Destiny 2 cross saves allows you to carry your progression between multiple platforms - whether it's PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X / S, Xbox One, PC or Google Stadia.
This means you can play on a console in one session, then transition to playing on PC with all your progress intact. This is also useful during the next-gen transition period, for those migrating from PlayStation to Xbox, or vice versa.
Performing cross save is also required step in order to transition your account from Blizzard's Battle.net service to Steam when the service moved in late 2019.
Learning how to cross save in Destiny 2 is relatively straightforward, though there are some cross save restrictions - including access to any purchased DLC or expansions - you should be aware of every time you make the leap.
Note cross saves is different to Destiny 2 crossplay, which allows you to play with friends on other platforms, a feature that is coming later.
How to set up cross save in Destiny 2 on any platform, including PlayStation, Xbox, PC or Stadia
Enabling cross save in Destiny 2 is free, allowing you to dabble in as many platforms as you like. Before you can use cross save in Destiny 2, however, you need to do some set up so Bungie knows which of your accounts are connected together.
First, you need log into Bungie.net (via whatever platform-specific account you play on) to start linking platforms. That might include your PSN account, Xbox Live account, Battle.net account, Steam account and Google Stadia account.
After logging in, head to the Cross Save area of your profile to get started.
You might need to perform one or two steps first - specifically, if you have already connected a Battle.net account, you have to connect it to Steam, and any accounts you have linked to your Bungie account need to be individually authenticated - this is a simple case of clicking the 'Authenticate' button and logging in to each one.
Next, you need to specify which account you want to play on other platforms. You'll see underneath specifically which characters and your Silver balance you have on each one to make this clear.
You cannot cherry pick a mixture of characters and progress between accounts - only one set of progress from one platform can be shared with the others.
For most players who have been playing on one platform until now this is straightforward, but if you have been double dipping on say both PS4 and PC, then you need to choose just one to play on the rest.
With that done, you can then confirm the set of characters and progress that'll be available on each of those linked accounts. When you next log into one of those accounts, your characters will then appear - including all the gear, loot and progress you unlocked along the way.
If you experience any issues along the way, try using a different web browser to the one you are currently using, as according to several comments on reddit, this can help. Similarly, there have been one or two hiccups with error messages at launch, so waiting a few days after the feature has gone live might be wise if you're having problems.
Season of the Lost is here, with new Exotics such as the Ager's Scepter and the long-awaited arrival of crossplay. New activities include the Wayfinders Voyage, the Astral Alignment activity and finding Atlas Skew, Trivial Mystery, Enigmatic Mystery, Parallax Trajectory and Ascendant Anchor locations. Elsewhere, we've seen new Nightfall weapons such as the Uzume RR4, Plug One.1 and Hung Jury SR4. Other recent new features include transmog and materials Synthstrand, Synthcord and Synthweave, the Splicer Gauntlet and Decrypted Data used to upgrade it.
Other details to know about how Destiny 2 cross save works
Destiny 2 cross save has some restrictions due to the way you may have purchased content on one platform or another. They are as follows:
- Silver will be locked to the original account you bought it from, and can only be accessed again on that family of platforms (such as within PlayStation or Xbox). However, anything your purchase with that Silver - including various Eververse cosmetics - will be available on other platforms.
- DLC - including expansions, the Annual Pass and seasons - will be locked to the platform you purchased it with. To play that content on other platforms, you have to purchase it again on those platforms. This includes expansions such as Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light, and any Annual Passes. (Note if you are playing on Xbox with Game Pass, you will have access to expansions included as part of your subscription.)
- You will only be able to be part of a single clan with a cross save - meaning your current clan will be available on all platforms you play on. Also, you can only play with clan mates if they are playing on the same platform as you are. You can see whether someone is using cross save on the roster screen (thanks Imgur via CapnTopDeck on reddit for this sneak peak:)
- It is possible disable cross save - useful for revisiting characters not tied to a certain platform after the cross save move. Once you have, you have to wait 90 days before you re-enable it again - which Bungie says is to discourage "activity like account recoveries by other players".
- Cross save will unlock achievements per platform when you log in, allowing you to, for example, unlock all earned PS4 Trophies after playing on Xbox Live previously. Might be worth doing when New Light launches!
- If there was any doubt, the ability to use Destiny 2 cross saves are free - you just need to own any DLC on top.
Finally, remember that cross saves are different to Destiny 2 crossplay, which allows you to play with friends on other platforms, a feature that is coming at a later date.