This challenge sees you connected with your buddy Pokémon by taking them for walks and giving them treats.
Due to being a timed research questline, you need to ensure you complete Mega Buddy Challenge before the deadline, so that you can collect its rewards. Completing this challenge set will also help unlock a timed research quest for Halloween, which will involve the release of Mega Gengar.
On this page:
'Mega Buddy Challenge' dates and times in Pokémon Go explained
'Mega Buddy Challenge' is only available between Tuesday, 22nd September to Monday, 28th September, beginning at 8am (local time) and ending at 10pm (local time).
This timed research questline is separate and completely different from the 'A Mega Discovery' special research, which will always be available for players.
Mega Buddy Challenge consists of four quest steps, with you being rewarded for every challenge, and overall step, that you complete. The shortness of this quest is due to it being a timed research, which means that if you don't complete all the challenges before the deadline, you won't be able to enjoy all of the rewards.
Completing Mega Buddy Challenge is worth your time though, because it will help unlock a special Timed Research for the upcoming Halloween event, which will involve Mega Gengar.
'Mega Buddy Challenge' quest steps in Pokémon Go
Here you can find all the challenges and rewards for the Mega Buddy Challenge timed research quest in Pokémon Go. Read carefully though, because this section does contain spoilers for the entirety of the Mega Buddy Challenge.
Remember - completing Mega Buddy Challenge will help unlock a timed research for Halloween, which will include Mega Gengar.
Thank you to SilphScience from reddit for the help with this information.
'Mega Buddy Challenge' Step 1 of 4
- Catch 5 Pokémon - x3 Razz Berries
- Make 5 Great Throws - x3 Poké Balls
- Give your Buddy 3 treats - Houndour encounter
'Mega Buddy Challenge' Step 2 of 4
- Catch 10 Pokémon - x3 Pinap Berries
- Use 5 berries to help catch Pokémon - x3 Poké Balls
- Earn a Candy walking your Buddy - Buneary encounter
Rewards: x40 Beedrill Mega Energy, 1000 Stardust and 2000 XP
'Mega Buddy Challenge' Step 3 of 4
- Catch 9 different species of Pokémon - x3 Golden Razz Berries
- Mega Evolve a Pokémon - x3 Great Balls
- Earn 7 Hearts with your Buddy - Haunter encounter
Rewards: x50 Beedrill Mega Energy, 1000 Stardust and 2000 XP
'Mega Buddy Challenge' Step 4 of 4
- Claim Reward - x3 Silver Pinap Berries
- Claim Reward - x10 Poké Balls
- Claim Reward - x5 Ultra Balls
Rewards: 2000 Stardust, 5000 XP and Snorlax encounter
The Season of Celebration has arrived! With it comes a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, the Legacy 40 Challenge quest and boosts to some XP sources - Platinum Medals, the arrival of Gen 6 Pokémon such as Espurr and changes to the Go Battle League We've recently seen the addition of 'Strange' red eggs and new Arlo, Cliff, Sierra andGiovanni line-ups.
Tips for completing 'Mega Buddy Challenge' in Pokémon Go
Below you can find some tips that will help you complete the Mega Buddy Challenge in Pokémon Go:
- Switch to a buddy Pokémon that only requires you to walk 1km to earn a candy to quickly complete this challenge.
- Use an Incense to attract Pokémon to you, even if you're at home!
- If you need more Mega Beedrill Energy, then complete a few of the A Mega Discovery quest steps.
- It's easier to perform Great Throws on larger Pokémon like Hariyama.
Good luck completing Mega Buddy Challenge and experiencing more Mega Evolution!