasn't good, I've got a Kensington now and it's excellent, much better controls & UI. Very straightforward and 'just works'.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Mr-Brett 8 Jun 2008 23:20:32 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the recomendations guys, if anyone else has anything to add it's always useful to hear.

• Fatfish 8 Jun 2008 23:47:05 3,377 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, had to disappear for a few hours. I spend most of my days on the road driving, but it's usually only across 2 or 3 counties. Never had the problem of needing to retune. As long as you find a clear frequency to use (so nothing for 2 or 3 increments in either direction), you should be ok. The other option is to check out the radio broadcasting frequencies across the UK. In theory you should be able figure out which stations aren't used at all and set it to that. Problem solved.

Worst comes to worst, if it doesn't work properly or it's not what you want, you could always return it to Amazon. It's a pain, but you always get a cooling off period whenever you buy online.
  • Mr-Brett 9 Jun 2008 00:02:36 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fatfish wrote:
    Sorry, had to disappear for a few hours.

No problem :)

Fatfish wrote:
    I spend most of my days on the road driving, but it's usually only across 2 or 3 counties. Never had the problem of needing to retune. As long as you find a clear frequency to use (so nothing for 2 or 3 increments in either direction), you should be ok. The other option is to check out the radio broadcasting frequencies across the UK. In theory you should be able figure out which stations aren't used at all and set it to that. Problem solved.

Worst comes to worst, if it doesn't work properly or it's not what you want, you could always return it to Amazon. It's a pain, but you always get a cooling off period whenever you buy online.

Yeah you make a good point, i'll definetly consider the iTrip but I like to spend a while making sure with this kind of thing.

otto wrote:
    I had an iTrip and it wasn't good

Don't suppose you could elaborate?

• BartonFink 9 Jun 2008 01:04:13 35,126 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had an iTrip too and tbh it wasn't great as it had the frequencies stored on the iPod making the whole setup fiddly.

Bought a Belkin (which I currently and annoyingly can't find) and that worked out much better.

However the newer ones seem to allow you to choose the frequency on the device rather than the iPod.

Might see if I can pick up one in the States when I am over there.
  • Mr-Brett 9 Jun 2008 11:17:41 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the newer iTrip allows you to choose which is good. It seems that the Belkin one gets good reviews everywhere but I can't find it for less than 40 apart from at somewhere called 'appleprstore' which I don't really trust.

• PES_Fanboy 9 Jun 2008 11:37:12 18,999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My iTrip works like a charm (not charm, he doesn't work) in Canada, but I can't bear it in FM-congested Blighty.
  • otto Moderator 9 Jun 2008 11:40:38 49,335 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    otto wrote:
    I had an iTrip and it wasn't good

Don't suppose you could elaborate?
    I don't know if the iTrip is the same as it used to be (mine was one of the very first models) but you had to control it from within the iPod itself. So you'd select a frequency by playing a track on the iPod. Not only was this incredibly fiddly to do in a car while driving (for fiddly read irresponsibly dangerous), it also played havoc with the shuffle feature. Every time an iTrip tuning track turned up in shuffle it would fuck everything up (and make your ears bleed) leading to more dangerous retuning at 160kmh on the autobahn.

The Kensington is perfect because it plugs straight into the 12V socket and is controlled in much the same way as you'd control the radio; you can create presets so for long journeys that you do frequently you can always find a free frequency that you've used before.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mrpon 9 Jun 2008 11:48:06 29,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Thanks for the recomendations guys, if anyone else has anything to add it's always useful to hear.
    I'd try and see if your car stereo has an AUX port at the back that you could hook into. Lots of guides on the net for cabling these up and hooking an iPod to it.

I'm lucky, my car has an AUX port already on the dash so I'm good to go. Nothing better than a hardwired connection imo.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Mr-Brett 9 Jun 2008 12:03:34 12,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I'd try and see if your car stereo has an AUX port at the back that you could hook into. Lots of guides on the net for cabling these up and hooking an iPod to it.

I'm lucky, my car has an AUX port already on the dash so I'm good to go. Nothing better than a hardwired connection imo.

Yeah i'd much prefer a wired connection but its a 1999 car and the original tape/radio has been replaced with a cd/radio which is annoying and I'd rather not open up tha dash and start messing around with cables.

• wobbler147 9 Jun 2008 12:24:19 5,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought a istuff autoscan from Amazon a while back and considering how cheap it was, its a good bit of kit.
  • Juninho 9 Jun 2008 12:33:57 1,825 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a Belkin Tunecase thing and it's pretty crap.

Keeps switching itself off as it thinks the MP3 player isn't sending a signal as it isn't loud enough.

However, if you turn it up the signal gets distorted.

Crap.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous