Ditto is one of the most elusive creatures in Pokémon Go, because of its ability to disguise itself as other Pokémon.
In the main games, this purple blob knows one move - Transform - which allows it to copy the appearance and moveset of the opposing Pokémon, and its this ability which is recreated in Pokémon Go.
What Pokémon Ditto can be as in Pokémon Go changes too, so it's good idea to know which creatures its currently appearing as if you want to find one, especially if you wish to add a shiny Ditto to your collection.
On this page:
How do you catch Ditto in Pokémon Go?
Unlike any other Pokémon we've seen so far in the game, Ditto doesn't appear in the flesh when exploring the wild. Instead, Ditto will take the form of other Pokémon, and will reveal itself when it's been caught:
This means that you don't know whether the Pokémon around you are 'real' or are actually a Ditto. The chances of them being a Ditto appear to be very slim - the exact stats on its rarity are unclear currently - so it's a case of catching as many Pokémon as you can until one appears.
What Pokémon can Ditto be hiding as?
As of the start of the Season of Mischief on Wednesday, 1st September 2021, Ditto can be found hiding as the following creatures:
The Season of Mischief is here! Current events include the Season 9 of Go Battle League, the addition of Raid Achievements and the Misunderstood Mischief research quest. Shiny Ditto can also now be found in the wild and this tricky Pokémon is now appearing as new creatures! Meanwhile, the last major update saw a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, boosts to some XP sources and the addition of Platinum Medals. Inkay and Malamar are now in Pokémon Go!
How to get shiny Ditto in Pokémon Go
Shiny Ditto was originally released into Pokémon Go as part of the Tour: Kanto event and was one of the rewards from the Pokémon Go Tour: Kanto Special Research quest, which was only available to players who brought a ticket for the event. It was made available to all players - both in the wild or from completing a specific activity, such as a Research Breakthrough - at the start of the Season of Mischief on Wednesday, 1st September 2021.
The first is that if one of Pokémon which can be a Ditto, such as Drowzee, appears in its shiny form when you attempt to catch it, this Pokémon will not transform into a Ditto.
This ensures you won't miss out on the opportunity to catch a shiny version of this Pokémon, such as shiny Drowzee, which you may need for your collection.
The second is if you do successfully find a Pokémon which will turn into a Ditto upon being caught, then there is a chance it will turn into a shiny Ditto.
Basically if you want a shiny Ditto, then you need to keep catching the non-shiny versions of the Pokémon listed above until you get lucky!
What else you need to know about Ditto in Pokémon Go
Below you can find some more useful information about Ditto in Pokémon Go:
- A Ditto will appear in the wild for everyone, and isn't just a common Pokémon that can transform at random - so if you catch one, other players nearby can get the same one too. It'll also appear as a result of a Lure or Incense.
- According to the Pokémon Go sub-Reddit, you can take Ditto into the Gym with some surprising results. Whether attacking or defending, it'll turn into the opposing Pokémon and assuming their moves, but will keep its own CP and stats. While you'll lose a bit of time during the opening of the match before transforming, in theory you could take a higher CP Ditto into battle and put up a good fight.
- The first Pokémon Ditto will come up against is the one it'll assume for the rest of the Gym battle, so make sure you use it right to your advantage.
- If more than one Ditto face one another in a Gym, neither will transform. If so, it'll use its only other move outside of Transform - Struggle.
- Ditto is a Normal Type Pokémon and has no evolutions. Its Pokedex entry reads: "Ditto rearranges its cell structure to transform itself into other shapes. However, if it tries to transform itself into something by relying on its memory, this Pokémon manages to get details wrong."
- Though they are rare to come by, you can catch multiple Dittos - which makes sense, since they have their own Candy that's required for them to be powered up (thanks, The Silph Road sub-Reddit for confirming this).
- The walking distance as a Buddy Pokémon is 3km - the same as the starters, Abra evolution chain and much more.
Good luck catching Ditto in Pokémon Go!