Torchlight 3 has surprise-launched on Steam in Early Access form.
It's available to buy there for £23.79.
Here's what's in the Early Access, per the official blurb:
- Travel the Frontier: Players can explore the wilderness, party with friends, gather materials to craft loot, or show off their spoils in town! There's always something to do in the new frontier.
- Build & Upgrade Your Fort: It's time to rebuild! Players will enjoy their very own account-based fort, where they can upgrade gear, and make renovations to show it off to their friends and the world. The game allows them to build monuments of power, pet stables, and more!
- Choose a Relic: Relics are objects of great power that grant players a suite of active skills and passive skills. Players can craft them, level them up and store them in their fort. The relic is an important part of a character's strategy - choose wisely!
- Collect Epic Gear: Whether it's armour, weapons, recipes, ember cores, or even new pets... there's always more to find as adventurers battle through dungeons and take on dangerous foes. Every randomly-generated area can be replayed over and over again since each instance brings different items.
- Pets are Back: Players can fight their way to fame and glory with loyal companions! Each of the many species comes in a myriad of colours and styles so adventurers shouldn't settle for the first one they find. They can also make these pets stronger by adding skills, equip them with gear to make them hardier, and together battle enemies as a team.
- Build Your Hero: With four classes to choose from, players can utilise class-specific mechanics to maximise damage and their odds of survival. Torchlight 3 lets them gather epic gear, select your Relic powers, and customise loadouts to create a unique combat style for their heroes.
Bertie interviewed Tyler Thompson, co-founder of Echtra Games and co-lead of Torchlight 3, in April and there's loads of great insight into the action role-playing game there.