Pasco

11 seconds ago

@xmassteps Yeah, they really don't, regardless of whether you and many other people personally enjoy them or not.

Posted in EA's open-world Star Wars game canned in favour of smaller project

ecco

1 minute ago

FFW to 2021 :
Microsoft cancels half completed Hitman 3.

FFW to 2024 :
Rumoured guest appearance in Forza Horizon 6 will be the designated driver of a custom rally car bearing the familiar number 47.

Posted in Hitman developer IO Interactive is opening a new studio in Malmö, Sweden

LaurencD

3 minutes ago

@Anrkist I enjoyed it, but it felt like they were trying to force a twist in there. Like a pastiche of the first, trying to pull the rug out from under you twice is just annoying.

They also used a very trope heavy mechanism of jumping forward in time after "the event" happened, then going back through it via an unreliable narrator. Its just a bit dated and frustrating execution.

Posted in Westworld mobile game that Bethesda called 'blatant Fallout Shelter rip-off' is closing down

RegisteredRobot

6 minutes ago

@kangarootoo Exactly. I agree that the romance implementation in ME2 (ME1 is great too but the forcing of Kaidan on femShep is really annoying) is wonderfully executed. One of the best ones -- or actually THE best one -- I've seen in the games I've played. So many candidates to choose from and no one's forcing you to "try X number of variants". Plus, no lore buchering and unnecessary "inclusiveness" where already established straight characters suddenly turn gay/bi like in ME3.

Posted in Ubisoft sorry for shock Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC twist which ignores player choice

dennett316

6 minutes ago

@Stollenspiders "cap-in-hand to Kickstarter", pffft. Oh come on. No doubt YouTubers and Twitch streamers should go out and get REAL jobs as well, right?
Selling butter to make the rich richer vs like-minded people getting together to fund something that they like and would want to see made....in short, commission work. But sure, imply it's begging all you like.

fucking hell...the weird lines that people draw for themselves that just end up making no sense.

Posted in Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes review - a banal bore of a game

LaurencD

9 minutes ago

How long until they start selling respawns for cash?

Posted in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout gets respawn mode for the first time

Jam_Pudding

9 minutes ago

@neilka he’s referring to the Sony hand portable, the PS Vita (and the PSP before it) which used proprietary memory cards that were stupidly expensive.

Posted in Nintendo-licensed 128GB microSD card down to £30

ecco

12 minutes ago

But very few bridges to Denmark though.

Jam_Pudding

13 minutes ago

.... or, £21.59 for a SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSD XC, class 10 A1.

Posted in Nintendo-licensed 128GB microSD card down to £30

RegisteredRobot

15 minutes ago

@madcrazyaj now look at Watch Dogs 2 for example and tell me Ubisoft do not politicise their games themselves.

Supra_Hans

17 minutes ago

@FullMetalCOS I haven't played for a while, but the realisation I came to when I was playing a fair bit of BB2 was that the dice are not your friend! It's all about rolling as few dice as you can, in the safest possible order and making your opponent roll as many times as possible to try to achieve what they are trying to do.

Sure, you are going to have those games where they roll a 6 every time they need to, and you roll snake-eyes far more than seems fair, but over many games I think that's how you end up with a positive win-rate!

Posted in How Blood Bowl PC fanatics are taking player-run leagues to the extreme

whatfruitlivesagain

19 minutes ago

@megalomaniacs4u I can taste the salt from here. Sometimes like in life the dice just hate you that day.

When I used to play wargames tournaments, if I had a bad game I would smash a die in front of his brother and sisters with a hammer. This was to teach the rest of the dice a lesson if they let me down in the next game.

kangarootoo

21 minutes ago

@Solegor

Genetic material doesn't just pass down through one line of offspring. A family tree is exactly that, many branches that all carry the ancestor DNA. None of the assassin's features in any of the games HAD to have kids for Desmond to exist, so along as some of their relations had kids.

fushimi

21 minutes ago

@xmassteps That episode was beautiful! And I enjoyed Shogun World - gamers in particular will get a kick out of the designer guy admitting he had to recycle side quest content to make deadline. The season is messy but will probably improve on a second viewing.

DeadStar-XI

22 minutes ago

@Anrkist The first half of the season drags, and is mostly irrelevant to the story overall. The final half of the season is brilliant.

RegisteredRobot

22 minutes ago

There are only a few gaming companies that write truly wonderful stories and Ubisoft is one of them
oh boy

kangarootoo

23 minutes ago

@RegisteredRobot

That actually reminded me that in ME2, I followed the Romance line with Jack for quite a while (she is kind of my type in many ways :) ), and at the last moment switched to Miranda (I can't even remember why). Jack was super upset and angry, and she wouldn't even talk to me anymore. I wanted to take back my decision, but it was too late, and I felt like a proper shit.

