Rocket League's free-to-play release starts a new chapter for the game, opening up the competitive driving sports mash-up game to a whole new audience.
Alongside free-to-play comes a Battle Pass - named the Rocket Pass - which will allow you to unlock cosmetic items throughout Season 1.
The move follows developer Psyonix being acquired by Epic Games in 2019 - which means the new Season will offer a Fortnite event allowing players to unlock items in the massive competitive shooter for giving it a spin.
This page explains the Rocket League free-to-play release time and what else to expect in Rocket League Season 1.
On this page:
Rocket League free-to-play release time in BST, CEST, EDT and PDT explained
The Rocket League free-to-play release date is Wednesday, September 23rd, and will be available at the following Rocket League free-to-play release times:
- UK: 4pm (BST / UK)
- Europe: 5pm (CEST / West Europe)
- East Coast US: 11am (EDT / East Coast US)
- West Coast US: 8am (PDT / West Coast US)
The good news is the Season 1 update for the game has already gone live for purchasers of Rocket League - so we recommend downloading the update now, which, if you're playing as a free-to-play user, should allow you to log in straight after the above times.
Of course, there might be some maintenance or an additional patch ahead of time - so don't assume you'll be playing right away.
What is included in the Rocket League free-to-play launch and Season 1 update
Here's a list of the new features coming in the Rocket League free-to-play launch and Season 1 update at a glance:
- A new Rocket Pass (the game's version of a Battle Pass), with over 70 items which "celebrates the legacy of Rocket League", including the Harbinger car which is available immediately those those purchasing the Premium track.
- A new Competitive Season with new Decal rewards:
- A new Challenge menu, featuring Weekly and Season-long Challenges; more of the latter arrive as the Season goes on, while Weekly Challenges expire and are replaced each week.
You can expect the usual small tweaks and changes as part of a seasonal patch once the update arrives, too. If you're coming to Rocket League because of the Fortnite event and are new to the game - enjoy!