the_ewan

4 minutes ago

@kosmic2561 I can totally imagine launching something at Gamescom. What I can't see is pre-owned announcing it in such a vague and ambiguous manner in a blog post - if they wanted to get people to tune in they'd be clearer.

But we'll see; one of us will be right.

NotaEuroGamer

8 minutes ago

@alexatkin I would assume he meant the actual first Xbox, akin to an NES mini.

alexatkin

14 minutes ago

@Duffking I'm fairly sure that memory bandwidth is the achillies heel of Switch. Its why alpha effects have to be used so carefully or the frame rate tanks.

Mind you the same applies to PS4/XBO, just obviously their limit is very different to a portable.

Posted in Octopath Traveler: a 90s-style JPRG brought to life with cutting-edge tech

Dysisa

27 minutes ago

@joshdow-wii Eurogamer has good writers with good hearts that I believe care about their readers. Did they read and take to heart my comments here? Who can say, I definitely can't. But I've gotten a response from them on several other comments I've made, so yes I see plenty of reason to make a comment voicing my discontent with what they choose to post.

What an utterly cowardly and spineless way of life you have. I'm happy for you that you feel so content with life that you never feel the need to speak up about anything. I hope sticking your head in the sand continues to work out for you, I'm perfectly fine with not doing that though, thank you very much.

Posted in Nintendo Switch with Mario Odyssey and Pro Controller discounted to £330 for Amazon Prime Day

alexatkin

29 minutes ago

@barryr1285 Oh I'd love a new Theme Park. The 3D iterations never seemed to do the original justice and despite there being several games of that style out over the last few years, none of them seem to quite match it either. (although I'm hopeful Parkitect will get there eventually)

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

NotaEuroGamer

31 minutes ago

@SiegWahrheit You know a console platform holder isn't doing their job properly in this regard when a shooter can be a lot more fun on PC even with a pad, and we're not even talking about a careful implementation by the game dev, rather just a way to enable gyro aiming via Steam where the game isn't aware of it nor designed for it.

alexatkin

32 minutes ago

@xandaca Previews so far are positive, suggesting it retains everything that made the original great and then some.

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

alexatkin

33 minutes ago

@vojtas To be fair, the DS4 touchpad could be a real bonus with a game like this.

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

alexatkin

34 minutes ago

Oh Linux support, that's a huge bonus that drastically increases the amount of time I'm likely to play on it as I don't have to stop what I'm doing and boot into Windows.

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

NotaEuroGamer

37 minutes ago

@SiegWahrheit Funny how the platforms that are trying to pursue a more appropriate input method for shooters via pad are the one that uses an accurate default input method (PC), and the one that isn't known for shooters (Nintendo's). While the other two where shooters with a pad are wildly popular are happy just putting Band-aids on a subpar input method in the form of heavy aim assist, and not trying to solve the problem or innovate at all.

mostro

43 minutes ago

The Xbox One Deluxe Edition. Available for a limited time at a compelling price point of a billion dollars, this premium console will create excellent AAA exclusives so you donít have to wait until MS get around to it.

46 minutes ago

Too bad installing it from disc literally doesn't work. God I hate Xbox, why I haven't sold this trash is beyond me. I waited 4 years and even bought a new 360 to play my Dante disc and when they finally add it to BC, it won't even install - same as with every other game they added.

Posted in Dante's Inferno and RUSE are now backward-compatible on Xbox One

alexatkin

47 minutes ago

@Unreal849 The BC will always fall short because every title has to be re-licensed for distribution which costs money.

I'm REALLY hoping Burnout 2 & 3 are coming, but I'm not holding my breath.

alexatkin

49 minutes ago

@shawngiles They clearly were talking about games libraries. The fact it was still hugely popular despite the RROD is testament to that.

man.the.king

55 minutes ago

@B3ater

@tomphillipsEG

From the blog post:

Tune in on Tuesday, August 21, at 4:30 p.m. CEST (7:30 a.m. PDT) for lots of news, new Xbox One bundles and accessories, and
At the bottom of the blog post:
Edit: This post has been edited to clarify the hardware news.
Are you going to say sorry to morpheus2n2? :)

andresescobar

57 minutes ago

@budgietheii they did also write accessories I am guessing new controlers and a possible razer keyboard and mouse count right?

alexatkin

58 minutes ago

That would seem an odd decision after them pushing backwards compatibility so hard.

