UPDATE 28/08/2014 5.57pm: The first gameplay from Terra Battle has emerged in the following trailer outlining the game's "Download Starter" model.
The gameplay footage begins shortly after the two minute mark and we see the game's tile-based spacial strategy in action. It's a bit difficult to grasp the incatracies of it in a couple of minutes, but it should give one a basic idea of what sort of game to expect from Hironobu Sakaguchi's latest.
ORIGINAL STORY 26/08/2014 10.45pm: Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's latest game at his studio Mistwalker, Terra Battle, will operate on a "Download-starter" model where the more it's downloaded, the more content the developer will add.
As reported by Famitsu (via Siliconera), the free-to-play mobile strategy game has a number of tiered download goals that will determine what content Mistwalker produces.
Here are the different tiers:
- 100,000 downloads: New song(s) by Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu.
- 200,000 downloads: New characters by Final Fatasy 12 art director and Final Fantasy 9 character designer Hideo Minaba.
- 300,000 downloads: In-game appearance by manga artist Nakaba Suzuki.
- 1 million downloads: A real-life concert based around Terra Battle.
- 1.4 million downloads: Terra Battle figurines will go into production.
- 2 million downloads: Development of a console version of Terra Battle.
It's not clear what consoles these will be, however, but in the meantime we can expect Terra Battle on iOS and Android devices in October.
We don't know a whole lot of details about Terra Battle, but the Siliconera report noted that it's set on an eight-by-six grid where players can move freely for about four seconds during each turn. It will also have micro-transactions for stamina replenishing items and continues, possibly among other things.
Will you support Eurogamer?