mukki

35 seconds ago

I do doubt that will be true in the long run...
Give him a couple of months/years I am SURE we will see him making games again.

Posted in Cliff Bleszinski says he'll "NEVER" make another video game

Ivattthestanier

2 minutes ago

@Bertie and AA is where the true gems are if u ask me.

rep-

3 minutes ago

@chucklepie Are players of Fallout 76 not enjoying it? Not seen much player feedback tbh.

PKMaxx

4 minutes ago

This makes me feel very old. Who the hell is 2 Milly? Even after googling them I'm not sure, all I got was a load of stories on the above topic.

Posted in Rapper considers legal action against Epic Games for using his dance moves in Fortnite

rep-

4 minutes ago

Hmm...looking at the top 10 and new releases I've bought 6 of them - Spyro, Red Dead, Fallout, Pokemon Pika, Blops 4, and HItman 2. Not forgetting Tetris Effect, and BFV which kicked off on Thursday.

Too many games, not enough time.

Dizzy

6 minutes ago

@Malek86 Quite a lot of KS software projects failed to deliver. KS is good for physical products (like boardgames), it doesn't work very well for software projects that almost always run over budget/time/features.

StooMonster

7 minutes ago

Had to Google to find the native resolution, it's a 1080p panel.

Posted in This half-price 27-inch monitor is the best Black Friday deal we've seen so far

lockload

8 minutes ago

hitman 2 will be mostly digial purchase especially as the last one way all digital

rep-

8 minutes ago

@saxxonde Tetris Effect is bloody brilliant :)

Dizzy

8 minutes ago

@RedPanda87 True true, but the core game is great. They obviously couldn't quite deliver on their vision. I am hoping that extra MS mojo will give them just that.

raheell9

9 minutes ago

My gaming is mostly done on Sony's machine. That being said, I'm really glad inXile have found a home at Microsoft as Torment was one of the best games I'd played in a long long while.

bad09

9 minutes ago

@Skellingt

Probably failed through a number of factors.

1. The franchise took a terrible beating way back with the awful Absolution.

2. They came back with a dragged out episodic game format that many didn't like and it didn't do well enough to save IO being dropped with their previous publisher.

3. This new game is very small as it was originally intended as episodes for season 2 of the previous episodic game before they got dropped.

4. The new publisher is one of the worst publishers around who are apparently selling on your details to companies if their privacy policy is anything to go by....which you can refuse but seriously disable the game if you do.....because IO yet again hide progression and content behind the online connection requirements.

hfm

10 minutes ago

@Mike1980 Fallout 76 being an online only game, I would imagine digital sales are significant. Those playing it only have good unmetered internet and don't mind downloading that much data.

Umang

12 minutes ago

@Scottoest The thing about the Double Fine situation with Broken Age is this - many people who would be interested in such a game are older, maybe in their early to late 40s.

Older people tend not to trust new "trends" like that and tend to wait for the product to be released in order for them to actually consider buying it.

I say that from experience, having been a part of the P&C adventure community for a while and having participated in such discussions on websites like Adventure Gamers and Gameboomers.

So, with those people not on board, there's a big chunk of money on the table, that is going to eventually turn into profit.

The thing about crowdfunding that you mentioned, i.e. the majority of sales and revenue come first, is the main reason those studios keep on going back to crowdfunding in order to keep making those kinda games.

It's a vicious cycle, and one that can provide a lot of uncertainty.

Ror

13 minutes ago

@Bertie Just something I've been wondering about, even more so since I've seen a lot of people concerned that the new studios - especially Obsidian and InXile - will be staffed up to massive, bloated levels and forced to work on some cinematic third person AAA-athon or something.

Something almost all of the new acquisitions have stated is that MS are offering them funding and support, but otherwise getting out of their way and allowing them to almost continue as independents (with the obvious caveat of exclusivity to their platforms). That makes sense from a creative standpoint - why buy a studio who have a lot of experience making a certain kind of game, and then force them to do something that's maybe not in their wheelhouse - but also a bit of a risk for the one holding the purse strings - you'd expect the buyer to exert a higher level of control.

It feels like the Xbox team under Spencer are serious about getting out of their developers' way and letting them make what they want to make, and I think Game Pass enables that. At least to some extent.

I don't know. I might be rambling a bit now :)

Cheers again!

RedPanda87

14 minutes ago

@Dizzy I might be with a lot more polish (which it sounds like MS could give them). With BT4 I really felt a major lack of polish that I didn't feel with Wasteland 2 and Torment.

rep-

15 minutes ago

You know what I really appreciate with this "analysis". The site being completely dismissive of a group people's work by calling it a "flop" after 5 days sales.

Over sensationalising reporting.

