Riccitiello: "I personally don't like DRM"

But says 99.8 per cent don't notice it.

EA boss John Riccitiello doesn't like PC DRM, but reckons 99.8 per cent of people don't even notice it.

"We're still working out the kinks," he said at a conference watched by Yahoo.

"We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8 per cent of users wouldn't notice. But for the other 0.2 per cent it became an issue, and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it. 

"I personally don't like DRM. It interrupts the user experience. We would like to get around that, but there is this problem called piracy out there," he added.

This "cabal" specifically targeted DRM software SecuROM, which infamously limits Spore users to just three installations of the game.

However, compromises are being made; BioWare rethought SecuROM features in Mass Effect PC, and Red Alert 3 on PC will adopt "more lenient" DRM measures.

But fan feedback has been so vehement that EA faces a lawsuit for not properly educating shoppers about the inclusion of the third-party SecuROM software that apparently "secretly" installs itself on their computers and cannot be removed.

The community has also pointed out that SecuROM does nothing to stop piracy, as Spore was cracked before public release. Instead, they argue, the real target is the pre-owned, trade-in market.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Read our policy.

Jump to comments (64)

About the author

Robert Purchese

Robert Purchese

Senior Staff Writer  |  Clert

Bertie is senior staff writer and Eurogamer's Poland-and-dragons correspondent. He's part of the furniture here, a friendly chair, and reports on all kinds of things, the stranger the better.


You may also enjoy...

Comments (64)

Comments for this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

Hide low-scoring comments

Buy things with globes on them

And other lovely Eurogamer merch in our official store!

Eurogamer Merch