There has been a break in this quest series, with the last - An Inter-egg-sting Development - being released in October 2020 - but we're back to helping Doctor Willow investigate Team Go Rocket's nefarious activities.
You'll also be rewarded with experience and a range of items, including Mega Evolution Candy, for every quest steps you complete.
On this page:
How 'The Higher They Fly…' works in Pokémon Go
The Higher They Fly, which appeared in March 2021 at the start of the Season of Legends, is the latest in the line of Team Go Rocket quests.
To access this research quest, you must first complete the 'tutorial' quest, A Troubling Situation, and complete any previous Team Go Rocket quest you might have already collected, such as An Inter-egg-sting Development and The Shadowy Threat Grows.
Don't worry if you're far behind in the Team Go Rocket lineup, because, once you've completed your current Rocket quest, you'll automatically jump to The Higher They Fly…
Each Team Go Rocket quest is based around defeating the crime organisation grunts and purifying Shadow Pokémon, which can be found at invaded PokéStops around the world. You'll also need to battle the Leaders Arlo, Cliff and Sierra and, eventually, Giovanni.
Aside from these specific tasks, The Higher They Fly… works exactly the same as the other research quests, which challenge you to complete a number of objectives in a specific order.
There is no time limit for The Higher They Fly… and, after completing it, you'll automatically start the next Team Go Rocket research quest upon its release.
'The Higher They Fly…' quest tasks and rewards in Pokémon Go explained
Below you'll find all six quest steps, including each individual challenges and reward, for The Higher They Fly… in Pokémon Go.
Remember - you need to have completed your previous Team Go Rocket research quest, which may be An Inter-egg-sting Development, to access this quest.
Thank you to Amiibofan101 from reddit for the help with this information!
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 1 of 6
- Win a raid - 15 PokéBalls
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts - 3 Hyper Potions
- Catch 1 Shadow Pokémon - 3 Revives
Rewards: 10 Pinap Berries, 10 Nanab Berries and 10 Razz Berries
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 2 of 6
- Catch 5 Shadow Pokémon - 1 Sun Stone
- Make 3 Nice Curveball Throws in a row - 15 Great Balls
- Catch 10 Flying-type Pokémon - Doduo encounter
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 3 of 6
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokémon - 30 Mega Pidgeot Candy
- Defeat 5 Team Go Rocket Grunts - 30 Mega Pidgeot Candy
- Earn 3 Candies walking with your buddy - 30 Mega Pidgeot Candy
Rewards: 2000 XP, 1 Rocket Radar and a Pidgeot Candy
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo - 1250 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff - 1250 XP
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra - 1250 XP
Rewards: 2500 XP, 1000 XP and 1 Super Rocket Radar
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss - 5 Max Potions
- Battle the Team Go Rocket Boss - 20 Ultra Balls
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss - 5 Max Revives
Rewards: 3000 XP, 1 Fast TM and 1 Charged TM
'The Higher They Fly…' Step 6 of 6
- Claim Reward - 2000 XP
- Claim Reward - 2000 XP
- Claim Reward - 2000 XP
Rewards: 2 Golden Razz Berries, 2 Silver Pinap Berries and 1 Premium Battle Pass
The Season of Legends is here! The latest events include the Great League Remix and Rivals' Week, the latter seeing the debut of Skrelp and Clauncher. With it comes a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, the Legacy 40 Challenge quest and boosts to some XP sources - Platinum Medals, the arrival of Gen 6 Pokémon such as Espurr and changes to the Go Battle League We've recently seen the addition of 'Strange' red eggs and new Arlo, Cliff, Sierra and Giovanni line-ups.
Tips for completing 'The Higher They Fly…' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips which will help you complete The Higher They Fly in Pokémon Go:
- Don't forget to use Pinap Berries when catching Shadow Pokémon to ensure you gather enough Candy to purify the Pokémon once it's yours.
- Before battling the three Team Go Rocket Leaders and Giovanni, make sure you check the possibilities for their lineups, so that you can plan an effective team of counters.
- Since both the Leaders and Giovanni have a selection of Pokémon they can use, it's a good idea to investigate their team before properly defeating them. You can do this by using a Pokémon which is guaranteed to defeat their first Pokémon, which will always be the same, and, once you know what they're second choice is, you can plan accordingly. Just remember that their lineup may change if you move to a different PokéStop.
- If you're having trouble securing three Nice Throws in row, try finding a Pokémon with a large catch radius like Mr. Mime.
- Remember - you can now use a Remote Raid pass to partake in battles from the comfort of your own home.
Good luck completing the latest Team Go Rocket research quest!