In addition to the basic ending, Dark Souls 3 has three additional endings to choose from. Two require a small setup that can be done before starting the final fight, but the last one needs a lot of additional things to be done at specific points during the game.
To Link the First Flame
This is the "basic" ending; simply light the bonfire after the final battle.
The End of Fire
Collect the Eyes of a Firekeeper from the Untended Graves and give them to the Firekeeper before the final battle. Once the fight is over, use the summon sign next to the bonfire.
The End of Fire+
Trigger the End of Fire ending as above - and as the camera fades to black, attack the Firekeeper.
Usurpation of Fire
This requires a far more involved setup, and many of the steps are time critical, so do them as soon as possible. During all the conversations, make sure you interact until the NPC has nothing more to say.
1) Speak to Yoel in Foot of the High Walls: Before opening the portcullis to pass through to Undead Settlement, head to the other end of the stone path. Yoel will be on the right in the crowd of worshippers, second from the back - he'll mumble something when you get near him, and then a few seconds later you'll be able to talk to him and send him to Firelink.
2) Speak to Yoel again at Firelink and accept the dark sigil - you'll find him at the end of the corridor on the lower right side of the area.
3) Level up with him five times. The first is 'free', and the rest are gained by dying twice and returning to him. After the fifth one he'll die; this needs to be done before completing Farron Keep. Do not attempt to cure your hollowing at any point, either via the Firekeeper or a Purging Stone.
4) Once Yoel is dead, speak to Yuria - she'll appear in the same place in Firelink.
5) Speak to Anri at the Halfway Fortress bonfire.
6) After defeating the Deacons of the Deep, return to Firelink and speak to Anri again.
7) After defeating the Abyss Watcher, find Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus. Instead of turning right and heading down the steps where the skeleton ball attacks you, take the archway opposite and head down the corridor.
8) Talk to Anri again further through the catacombs - when you reach the wooden bridge, take the rough stone path up the slope and round to the left.
9) Find Horace in Smouldering Lake and kill him. He can be found in the cave to the right when you reach the water.
10) Return to Anri and deliver the news that you found Horace in the lake.
11) Talk to Anri again at the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.
12) Return to Firelink after defeating Pontiff Sulhyvan and talk to Yuria again.
13) From the Anor Londo bonfire, lower the tower again and head through the passageway where the illusory statue was, talk to the NPC, head to the far end, and use the Sword of Avowal on Anri's body.
14) Talk to Yuria in Firelink again.
15) After defeating the Soul of Cinder, light the bonfire.
- Head back to the first page for the rest of our Dark Souls 3 guide.
Will you support Eurogamer?