There is a shiny Piplup in Pokémon Go, but that's not the only reason you should partake in this week's Spotlight Hour.
On this page we cover why you should spend some time catching Gen 4's Piplup during the hour-long window - including the chance to find a 100% perfect IV Piplup - and a preview of shiny Piplup that's up for grabs in Pokémon Go.
If you're interested in the other events currently occurring in Pokémon Go, we've recently seen the conclusion of the Misunderstood Mischief research - which has you track down leaders Arlo, Cliff and Sierra, as well as Giovanni - and completing it soon will allow you to participate in the Mischief Unbound quest for free.
On this page:
Piplup's 100% perfect IV in Pokémon Go explained
A good reason to partake in this week's Spotlight Hour is the chance to catch a perfect Piplup in Pokémon Go.
The CP values - which correspond to perfect 15/15/15 stats are as follows:
- Level 30 (wild CP maximum) - 921
- Level 35 (weather boosted CP maximum) - 998
Remember - wild CP value aligns with your trainer level until you reach Level 30. If you're currently below 30, then the maximum CP value will be different. Since the majority of the player base is now above Level 30, we kept to the values above to keep things simple.
Is there a shiny Piplup in Pokémon Go?
There is a shiny version of Piplup in Pokémon Go.
If you participated in this event, chances are you already have a handful of shiny Piplup available.
Remember, unlike Community Day, the shiny odds during Spotlight Hour don't increase - making it difficult you'll find a shiny during the hour window. It's through the increased spawn numbers, not odds, which will make it more likely you'll find a shiny during a given Spotlight Hour - so attempt to see as many Pokémon as possible to increase your chances!
What does shiny Piplup look like?
The difference between a regular and shiny Piplup sees the primary colour change from dark to light blue:
The Season of Heritage continues in 2022, along with the XP Challenge and a refreshed Go Battle League. Ongoing are Arlo, Cliff, Sierra counters and Giovanni counters. The major updates in the previous year include a level cap increase, the introduction of XL Candy, boosts to some XP sources and the addition of Platinum Medals.
Other reasons to catch as many Piplup as possible
Even if you already have a shiny Piplup, there are still some good reasons to catch as many Pokémon as possible during this Spotlight Hour, including:
- If you haven't had the chance to add Piplup or it's evolutions Prinplup and Empoleon to your Pokédex yet, then this Spotlight Hour is the perfect time to do so.
- Every Pokémon you catch during this Spotlight Hour will also benefit from double catch candy. Our recommendation for this is, as well as the highlighted creature in Spotlight Hour, is to open a Mystery Box and catch Meltans - one of the most useful creatures in the game which requires a lot of Candy to fully power up.
- There are no other bonuses from on-going events - but if you haven't already, using the hour to help complete any remaining Misunderstood Mischief research objectives to unlock Mischief Unbound if you haven't already.
- Piplup is a water type Pokémon, so you can use this hour to make some good progress on the water catch bonus medal.
Remember that Spotlight Hour only lasts for an hour - 6pm to 7pm (local time) - but don't worry, as the highlighted Pokémon will likely show up in another event soon!