When these things are done well, they can resonate. I agree that to reduce them to tokens to be counted for a trophy, shows how rote such things have become from the perspective of the creators.

Haerger

23 minutes ago

Got Pro and Spiderman for £349 from GAME last week.

Loving it!

Posted in PlayStation 4 Pro with Spider-Man or Red Dead for £349

razzastuta

24 minutes ago

@FullMetalCOS - I have to admit, I'm a former player of the boardgame from the late 80s. I left the game for a good long while and come back into it when the console game came out.

I took part in two leagues whilst on the PS4, one was fine but the other brutal - it tested my patience so much I swore I would never play the game again, and I haven't....but I do admire those that stay true to the game. Like I said, you must have the patience of a saint! :)

whatfruitlivesagain

24 minutes ago

@razzastuta To get the full experience you really need to play in a league over a set number of games then those ebbs and flows of luck are just part of your team's journey to mid table mediocrity.

fushimi

25 minutes ago

@DigitalTwisted Whichever you choose, the other sibling appears in the game in a substantial story role.

drxym

25 minutes ago

@Anrkist the plot was too weird but the individual episodes were fine

kangarootoo

27 minutes ago

@kirinnokoshin

A few years ago, you could barely walk around a corner without bumping into a blog about "ludonarrative dissonance". I for one am quite happy to see the pretentious term replaced with much clearer words such as "contradiction" and "unrealistic", along with snappy blog titles like "Why are all game heroes psychopathic killers?"

ecco

29 minutes ago

Limited run games seem to make the business go round though, with prints often almost as low as those 1000 permits. (usually 1500-15000)

And they only get the distribution gains, nothing as a publisher.

Posted in Excellent Souls-inspired side-scroller Salt and Sanctuary is finally coming to Xbox One

kangarootoo

30 minutes ago

@Kendrene

"I'm a queer woman and I'm not nearly as bothered as a lot of others are. Should I?"

I think you should feel however you feel about it :)

I think we're on the same page here, as are many of the posters. I replied to you on a different bit of the thread about some of this, but I'll concisely repeat for completeness.

One issue is the game failing to honour player choice, especially as that choice was sold as an important part of the game. That is a shame, but insofar as how much it bothers individual players, that will naturally vary (I didn't much care about the end of ME3 for example, but I understand why it bothered others).

The other quite separate part of the discussion, specifically related to the sexuality aspect of the choices in the game, is the reaction of some players out there in the world. I am speculating (but I'm confident), that some of the players saying "So what, stop complaining" are doing so specifically because they find it uncomfortable to support player choice related to atypical sexuality. And if the player choice had been about character deaths, who ended up as King or Queen (no pun intended), or some other more "conventional" outcome, said players might well have a different view, and might be burning a torch for player choice.

madcrazyaj

33 minutes ago

I actually hate people. Why do people insist on politicising everything now? It’s a story, it’s a game.

kangarootoo

35 minutes ago

@Sagara_X

Fair enough, and I agree. As others have touched on, it could be suggested that the first mistake was offering choice in the first place (and making that a selling point), if in the end they demonstrated a lack of respect for that choice in the writing room. Especially for what are arguably some of the biggest personal decisions the character will make in their lives.

It might well be that "player choice" was a selling point coming from execs, whereas the plot writers were keener on telling the story they wanted to tell (and there is nothing wrong with that), and that difference of opinion eventually created this mismatch.

It could ALSO be that the writers totally planned to honour the player choice, had written a whole bunch of different endings that did exactly that, and then those various endings were cut for production cost reasons (with someone else making the "well she'll have a baby at the end, 'cos that is what most women want" call). We may never know.

captain-T-dawg

40 minutes ago

@MrTomFTW Totally agree. Well put.

Some of the most immature/irresponsible people I know are parents. You don't suddenly grow up/mature by having kids. It's all about the choices you make (which is somewhat ironic given Ubisoft has taken away all player choice in this DLC).

kangarootoo

42 minutes ago

@Kendrene

"it sends the message that you aren't complete until you got a child"

Absolutely. This reminds me of a particular line spoken by Black Widow in one of the Avengers movies, which is more than a little fucked up in this regard.