ItsJustAC

15 minutes ago

@varkdm I'm speaking about the fact that black artists are raising the issue about their moves being appropriated. That's not to say the moves derived are only from black artists. Hence why I said the artists in question. It speaks of a wider issue that has been raised eloquently on a number of occasions.

MadDave123

16 minutes ago

@riceNpea It's the same. Will mentioned it later in the article, but it's pre-order only from Amazon at the moment.

saxxonde

18 minutes ago

I want to play Hitman and I'll buy it eventually. I really liked the last game and I want to see more. BUT, it's not even a whole month since RDR2 came out and I'm nowhere near done with that game. And while I'm picking away at RDR2, I play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night simoultaneously for the first time, thanks to Castlevania Requiem. And I'm also interested in Spider-Man. It's hardly Hitman's fault. Judging by what everyone is saying and what I've seen so far it's exactly what I expect and what I expect is a great game. It's just that the last few weeks were packed with great games and I just don't have the time to play them all and I suspect I'm not the only one in this situation. It's a bummer to see it tank, but the release timing is just really bad.

edit: Oh man, I forgot Tetris Effect. That's a must buy for me too. Maybe I should tell everyone to get me a different game as christmas present and once they're all unpacked tell them all to fuck off so I can actually play through them.*

*that's a joke, obviously

rep-

19 minutes ago

And then there's Hitman 2, which scraped 10th place in the UK chart. Compare its sales with Absolution, the last game in the series not released episodically, and its physical launch sales are down 90 per cent.
How is this even a relevant comparison? Comparing apples to fish.

varkdm

20 minutes ago

@ItsJustAC so all of fortnite dance emotes are by black artists? I don't play the game but isn't the gangnam style dance one of these emotes? Pretty sure Psy isn't black...

fabio78

22 minutes ago

The thing is, as a time-consuming, hardcore experience, Hitman is facing heavy competition around this time of the year (let alone the fact that the same crowd is still busy playing RDR 2). Although overlapping, Spyro caters for a slightly different crowd. And Pokemon is Pokemon, and Fallout is Fallout. Itís a shame, really, as I love Hitman and love the first game and obviously will buy the second, but right now I canít justify buying it at full price and put it on my shelf while I work through my backlog. They should have released it around March.

Paul1979UK

22 minutes ago

@seanlowther Don't get me wrong, I don't support piracy but I can understand why so many do it because of how the law is designed which seems to protect the intrest of the rich at the expense of everyone.

Afterall, should artest really get royalties for 75 years of being alive and 75 after death?, the system is flawed.

Also, your logic is flawed with compareing a physical item to a digital one that is just making a copy of it and the original stay the same.

Posted in Husband and wife ordered to pay $12m to Nintendo for running ROM sites

glaeken

23 minutes ago

I am a big Fallout fan and would have said any Fallout game would be a day one purchase for me but I never even considered picking up Fallout 76. I just have no interest in a multiplayer Fallout game. So if I am at all representative of Fallout fans it coming in at number 3 is not too bad.

Even when it's eventually in the bargain bins I can't see me picking it up. The only chance it really has of me looking at it is if it's given away free on Xbox gold.

Scottoest

24 minutes ago

@Malek86 The thing I've never fully understood about crowdfunding, is - take Double Fine's kickstarter, for example; So, Double fine says we want to make a niche old-school adventure game, and raises a ton of money to do so via what are essentially paid pre-orders for the game.

So they make Broken Age using that money, and release the game... but didn't most people who were interested in an old-school Double Fine adventure game already buy it? How much actual PROFIT are you making in that scenario, when the full accounting is done?

It's like a weird inversion of traditional economics, where you get vast majority of the sales revenue first, and THEN make the game. But because that revenue largely becomes your budget, don't you come out the other end no further ahead really? And you're just basically subsisting project to project, hoping you crowdfund enough "preorders" to keep your entire studio paid?

Anyway, as far as inXile goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were purchased specifically BECAUSE Microsoft thinks they would be a valuable addition to their PC portfolio for Game Pass. There was that recent investor call where Satya Nadella casually mentioned bringing Game Pass to PC in the near future, versus the current situation where a small handful of Play Anywhere titles work.

Umang

24 minutes ago

@Bertie Yup, which is a niche I really enjoy and was in dire need of stability. Publishers like THQ Nordic thrive in it and have much deserved success, albeit with a few rough spots here and there.

Bertie

25 minutes ago

@Ror That's a good question. I'll bear it in mind. I imagine the answer is the studios want to get their games in front of as many people as possible, and Game Pass - for a studio like inXile - is probably the best way of doing that. Having a really attractive, exclusive subscription service - the Netflix model - is something I'm sure Microsoft is super keen on.

henrys777

25 minutes ago

it still surprises me to hear that yuzo composed streets of rage 3 music. didn't like ANY of the songs.

