On this page:
How 'The Shadowy Threat Grows' works in Pokémon Go
The Shadowy Threat Grows is the Giovanni Special Research quest for March 2020.
If you do have an unfinished Giovanni Special Research quest, then you must complete that first to unlock The Shadowy Threat Grows.
No matter which Giovanni Special Research quest you needed to complete, you'll start The Shadowy Threat Grows. This means that if you need to complete The Take-Over Continues to begin this new questline, you won't be given the opportunity to complete A Professor's Work Is Never Done.
The Shadowy Threat Grows has a total of six quest steps, each containing three individual challenges. The aim of this Special Research is to defeat Giovanni and catch the Legendary Shadow Pokémon for March - Entei.
How to complete each quest step of 'The Shadowy Threat Grows' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find the six quest steps, including the individual challenges, for The Shadowy Threat Grows.
If you haven't completed a Giovanni's Special Research quest before, however, be aware that these sections do contain spoilers for both the challenges and rewards.
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 1 of 6
- Spin 10 PokéStops (Encounter with Golem)
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts (500 XP)
- Catch 1 Shadow Pokémon (500 XP)
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 10 Poké Balls and Razz Berries
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 2 of 6
Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, 3 Hyper Potions and 3 Revives
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 3 of 6
- Use 6 super effective charge attacks in Gym battles (1,000 XP)
- Win 3 Great League trainer battles against another trainer (1,000 XP)
- Defeat 6 Team Go Rocket Grunts (1,000 XP)
Rewards: 1,500 Stardust, 15 Great Balls and 5 Pinap Berries
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (1,250 XP)
Rewards: 2,000 XP, Super Rocket Radar and 3 Golden Razz Berries
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss (2,500 Stardust)
- Fight the Team Go Rocket Boss (1,500 XP)
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss (3 Silver Pinap Berries)
Rewards: 3,000 Stardust, 1 Fast TM and 1 Charged TM
'The Shadowy Threat Grows' Step 6 of 6
These three challenges will be automatically completed when you reach this stage in the quest.
You'll be able to collect 2,000 XP for each one, which is 6,000 XP in total, along with three Max Revives, three Rare Candies and 20 Ultra Balls.
The Season of Mischief is here! Current events include the Season 9 of Go Battle League, the addition of Raid Achievements and the Misunderstood Mischief research quest. Shiny Ditto can also now be found in the wild and this tricky Pokémon is now appearing as new creatures! Meanwhile, the last major update saw a level cap increase - including the addition of XL Candy, boosts to some XP sources and the addition of Platinum Medals. Inkay and Malamar are now in Pokémon Go!
Other things to know about 'The Shadowy Threat Grows' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find a collection of tips that will help you complete The Shadowy Threat Grows:
- Invaded PokéStops will always shake when you approach them and have a dark purple colour.
- Razz and Nanab Berries will make it easier to catch Shadow Pokémon.
- Stock up on potions and revives before facing any Team Go Rocket member - it's highly likely that they'll knock out at least one of your Pokémon.
- Both Giovanni and the Team Go Rocket leaders change their party depending on which PokéStop you battle them at. This means that you can scout their team; simply create a team of Pokémon that will let you reach the second battle and then flee. Now you'll have enough information to pick the right Pokémon to defeat your opponent.
- If you find yourself surrounded by decoys with no Giovanni in sight, then consider checking in with your local Pokémon Go Whatsapp or Facebook grounp to see if someone's seen him recently.
Good luck defeating Team Go Rocket!