Still I guess the only BC titles that will come will also be available to purchase too, so still maybe worth it for some.

alexatkin

1 hour ago

@SuperShinobi Isn't that what Xbox One S already is?

Granted they could probably make it smaller still, but do we really need that?

alexatkin

1 hour ago

@shawngiles I thought they actually said there wouldn't be any more console "generations"? As in, the next Xbox will still be fully Xbox One compatible.

It was a dig at Sony who said they still believed in independent generational consoles, which it seems rather unlikely they will do now as it would just force people over to Xbox.

man.the.king

1 hour ago

Microsoft will use a live Inside Xbox show to debut "all-new Xbox hardware and accessories", direct from this year's Gamescom showfloor.
More likely, Microsoft will be debuting its snazzy rumoured Xbox Elite 2 controller, details of which have leaked previously.
Doesn't the Elite 2 count as "XBox accessories", not hardware?

Personally, I think it might be their hololens 2 or an attempt at VR.

Then again, they might introduce new XBox hardware this year (although it would be silly to do so at this point in time, IMHO).

EDIT: Just looked at Nelson blog post - new bundles.

darkstar2017

1 hour ago

@palaver That bits usually the freebie, followed by 'carefully altering comments'.

Posted in Elon Musk's Twitter tirade has me dreaming of a Mass Effect patch

spamdangled

1 hour ago

@starsail low hanging fruit and nowhere near to comment of the week.

Nynja

2 hours ago

My bet is they are reviving the Zune.

No seriously, maybe their AR solution that's been in development for nearly a decade.

BudTheCyborg

@straga27
ďthe jump from 1080p (Snip) to 4k (Snip) is significantly less than the jump from 480i CRTs to early 720p/1080p displays.Ē (Limiting comparisons to different price segments is really disingenuous, obviously a Plasma owner would never be happy moving to Edge Lit LCD.)

The jump from 480p to 720p is effectively just a 2.3x jump in resolution, donít forget the OG Xbox and Gamecube actually had full 480p capabilities.
So Xbox to Xbox 360 was a 2.3x boost, then the 360 to Xbox One (720p-1080p) was again a 2.3x boost, and now we have Xbox X giving a 4x boost. This is actually the most significant boost in resolution ever.
The ďMid-GenĒ 4x boost might seem out of place but the OG Xbox was actually only on the market for 4 years before the 360 came out, almost exactly the same as the time gap from Xbox One to the Xbox X. Also remember the Xbox 360 was on the market 3 years longer than any previous generation, plus the GPU in the Xbox One was very underpowered at launch, which is all to say, the Xbox X is really pretty much right on time, and the onset of 4K as the new standard is really quite appropriate.

Posted in Why next-gen consoles shouldn't focus on 'true 4K'

Deadman316

2 hours ago

Is this the sort of game that can work on my basic Lenovo laptop like Theme Hospital still does?

I really want to get it once reviews are out for confirmation but It needs to be able to work lol

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

shawngiles

@BobbyDeNiro 54% failure rate says not one of the best

shawngiles

2 hours ago

Proof Microsoft is full of liars again. They claimed they wouldn't make any more consoles

p_star

2 hours ago

@ihnm_aims Just Cause 3 was a bit of a disaster on consoles. Not particularly good either, even with the tech issues ignored.

Posted in Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot

p_star

2 hours ago

@Big-Boss MGS IV is a piece of shit! One dreadfully written and overlong cutscene after another with decidedly average stealth gameplay. I would be shocked if Crackdown 3 ended up as bad as MGS IV.

Posted in Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot

ProTw33ks

2 hours ago

@FoureyesZero I'm not saying this to bash Microsoft as they are trying, but they showed off everything they have right now at E3. Yes they bought 5 new studios, but games aren't developed in mere weeks so we won't see the fruit from that for 3-5 years from now. E3 is always Microsoft's big game blowout which already happened.

ash_735

2 hours ago

@AddressUnknown It won't make a difference to the success of this site, it'd just be nice if Eurogamer actually did what they'd say and address the issue, it could help encourage a different view, different kinds of articles, which better help us all understand certain issues in this gaming community. Eurogamer likes to tout on about how progressive they are and yet they've only ever been progressive to ONE side. It might not be important to you but for a lot of people out there who face shit everyday from the gaming community it really would be nice if one of the most self proclaimed progressive gaming websites out there actually showed a hand here.

