A Spooky Message Unmasked is the Special Research questline for the 2020 Halloween event in Pokémon Go.
Braving this uncanny questline will reward you with the chance to catch both Spiritomb and Galarian Yamask, which you can then evolve into Runerigus. Since regular Yamask can only evolve into Cofagrigus, completing A Spooky Message Unmasked is the best way to add Runerigus to your Pokédex.
A Spooky Message Unmasked is the sequel to the previous Halloween Special Research questlines, A Spooky Message, released in 2018 and 2019.
On this page:
How 'A Spooky Message Unmasked' works in Pokémon Go
Research quests, which allow players to complete various challenges for rewards, were released in March 2018. There are three different categories of research quests - Field Research, Timed Research and Special Research.
A Spooky Message Unmasked is a Special Research questline and follows the Pokémon Go tradition of having a Halloween themed questline. Previous questlines, titled A Spooky Message, rewarded players with a Spiritomb encounter and A Spooky Message Unmasked does this, while also giving trainers the chance to catch a Galarian Yasmask.
Due to its status as Special Research, there's no deadline for completing A Spooky Message Unmasked. We do recommend, however, logging into Pokémon Go during the 2020 Halloween event to ensure that you unlock this Special Research questline.
A Spooky Message Unmasked is divided into four steps, which will consist of three separate challenges. Each challenge and overall stephas it's own set of rewards, which includes an encounter with both Spiritomb and Galarian Yamask.
'A Spooky Message Unmasked' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find all the steps and confirmed rewards for A Spooky Message Unmasked - not to be confused with the previous A Spooky Message. This section does, however, contain spoilers for the entire quest, so, if you'd rather be surprised, we recommend skipping this section.
Thank you to redwineandbeer from reddit for the help with this information.
'A Spooky Message Unmasked' Step 1 of 4
- Catch 30 Ghost-type Pokémon - Duskull encounter
- Transfer 4 Pokémon - 340 Stardust
- Catch 34 Pokémon - 340 XP
Reward: x3 Pinap Berries, x4 Razz Berries and Yamask encounter
'A Spooky Message Unmasked' Step 2 of 4
- Catch 10 Dark-type Pokémon - costumed Sableye encounter
- Make 8 Nice Throws - x8 PokéBalls
- Catch 108 Pokémon - 1080 XP
Reward: x10 Potions, x8 Great Balls and Spiritomb encounter
'A Spooky Message Unmasked' Step 3 of 4
- Catch 40 Ghost-type Pokémon - Litwick encounter
- Make 9 Great Throws - 490 Stardust
- Catch 49 Pokémon - 490 XP
Reward: x4 Silver Pinap Berries, x9 Razz Berries and Galarian Yamask encounter
'A Spooky Message Unmasked' Step 4 of 4
- Claim reward - 3400 XP
- Claim reward - 1080 XP
- Claim reward - 4900 XP
Reward:4900 Stardust, x4 Yamask Candy and x9 Yamask Candy
The Season of Timeless Travels has arrived in Pokémon Go! The Along the Routes event is here, bringing Gift Exchange and the A Route to New Friendships quest with it. During it, take the time to try out Routes and Party Play while you're hunting down rare Pokémon, fighting in the Go Battle League or competing in PokéStop Showcases.
Tips for completing 'A Spooky Message Unmasked' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips that will help you complete 'A Spooky Message Unmasked' in Pokémon Go:
- We highly recommend you complete this Special Research quest during the Halloween event, as it will be easier to find Ghost-type Pokémon.
- Don't forget to use Incense or Lure Modules to bring Pokémon to your location!
- Use Nanab Berries to prevent a Pokémon from moving, making it easier to earn those Nice and Great Throws.
- When working towards the Great Throws, target Pokémon with a large catch circle, such Mr. Mime, so that you can easily judge your throws.
Have a spooky Halloween!