Posted in Off the streets and onto the dancefloor: the lasting impact of Streets of Rage's soundtrack

Ror

27 minutes ago

@Bertie
A good read, thanks! I'd have loved to see you ask Fargo what he thinks of Game Pass, though - whether he thinks it provides an opportunity for the kinds of games InXile has been making of late; games that are generally well-received but aren't really pulling massive numbers. Does the existence of Game Pass potentially mitigate the risk for these kinds of projects?

Microsoft have picked up a crazy amount of developers in a short span of time, and it seems this is a bit of a play to stuff Game Pass with content going forward, making it more appealing to potential subscribers. Does this then mean MS are less interested in unit sales overall, as they're looking to get the reliable, recurring income from Game Pass subs? I'd be interested to hear a developer's take on this - maybe something to broach to Feargus Urquhart if you can get that interview nailed down?

Bertie

27 minutes ago

@Umang Yeah, and not to forget that the crowdfunding boom caused a lot of publishing changes - and reinstated, to some degree, a double-A market.

fabio78

28 minutes ago

@TomMo91 comment of the year

Excelsion

28 minutes ago

Fallout 76 is trash, it's that simple.

TheBigClemente

28 minutes ago

@chucklepie Reviewers are still in negotiations with Bethesda about how much Bethesda is willing to pay for a good score.

TheBigClemente

29 minutes ago

I'm surprised Fallout managed to be on the top 3. Or on the top of anything that isn't a top of bad games.

ziggy_played_guitar

31 minutes ago

Spyro's also number one at Xbox online store, as of last night.

ibz100

32 minutes ago

@KYFHO69 Are you sure you're replying to the right person? What you said has absolutely nothing to do with my comment.

Posted in Counter-Strike pro caught cheating mid-tournament

ziggy_played_guitar

32 minutes ago

Good work Microsoft. Probably last gen's most beautiful game.

Posted in Final Fantasy 13 on Xbox One X is a back-compat masterpiece

FASELI

33 minutes ago

@gabortoth You clearly don't have a handle on this at all.

Umang

36 minutes ago

@Malek86 Crowdfunding was fine, up until 2 or 3 years ago. As Fargo stated in the interview, double A games budgest have increased significantly over the past couple of years, so raising 3 or 4 million dollars on Kickstarter will get you nowhere.

Obviously, the studio wants to move forward and not be stuck in 1 place. They want to evolve, and that requires stability and increased funding. Two things that crowdfunding does not provide.

RicardoG

36 minutes ago

Too bad, all he did was shooters with big muscle guys, I guess a lot of people is going to miss that.

Posted in Cliff Bleszinski says he'll "NEVER" make another video game

CynicBang

37 minutes ago

Hitman 2 is brilliant, it really deserves to sell head and shoulders above Fallout 76.

str8g8

37 minutes ago

Great article! Summed up my feelings about Thief games perfectly, I know that T2 is technically superior, but T1 is still my favourite.

I agree with the comments about level design and sound design really elevating this game above its peers. I would also add to that the writing and story telling - not just the cutscenes (which were great) but the little notes and scraps of paper left lying around, which really brought The City to life.

Also, on a pedantic note:
The second mission sees you performing a daring jailbreak from a rigorously structured Mechanist prison
It was a Hammerite prsion of course, the Meshanists didn't appear until T2.

I would also echo the comment regarding how terrifying this game is: play it in the dark with headphones. The sound effects for the giant spiders still gets me every time.

Posted in Thief: The Dark Project is 20 years old, and you should play it today

Rayza

39 minutes ago

Is 10th really a flop for an independent game?

chucklepie

40 minutes ago

When is the FO76 review coming out? I presume it's because there's an internal argument over whether giving it an Avoid will cause annoyance to Bethesda who will demand a Recommend ;-)

adamcutler

40 minutes ago

@Grandtrine have a downvote for your deeply unpleasant response to a post you clearly disagree with. Your points might be valid, your delivery methods are awful.

Posted in Diablo creator slams Blizzard in livestream

up_the_ante

42 minutes ago

@Doctor_What This always confused me as a kid. Why was the enigma track in streets of rage? And why were the monks from the enigma video in gamesmaster?! 😅

joost80

43 minutes ago

@mrcheesyelf In want Hitman but haven't bought it yet. Waiting for a good deal on the gold or collectors edition, which sadly (and knowingly) will come soon.

Cean

44 minutes ago

What a lovely article. Thief was my game for ages. I do prefer the sequel if only because I preferred the mechanical enemies to the supernatural. "Life of the Party" still remains my favourite level.

Posted in Thief: The Dark Project is 20 years old, and you should play it today