Also, I think some points are getting mixed up here. I'm not saying that the issue from the perspective of players of the game is about queerness, I'm specifically referring to the reaction of some gamers to this issue, and how I believe that reaction would be different if sexuality weren't one of the subjects around which player decision is centred. The choice to reproduce is another, as you rightly point out, but I just have my suspicious that some of the people saying "It doesn't matter, stop whining" are specifically influenced by the former. That is what ooombasa was replying to as well.

"I'm queer and I'm sick of hearing that this only affects the LGBT players - it's a writing decision that has an impact on the whole player base"

Again, I completely agree in terms of the individual players experience.

ecco

45 minutes ago

These Zelda II, Castlevania II stories sounds just like Super Mario 2. Or Dark Souls 2..

Could be a thing for some reason.

Posted in Zelda 2 is great, and you should try it on the Switch

Daeltaja

45 minutes ago

Most mobile games are blatant clones of successful mobile games, this isn't an edge-case.

acuratebob

45 minutes ago

@suzakuseven but how do you continue a blood line without having a child? Cloning?

xmassteps

49 minutes ago

@Anrkist It had some decent episodes (the one centered around the Apache warrior was excellent) but overall was a bit meandering and too complicated for its own good.

UnlawfulExile

52 minutes ago

You can tell a lot of people in these comments have never played D&D or a dice based table top game before lol

ecco

56 minutes ago

Most likely code Behaviour sold Bethesda, not code they got access to when signing the deal. Still legally wrong of course, just maybe not as morally corrupt as it sounds. TT probably just sell their end product work, not the tools.

scoob101

56 minutes ago

@TangyCheeseMan Well, obviously. Massive are at the end of the dev process, minor changes are of course what we would expect now.

The point is, Massive have planned this beta and its timing - there is no reason to believe the beta wont meet its stated aims.

Posted in The Division 2's private beta gets a February start-date on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

BOFH_UK

56 minutes ago

Gamepass is one of those products that always feels like it should have a bigger hook waiting just out of sight. As a back catalogue service the ~£8 a month (or vastly less if you get the timing right on sales) is about right but once you chuck in all the first party games coming on launch day it just might be the best value offering in gaming right now. Still needs some improvements in the interface, especially with letting you know when games are leaving the service but overall it's a major plus point for the Xbox platform. Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out long term, especially if (as seems likely) the Xbox 2 treats OG Xbox, 360 and XB1 games the same way the XB1X does.

Posted in We Happy Few, Shadow of Mordor among next Xbox Game Pass additions

Syrette

58 minutes ago

Take it I'd need PS+ to be able to play the beta on PS4?

spearmp

1 hour ago

@mortiz666 Not really, Myrinne and Pythagoras bore children out of the need to prolong the bloodline, it makes sense that Kassandra/Alexios would also follow in those footsteps either through love or, like their parents, through pragmatism.

FullMetalCOS

1 hour ago

@megalomaniacs4u they never had broken RNG. It might feel like that over a small sample size, but when you see 400-500 games played every week, you will find that the RNG is actually fairly balanced, the specific odds of any particular dice roll is almost perfectly even, with the smallest of weighting put on 6’s (and it’s a tiny fraction of a percent).

KALofKRYPTON

1 hour ago

Great article.

I always hated Blood Bowl as a kid and still do (I'm more of a Talisman chap), but the friends I have who play table top are often extremely committed to their teams!

rep-

1 hour ago

@fabio78 Eh? Hasn't Sony closed more Studios than MS?

suzakuseven

1 hour ago

@acuratebob I think the problem comes when you present a situation where a player can play a homosexual character and then suddenly you tell them 'actually no, not only are they straight but you have to have a child with this character'.

This might be a crude example, but it might help some people identify with this problem: Imagine playing a game like Uncharted or something, and you could choose whether to pursue a relationship with Chloe or Elena, and you do so for the whole game. Then suddenly, right at the end, the game says 'actually no, Nathan is gay and you have to have a relationship with this random guy who has just shown up.'

People get attached to characters, I know I'd be really annoyed if I played Mass Effect and they suddenly said 'Nah, sorry. Your female Shepard isn't in a relationship with Liara, she's having a baby with Kaiden.'

It's all about offering player choice, and then completely removing it.

TangyCheeseMan

1 hour ago

@scoob101 It's not enough time to make significant changes.You're pretty much limited to tweaking stats, weapon damage etc. If it has problems like the Division 1 had on release like no endgame, pointless and boring dark zone, huge game breaking exploits etc. then you're out of luck on release

benburns1

1 hour ago

Don't listen to this guy. The tactics come from offering Nuffle a suitable amount of prayers and sacrifices.

TangyCheeseMan