On this page:
How 'A Challenging Development' work in Pokémon Go
The only way to start A Challenging Development is have already completely Looming in the Shadows the month previously.
If you haven't completed Looming in the Shadows yet, then, when you do, that will count as your Team Go Rocket Special Research Task set for that month and you'll have to wait for the next to continue with the story-line.
A Challenging Development will see you continue the fight against Team Go Rocket; forcing them to flee PokéStops, while also capturing and purifying their Shadow Pokémon. Eventually you'll find yourself using Rocket Radar to hunt down the Team Go Rocket Leaders.
The quest consists of six steps, which each consist of three individual challenges. You'll be rewarded for every individual challenge and each overall step you complete.
These rewards will include the chance to fight Giovanni and the opportunity to catch that month's Legendary Shadow Pokémon, such as Shadow Zapdos if you complete the quest-line in December 2019.
How to complete each of the 'A Challenging Development' quest steps
Here are the quest steps and rewards for A Challenging Development. Be warned - there are spoilers below if you don't want to learn both the challenges and rewards for each step of this quest.
'A Challenging Development' Step 1 of 6
Rewards: 500 Stardust, 10 Pokéballs, 10 Razz Berries
'A Challenging Development' Step 2 of 6
- Spin a PokéStop 5 days in a row (750 XP)
- Purify 15 Shadow Pokémon (750 XP)
- Win 5 raids (750 XP)
Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, 3 Hyper Potions, 3 Revives
'A Challenging Development' Step 3 of 6
- Use 6 supereffective Charged Attacks in Gym battles (1,000 XP)
- Win 3 Great League Trainer battles (1,000 XP)
- Defeat 6 Team Go Rocket Grunts (1,000 XP)
Rewards: 1,500 Stardust, 15 Great Balls, 5 Pinap Berries
'A Challenging Development' Step 4 of 6
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Arlo (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Cliff (1,250 XP)
- Defeat Team Go Rocket Leader Sierra (1,250 XP)
Rewards: 2,000 Stardust, Super Rocket Radar, 3 Golden Razz Berries
'A Challenging Development' Step 5 of 6
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss (2,500 Stardust)
- Battle the Team Go Rocket Boss (1,500 XP)
- Defeat the Team Go Rocket Boss (3 Silver Pinap Berries)
Rewards: 3,000 Stardust, 1 Fast TM, 1 Charged TM
'A Challenging Development' Step 6 of 6
All three objectives will already by complete granting you 2,000 XP for each one.
Rewards: 3 Max Revive, 20 Ultra Balls, 3 Rare Candy
November features a string of events, the latest of which is Friend Fest week. We've recently seen the first Gen 5 Pokémon arrive - these include new regional exclusive Pokémon, Egg charts, and the introduction of the Unova Stone. Elsewhere this year we've also seen new Adventure Sync rewards, a Jirachi quest, Team Rocket Invasions and freeing Shadow Pokémon, as well as monthly Field Research rewards. Complete the Looming in the Shadows special research quest line to fight against the invading Team Go Rocket Leaders and Giovanni! Finally, we have details on the next Pokémon Go Community Day.
Other things to know about 'A Challenging Development' in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips to help you complete A Challenging Development:
- A Challenging Development is the Giovanni Special Research quest, which also makes it a month long quest.
- Stock up on Potions and Revives before fighting a Team Go Rocket Grunt, because Shadow Pokémon are far stronger than regular Pokémon.
- PokéStops that have been invaded by Team Go Rocket are discoloured and shake when you get close to them.
- Using Razz and Nanab Berries will help you catch any Shadow Pokémon you encounter.
- Once you've made a Rocket Radar you can't collect any more Mysterious Components until its used, so keep an eye on the contents of your bag.
- Team Go Rocket Leaders are a lot stronger than any of the Grunts, so make sure your chosen Pokémon is good matchup for their Pokémon.
Good luck foiling Team Go Rocket's evil plans!