Posted in Welcome Bendix, newest member of our video team

Wren-Rudo

2 hours ago

@Vinsta No.Warcraft 4 should come out 1st.

Posted in World of Warcraft and all current expansions now included in subscription

leeski1

2 hours ago

I would buy a digital only console. Early gen was too soon but I think we've been conditioned just enough for the vocal minority to no longer harm sales if Microsoft do it again. There will be no backtracking and no risk to Microsoft to go TV TV TV this time. I'm all in and I was not last time.

michaelskerritt

2 hours ago

@dejayclayton EA didn't hold Garriot's toes in the fire until he sold Origin Systems to them. Sorry, I still hold him ultimately responsible for the whole mess

Posted in Is Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar on the ropes?

ash_735

2 hours ago

@freaqie How is it racist for wanting POC representation on a website that is dominated by White employees, a website that claims to be one of the more progressive gaming sites out there by the way.

Posted in Welcome Bendix, newest member of our video team

ash_735

2 hours ago

@gnosis Gender Conspiracy Card? Look at my highly downvoted comment by this white community, I have no issue with women being employed, it just feels hypocritical when EuroGamer make these articles congratulating themselves for hiring another White Woman when they've still yet to acknowledge many of the POC applicants they get.

Posted in Welcome Bendix, newest member of our video team

Malek86

2 hours ago

@fabio78 PS4 version is 900p, while X1 is 1080p with better AA.

It's also 30fps instead of 60fps, of course. Gotta know when to fold'em.

Posted in Jonathan Blow shows more footage of his new Sokoban-inspired game

alistairsmith

2 hours ago

@Dismiss I don't think it would be improved apart from the resolution, but let's be honest.. with the pixel art style no-one would of noticed the lower resolution if it had not been disclosed in this video. All the comments I've seen have been shocked that it's not 1080p because it looks fantastic in both modes. Theres many more visually taxing games on the switch that run at higher resolutions so maybe they decided that with the art style the effort wasn't worth the reward to get it running higher.

gabortoth

2 hours ago

It will be the new Elite Controller, nothing more. But it's a great product in itself so it'll be worth looking at.

scottyd

3 hours ago

Iím 10 hours in and loving it. Surprised to hear that itís running at such a low resolution on both handheld and docked modes; I really hadnít noticed. A couple of other observations:

- SE took some feedback after the initial demo and added an option to cut back on some of the post-processing effects, which were distracting some people. Confusingly, the option is labelled as ďCorner Shadows - Enable/DisableĒ but as far as I can see, all it does is turn off bloom. I donít mind the post-processing though, so leave it enabled. But I can see why some people would prefer a cleaner look.

- It would be great to see this updated to automatically zoom the picture in slightly in portable mode (I think Stardew Valley does this?). The sprites do seem excessively small otherwise. Again you get used to it, but if portable is going to be your main option, you might want to see how you get on with the demo first.

- That pixel crawl in battle scenes is kind of annoying on the big screen. Iím not sure it can be filtered out without harming the sprite work. If there is a patch down the line to increase performance (and allow a higher resolution at the 30fps cap), that may deal with it.

Really small niggles though in the grand scheme. I really am having a great time with this. As someone whoís spent years playing and replaying these games, this feels like it was made for me.

vibroguy

3 hours ago

er, kits been the case for a while now. At least since the free weekend a few weeks back

rudedudejude

3 hours ago

Playing Theme Hospital from Gog at the mo for the price of about £2 and it's bloody brill.

Posted in Two Point Hospital books in a release date

neilka

3 hours ago

cutting edge tech
720p while docked
30fps cap

SuperShinobi

3 hours ago

Og Xbox mini please.

Fourfoldroot

3 hours ago

@ghostgate2001
A well thought out and, I believe, accurate rebuttal.

Posted in Does bad archaeology make for the best games?