Throughout this set of Special Research Tasks, you'll have to battle members of Team Go Rocket, including the leaders - Arlo, Cliff and Sierra, purify Shadow Pokémon and, eventually, fight Giovanni, the leader of Team Go Rocket.
On this page:
How 'The Take-Over Continues' works in Pokémon Go
The Take-Over Continues is the January 2020 Giovanni Special Research quest.
You can only start The Take-Over Continues if you've completed both A Troubling Situation and any unfinished Giovanni Special Research quests, such as December's A Challenging Development, you might have.
If you do, however, have an unfinished Giovanni Special Research quest, then you must first complete that set of challenges to unlock The Take-Over Continues.
It's also important to note that you will skip straight to The Take-Over Continues, no matter where you are in the story. This means that if you complete November's Looming in the Shadows in January 2020, you'll automatically start The Take-Over Continues, rather than December 2019's Giovanni Special Research quest - A Challenging Development.
The Take-Over Continues consists of six different steps, which each have three individual challenges for you to complete.
Compared to the previous Giovanni Special Research quests, this one has slightly easier challenges. The number of Pokémon you need to purify for the second step, for example, has been decreased from 15 to five.
How to complete each quest step of 'The Take-Over Continues' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find the quest steps for The Take-Over Continues.
Be careful, however, as there are spoilers for both the challenges and rewards for each step in this quest.
Thank you to fabianfl111 from reddit for the help with this information.
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 1 of 6
- Spin 10 PokéStops (Encounter with Sudowoodo)
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts (500 XP)
- Catch 1 Shadow Pokémon (500 XP)
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 10 PokéBalls and 10 Razz Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 2 of 6
- Spin a PokéStop 3 days in a row (750 XP)
- Purify 5 Shadow Pokémon (750 XP)
- Win 5 Raids (750 XP)
Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, 3 Hyper Potions and 3 Revives
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 3 of 6
- Use 6 super effective charge attacks in Gym battles (1,000 XP)
- Win 3 Great League Trainer Battles against another Trainer (1,000 XP)
- Defeat 6 Team Go Rocket Grunts (1,000 XP)
Rewards: 1,500 Stardust, 15 Great Balls and 5 Pinap Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (1,250 XP)
Rewards: 2,000 XP, Super Rocket Radar and 3 Golden Razz Berries
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss (2,500 Stardust)
- Fight the Team Go Rocket Boss (1,500 XP)
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss (3 Silver Pinap Berries)
Rewards: 3,000 Stardust, 1 Fast TM and 1 Charged TM
'The Take-Over Continues' Step 6 of 6
All three challenges for this step will have automatically been completed, allowing you to collect 2,000 XP for each one. This means that you'll collect 6,000 XP in total.
Rewards: 3 Max Revives, 3 Rare Candies and 20 Ultra Balls
Pokémon Go in 2020 continues to add new features, such the arrival of the Go Battle League, Remote Raids and the trade evolution feature. There are also planned changes to PokéCoins on the way. Last year saw the release of the first Gen 5 Pokémon, and with it new regional exclusive Pokémon and the introduction of the Unova Stone. Meanwhile, it's nearly time to celebrate Pokémon Go Fest 2020! Pokemon Go also sees regular events - including weekly Spotlight Hour, monthly Field Research rewards and Pokémon Go Community Day.
Other things to know about 'The Take-Over Continues' in Pokémon Go
Below you'll find a collection of tips to help you complete The Take-Over Continues:
- Make sure you use Razz and Nanab Berries to make catching Shadow Pokémon easier.
- Invaded PokéStops are a sickly purple and shake.
- Stock up on Potions and Revives before confronting Team Go Rocket - their Shadow Pokémon are a lot stronger than regular Pokémon.
- Giovanni and his Team Go Rocket Leaders are far stronger than the regular Grunts, so make sure you pick the right Pokémon for each fight.